Heat stippling

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

lowonair
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Heat stippling

Post by lowonair »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
lowonair wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:You just voided your warranty. :mrgreen:

A 1911 would have obviated the need to do this. "rlol" :smilelol5: :biggrinjester: :evil2:
most 1911's dont come with front strap serrations anyway so you have to send it back to have them done. this can be done at home. :tiphat:

and glocks dont need warranties ;-)
Yeah, but the ones that don't can be fixed with skateboard tape.... ....without voiding the warranty. :mrgreen:
i forgot, 1911's require more time at the gunsmith so there's no time for serrating the front strap.... :smilelol5:

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 4

Post by A-R »

lowonair wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:
lowonair wrote:how long did it take to do the stippling? any pics of how much you sanded off the front and back? did you sand the sides befor doing this? i have a 2.5 gen g36 that i want to try this on.
I've since done my G27 too (actually sold this G22). The G27 took about an hour start to finish. G22 about 90 minutes because slightly larger and two patterns. The G27 is newer so the side panel patterns were still in good shape and left them alone.

The sanding was fairly minimal - sanded off the raised peaks that form the finger "grooves", then just sanded the original front and back texture to smooth it a bit and leave it roughly same level as the corners, if that makes sense. This just makes it easier to make a uniform pattern with the soldering iron/woodburner tip.

so on the back of the grip you dont sand the texture completely off? seems to me that would take too much off the structure of the polymer. i'm just worried about the little raised grooves on the front and rear and how to do those areas.
I never go any "deeper" than the base layer of the grip "under" the OEM texture if that makes sense. Take a look at this photo again.

I remove the "bumps" or ridges which form the finger grooves. After that, I sand down slightly the little raised square texture slightly - just enough so that it is uniform enough when I start doing the point & drag stippling effect. I never even get close to that base layer of polymer you see beneath the little square texture nubs.

And caveat for ALL of this is of course that I'm not even mediocre a garage gunsmith and certainly not certified or accredited or in any way whatsoever an "expert" in any of this. Follow my directions at your own risk. Knock on wood, this has worked for me so far.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

lowonair wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
lowonair wrote:

A 1911 would have obviated the need to do this. "rlol" :smilelol5: :biggrinjester: :evil2:
most 1911's dont come with front strap serrations anyway so you have to send it back to have them done. this can be done at home. :tiphat:

Yeah, but the ones that don't can be fixed with skateboard tape.... ....without voiding the warranty. :mrgreen:
i forgot, 1911's require more time at the gunsmith so there's no time for serrating the front strap.... :smilelol5:
Five 1911s in the safe with never a "required" trip to a gunsmith. You are obviously poorly informed, sir! Admit that you're just jealous! "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jtran987
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jtran987 »

glad it turned out good for you! :patriot:

lowonair
Posts in topic: 5

Post by lowonair »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
lowonair wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
lowonair wrote:

Five 1911s in the safe with never a "required" trip to a gunsmith. You are obviously poorly informed, sir! Admit that you're just jealous! "rlol"
your just lucky. every one that i've owned could go 50 rounds without something happening.
austinrealtor wrote:
lowonair wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:
lowonair wrote:how long did it take to do the stippling? any pics of how much you sanded off the front and back? did you sand the sides befor doing this? i have a 2.5 gen g36 that i want to try this on.
I've since done my G27 too (actually sold this G22). The G27 took about an hour start to finish. G22 about 90 minutes because slightly larger and two patterns. The G27 is newer so the side panel patterns were still in good shape and left them alone.

The sanding was fairly minimal - sanded off the raised peaks that form the finger "grooves", then just sanded the original front and back texture to smooth it a bit and leave it roughly same level as the corners, if that makes sense. This just makes it easier to make a uniform pattern with the soldering iron/woodburner tip.

so on the back of the grip you dont sand the texture completely off? seems to me that would take too much off the structure of the polymer. i'm just worried about the little raised grooves on the front and rear and how to do those areas.
I never go any "deeper" than the base layer of the grip "under" the OEM texture if that makes sense. Take a look at this photo again.

I remove the "bumps" or ridges which form the finger grooves. After that, I sand down slightly the little raised square texture slightly - just enough so that it is uniform enough when I start doing the point & drag stippling effect. I never even get close to that base layer of polymer you see beneath the little square texture nubs.

And caveat for ALL of this is of course that I'm not even mediocre a garage gunsmith and certainly not certified or accredited or in any way whatsoever an "expert" in any of this. Follow my directions at your own risk. Knock on wood, this has worked for me so far.
i think i'll try this out soon. gonna try it on a few things before i jump to my glocks. how is the tree bark style done? seems more cmplicated.

dessl

Post by dessl »

Bob the stippling on your glock looks good! How does it feel in your hand after shooting 50 rounds?

ske1eter

Post by ske1eter »

Here's the starburst pattern I put on my M&P's. Since this picture was taken, I've done the front of the grip as well.

NOS

Post by NOS »

ske1eter wrote:Here's the starburst pattern I put on my M&P's. Since this picture was taken, I've done the front of the grip as well.

Very nice work! :tiphat:
06/06/2010 Class Taken
06/17/2010 Packet Mailed
06/19/2010 Packet Received
07/07/2010 Status Online/Application Missing
07/12/2010 Mailed New Application
07/15/2010 Application Complete
08/18/2010 Fingerprints Complete
08/24/2010 Background Complete
08/27/2010 Mailed
09/01/2010 Plastic

Return to “"How To" Tips”