Heat stippling

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 4

Heat stippling

Post by A-R »

So I've started experimenting with heat stippling, hoping to build up the nerve and skill to stipple my Glocks. So far I have done a bunch of test patterns on a pair of Glock mag loaders, and just this week stippled both a standard AR-15 grip and a new Magpul MOE grip. See photos of standard AR-15 grip below.

I've tried a bunch of different techniques, including those explained in this link:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=421415" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I now have 6 or 7 screw heads all cut into waffle-like patterns as described in link above. This works reasonably well. But I've since found that I like the results of the point-n-drag method better. This is done by pressing a rounded soldering iron tip into the polymer briefly, then dragging it down and lifting away. This produces the upside-down tear drop effect you see in the photos below. Used a standard Weller soldering iron I had laying around the garage with the screw head techniques. But for the tear drop technique I ended up buying a Weller "woodburning" iron from Sears because it had a lot of tips (including some that look just like the homemade screw head tips). Only downside is the screw threads for the two different Weller irons or different size (oh well). But now have two different irons to play around with.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 921x00003a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear anyone else's experience, tips, stories regarding this polymer-frame customizing.

Hopefully I'll work up the nerve to try this on my ol' Glock 22 LEO trade-in gun soon.

The Annoyed Man

Re: Heat stippling

Post by The Annoyed Man »

On the upside, it is hard to mess up the looks of a Glock any further, so it doesn't take as big a leap of courage to try it. :smilelol5: Sorry man, I couldn't resist...

I guess the one thing I would be worried about with heat stippling is: A) whether or not the applied heat would alter the characteristics of the polymer, making it somehow less resilient on cooling; and B) sneezing.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cope
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cope »

Nice job.

I wouldn't dare attempt it on my own guns, so I just send mine to Dale Hunnicutt.

Keep up the good work.

Bob Landry

Post by Bob Landry »

Here are two I did with a Hobby Lobby woodburner, one with a standard type stipple and the other in a tree-bark texture.

Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

Well I finally made the plunge and heat stippled an old cop trade-in Glock 22. This was my final test before doing the same to my Glock 27 (and probably my G23 later on).

I think it turned out well. Sanded off the front finger grooves, then sanded down the existing grip texture on front and back. Also sanded a bit away from under the trigger guard where the middle finger rests. Used the point-n-pull teardrop technique on the front and back straps, and one of the patterned screw heads for the sides. It was a little aggressive on the side that presses against my body while carrying IWB so I sanded it heavily with a Dremel "abrasive buff" tip 180 grit (like this one ... http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachments ... x?pid=511E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and now it's very comfortable.

Put 50 rounds through the gun and I really like the way it feels when shooting. Not too much, just enough grip. And MUCH better than the factory grip texture.

Photos showing my handiwork next to a standard Glock.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I like the guy that did the PS3 controller
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Zoomie

Post by Zoomie »

austinrealtor wrote: Put 50 rounds through the gun and I really like the way it feels when shooting.

Wait, are you still talking about a Glock at this point? :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist either.
"Speed is fine accuracy is final."
-Wyatt Earp

"Great danger lies in the notion we can reason with evil."
-Winston Churchill

And the wind shall say 'Here were decent godless people'. Their only monument the asphalt road and a thousand lost golf balls.
-T.S Elliot

lovemybersa
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lovemybersa »

Bob Landry wrote:Here are two I did with a Hobby Lobby woodburner, one with a standard type stipple and the other in a tree-bark texture.

These look incredible! Great job!
Shannon
Bersa .380CC
Firestorm Mini 45
Taurus 45/410
Tanfoglio 9mm Compact (Jericho)

lovemybersa
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lovemybersa »

austinrealtor wrote:Well I finally made the plunge and heat stippled an old cop trade-in Glock 22.

I think they turned out great! If they work for you and you had fun doing it, that is all that counts!
Shannon
Bersa .380CC
Firestorm Mini 45
Taurus 45/410
Tanfoglio 9mm Compact (Jericho)

lowonair
Posts in topic: 5

Post by lowonair »

how long did it take to do the stippling? any pics of how much you sanded off the front and back? did you sand the sides befor doing this? i have a 2.5 gen g36 that i want to try this on.

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

lowonair wrote:how long did it take to do the stippling? any pics of how much you sanded off the front and back? did you sand the sides befor doing this? i have a 2.5 gen g36 that i want to try this on.
I've since done my G27 too (actually sold this G22). The G27 took about an hour start to finish. G22 about 90 minutes because slightly larger and two patterns. The G27 is newer so the side panel patterns were still in good shape and left them alone.

The sanding was fairly minimal - sanded off the raised peaks that form the finger "grooves", then just sanded the original front and back texture to smooth it a bit and leave it roughly same level as the corners, if that makes sense. This just makes it easier to make a uniform pattern with the soldering iron/woodburner tip.

lowonair

Post by lowonair »

austinrealtor wrote:
lowonair wrote:how long did it take to do the stippling? any pics of how much you sanded off the front and back? did you sand the sides befor doing this? i have a 2.5 gen g36 that i want to try this on.
I've since done my G27 too (actually sold this G22). The G27 took about an hour start to finish. G22 about 90 minutes because slightly larger and two patterns. The G27 is newer so the side panel patterns were still in good shape and left them alone.

The sanding was fairly minimal - sanded off the raised peaks that form the finger "grooves", then just sanded the original front and back texture to smooth it a bit and leave it roughly same level as the corners, if that makes sense. This just makes it easier to make a uniform pattern with the soldering iron/woodburner tip.

so on the back of the grip you dont sand the texture completely off? seems to me that would take too much off the structure of the polymer. i'm just worried about the little raised grooves on the front and rear and how to do those areas.

The Annoyed Man

You just voided your warranty. :mrgreen:

A 1911 would have obviated the need to do this. "rlol" :smilelol5: :biggrinjester: :evil2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

lowonair

Post by lowonair »

The Annoyed Man wrote:You just voided your warranty. :mrgreen:

A 1911 would have obviated the need to do this. "rlol" :smilelol5: :biggrinjester: :evil2:
most 1911's dont come with front strap serrations anyway so you have to send it back to have them done. this can be done at home. :tiphat:

and glocks dont need warranties ;-)

The Annoyed Man

lowonair wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:You just voided your warranty. :mrgreen:

most 1911's dont come with front strap serrations anyway so you have to send it back to have them done. this can be done at home. :tiphat:

and glocks dont need warranties ;-)
Yeah, but the ones that don't can be fixed with skateboard tape.... ....without voiding the warranty. :mrgreen:

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “"How To" Tips”