Kahr takedown tool !!!!

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Kahr takedown tool !!!!

Post by AEA »

Here is an easy way to hold the slide in the correct position on a K9 while taking out the slide stop pin to disassemble the pistol. Simply use this wire cap and tap the pin out.

Experiment with other plastic or wood or other non-marring things you have around to find something similar that is the correct size for whatever Kahr you own. Makes life simpler!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Aggiedad

Re: Kahr takedown tool !!!!

Post by Aggiedad »

AEA wrote:Here is an easy way to hold the slide in the correct position on a K9 while taking out the slide stop pin to disassemble the pistol. Simply use this wire cap and tap the pin out.

Experiment with other plastic or wood or other non-marring things you have around to find something similar that is the correct size for whatever Kahr you own. Makes life simpler!
New to this forum so I didn't see your July post until now ... What "wire cap"? Was there a picture or link associated with your post?

shooter4
Posts in topic: 1

Post by shooter4 »

I use the stick end of a toothbrush, sanded down to fit down in the ejection port to hold the slide partially open, pop the pin with the flat side of a wooden tongue depresser (or popcycle stick), and then use the brush for cleaning the gun. Cheap and easy......... :tiphat:

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

This is genius.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
AEA

Post by AEA »

Aggiedad wrote: New to this forum so I didn't see your July post until now ... What "wire cap"? Was there a picture or link associated with your post?

Sorry, I no longer have the picture available either.
I believe it was a orange color (denotes size of wire the cap is for) or it may have been a yellow one. It is a plastic cap that you use to "screw" onto two wires to put them together (like installing a light fixture in your ceiling).

You can find lots of things to use. Wood dowels, plastic toothbrushes as mentioned above, etc that you can put in the ejection port and with the right size item it will hold the slide open at the right length that the slide lock can be pushed out easily without requiring three hands!

I sold the gun for that very reason, difficult to dis/re-assemble.
Otherwise, Kahr's are really fine guns.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

ninemm

Post by ninemm »

They're called "Wire Nuts" or, if you're in Canada, "Marrettes".

Aggiedad

Post by Aggiedad »

Gotta defend my manliness here ... I know what a wire cap/wire nut is ... (I'm a general contractor so I'd better know). The meaning of my question was: The OP said, "Simply use THIS (empahsis added) wire cap and tap the pin out" inferring that a pic was attached. I was curious HOW he was using the cap. Haven't tried his suggestion yet but it sounds like pure genious. The only reason I haven't cleaned my Kahr more often is because of the disassembly difficulty (amen on the three hands comment). Can't wait to try it.

Just call me "too sensitive" ...

grumble

Post by grumble »

"rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

Aggiedad

Post by Aggiedad »

:woohoo

Dusty Harry

Post by Dusty Harry »

Ditto on the toothbrush idea; the one I keep in my kit is tapered so it works for the K40 as well as the P380; just slide it in until the takedown notch lines up. (wow. my first post since joining after sniping here for months...)
Professional Training, Competition, Risk Avoidance, Situational Awareness, Tactical Mindset, 100,000+ rounds down range - the hardware is the least important part of the equation...

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I like it. this would probably work on several of mine, such as Keltecs.

The taper would make it easy to align the notch, and drop the cap into the breech at that point in it's taper.

I'll play with that. thanks for the tip
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

tetralaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tetralaw »

Good tip, I'm going to have to try this on my PM9

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

You folks are working way too hard.

Try this (right handed version - reverse for lefties) after making certain the gun is empty:

1. Lay the gun flat in your right hand.
2. Place the web of your hand / base of thumb at the top of the backstrap (where the web would be when you shoot)
3. Place the other 4 fingers of the right hand in a "cup" over the rear of the slide.
4. Squeeze your hand to retract the slide and line up the index lines on the left side of the slide and frame - hold that position
5. Use your left index or middle finger to start pushing the slide stop pin in from right to left. If the pin sticks (as it does on new guns) use a plastic pen or similar object to get it started. Any nonscratching piece of hard plastic will do.
6. Use your left hand to fully withdraw the slide stop pin.
7. Release the slide gently with your right hand
8. Pull the trigger to release the striker
9. Slide the slide forward off of the frame.

You can use the same "cupping" technique to line up the slide and frame for reinsertion of the slide stop pin during reassembly. The "cup" technique is easy to control and hold, and much easier than trying to line things up with the "slingshot" grip.

This sounds hard, but is actually extremely easy and you don't need any extra doodads to accomplish it.

It also works on virtually any semiauto with a slide stop lever attached to a takedown pin.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

tetralaw

Post by tetralaw »

I did try the hand only method and while it's not bad, having a non-marring object wedged in could make a difference. I have a virtually brand new PM9 with a nice amount of stiffness to it. I was able to strip it without using a wedge but I imagine someone with smaller or weaker hands might have some trouble.

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer »

Excaliber wrote:You folks are working way too hard.

Try this (right handed version - reverse for lefties) after making certain the gun is empty:

1. Lay the gun flat in your right hand.
2. Place the web of your hand / base of thumb at the top of the backstrap (where the web would be when you shoot)
3. Place the other 4 fingers of the right hand in a "cup" over the rear of the slide.
4. Squeeze your hand to retract the slide and line up the index lines on the left side of the slide and frame - hold that position
5. Use your left index or middle finger to start pushing the slide stop pin in from right to left. If the pin sticks (as it does on new guns) use a plastic pen or similar object to get it started. Any nonscratching piece of hard plastic will do.
6. Use your left hand to fully withdraw the slide stop pin.
7. Release the slide gently with your right hand
8. Pull the trigger to release the striker
9. Slide the slide forward off of the frame.

You can use the same "cupping" technique to line up the slide and frame for reinsertion of the slide stop pin during reassembly. The "cup" technique is easy to control and hold, and much easier than trying to line things up with the "slingshot" grip.

This sounds hard, but is actually extremely easy and you don't need any extra doodads to accomplish it.

It also works on virtually any semiauto with a slide stop lever attached to a takedown pin.
+1! I've been using this technique to disasseble my K40 since I bought it in 1994. I've never felt the need for a blocking device. For a non-marring push device for the takedown lever, I just use the plastic end of the magazine.
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

Return to “"How To" Tips”