Additional Step to Ensure Loaded/Unloaded Status

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Dave2
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Additional Step to Ensure Loaded/Unloaded Status

Post by Dave2 »

C-dub wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
C-dub wrote:When I'm not lazy I release the mag and eject the round in the chamber if there is one. Then I reinsert the mag and chamber a round, eject the mag to put the previously ejected round back in, and rereinsert the mag back into the gun and holster.
If you're chambering the same two bullets over & over again, be very careful about bullet setback. I've heard some people say it only ever happens on reloaded rounds, but I've had it happen to me with some of my factory JHP bullets. (Thankfully it's something that I'm somewhat paranoid about, so I haven't been bit by it yet.)
I haven't seen any yet.
I think it was a bad batch or something when it was happening to me. For a while there it seemed like I could only a couple chamberings out of a round before it'd get setback (Corbon 9mm +p 115gr JHP, FWIW). I haven't experienced it at all in nearly a year, though, so I guess they got their issues ironed out.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

C-dub wrote:
Dave2 wrote:If you're chambering the same two bullets over & over again, be very careful about bullet setback. I've heard some people say it only ever happens on reloaded rounds, but I've had it happen to me with some of my factory JHP bullets. (Thankfully it's something that I'm somewhat paranoid about, so I haven't been bit by it yet.)
I haven't seen any yet.
The new Hornady Critical Duty rounds were explicitly designed with cannelured bullets in semi-auto rounds to prevent bullet setback.

Here are some pictures from a message thread discussing this topic at Ohioans For Concealed Carry.

The 4th from the left is set back and so is the one in the middle with the black line on it.

Here is an example of bullet setback with 35 thousandths difference of COAL.

When we hear of gun KABOOMS at the range, most of the time we really don't know what caused it. I'm convinced that bullet setback is the culprit more often than people think.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

mjoplin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mjoplin »

Sounds like a great excuse to buy another gun that has a loaded chamber indicator. Will try passing that excuse by the wife tonight.... "rlol"
NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

carrydave

Post by carrydave »

I am new to concealed carry, and this site.

I have generally just opened the slide and felt for the bullet with my finger.

isn't that enough?

if it is loaded and i want it loaded i just pull it back a mm or so and see the brass.

are you doing this in the dark or something?

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Dave2 wrote:
C-dub wrote:When I'm not lazy I release the mag and eject the round in the chamber if there is one. Then I reinsert the mag and chamber a round, eject the mag to put the previously ejected round back in, and rereinsert the mag back into the gun and holster.
LSL wrote:Always in the correct order: Remove magazine; rack to eject round; visually inspect chamber/barrel; replace magazine; rack to load one round; eject magazine and manually "top off"; replace magazine
If you're chambering the same two bullets over & over again, be very careful about bullet setback. I've heard some people say it only ever happens on reloaded rounds, but I've had it happen to me with some of my factory JHP bullets. (Thankfully it's something that I'm somewhat paranoid about, so I haven't been bit by it yet.)
LSL wrote:Finger always off the trigger.
:iagree: :thumbs2:
:iagree:

I have seen setback on factory JHP rounds as well. Always something to be mindful of...

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Bullet setback isn't the only potential issue with repeated chambering and ejecting of the same round. The extractor will nick the case rim with each cycle and it's possible to reach the point where the round may not eject reliably. If you run your finger around a round that's been through several cycles, you'll easily feel the rim damage.

I put the rounds in my practice batch after about 5 cycles just to be sure. An FTE is a very bad thing after the first round in a firefight.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Robert*PPS

Post by Robert*PPS »

My PPS has a chamber "window" where I can look down from the top and see the back of the round chambered. It's quick and easy verification, but I've always wondered if I can see the chambered round, would there not be ignition gas escaping from that window thereby dropping the propulsion pressure? I don't know how it works, but it does!

Dave2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dave2 »

Robert*PPS wrote:My PPS has a chamber "window" where I can look down from the top and see the back of the round chambered. It's quick and easy verification, but I've always wondered if I can see the chambered round, would there not be ignition gas escaping from that window thereby dropping the propulsion pressure? I don't know how it works, but it does!
I think the pressure seals the casing to the chamber until the bullet leaves the barrel.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

LesRoberts

Post by LesRoberts »

Jumping Frog wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Dave2 wrote: When we hear of gun KABOOMS at the range, most of the time we really don't know what caused it. I'm convinced that bullet setback is the culprit more often than people think.
I don't recall who made the video, but there is a video on youtube about KB's from bullet setback, said individual took a hammer to the end of the bullet and caused very noticeable setback and fired quite a few rounds like this. I believe it was a 40 s&w glock

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Press check is a reliable and safe method of verifying the condition of the gun. No need for "mirror and flashlight" tricks. :lol:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

jbarn wrote:Press check is a reliable and safe method of verifying the condition of the gun. No need for "mirror and flashlight" tricks. :lol:
Press checks are one of the more enjoyable routines a person does to ensure they are ready. In the case of revolvers, opening the cylinder and closing is appropriate too.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

This thread is another reason I like to hang-out here and mill around. As a newbie to semi-auto firearms I had to look-up "press check" and "bullet setback". I'm gonna practice the press check, and I'm also going to pay close attention to the fit of a bullet to a casing as I load & unload.

Thanks folks.

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

eject the magazine, ejecting round, cycling slide a few times to make sure nothing else in the chamber, lock slide, visually check chamber, insert magazine, slide release to chamber new round,safety on, release magazine, thumb out couple of rounds, load ejected round into mag along with other rounds, insert mag, double check making sure safety is on.
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

RetNavy wrote:eject the magazine, ejecting round, cycling slide a few times to make sure nothing else in the chamber, lock slide, visually check chamber, insert magazine, slide release to chamber new round,safety on, release magazine, thumb out couple of rounds, load ejected round into mag along with other rounds, insert mag, double check making sure safety is on.
The press-check for semi-autos has been standard practice for decades. Grip the pistol with your offhand. Use your dominant hand to grasp the slide and move it a few millimeters backward. Check the chamber and release the slide.

You have secured the slide and successfully performed a press-check.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Not a bad idea, but I still press check every time. Not that I ever unload the my main carry gun but still...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “"How To" Tips”