Loading The Ruger Mk II Mag

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Kyle Brown
Posts in topic: 1

Loading The Ruger Mk II Mag

Post by Kyle Brown »

I have a couple of Ruger Mk IIs that I have been shooting for many years. I made this video this afternoon to show the technique I use to hold down the follower without injuring my thumb/fingers. I am sure there are many other ways to do this, so please share your technique.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas CHL Instructor
Paralegal Division-State Bar Of Texas
NREMT

Teamless

Re: Loading The Ruger Mk II Mag

Post by Teamless »

For my Mark III, this is what i use.
With it, I can load my magazine in about 5 seconds, with almost no effort and no very sore thumb!
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/91 ... -and-mkiii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Estand

Post by Estand »

I have one of those loaders like Teamless does. It works well once you figure out how to use it. Some people can't "work it" even after demo and instruction. I find it a bit bulky though.

I ended up making a simple loader out of kydex that just slips in my pocket or sometimes hangs around my neck with some paracord. the mag just slips through the hole and pushes down the thumb thingy.
Here is how it looks: http://db.tt/WKdy3vFZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First picture inserted in a post so hopfully it worked.

Edited..i found it works with the browning buckmark mags too (the one I made)

mot7981

Post by mot7981 »

Thanks for the tip guys. I have a Mk II that I love to shoot. Super reliable and accurate. Now on top of that, no more sore thumb.
:woohoo

Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Kyle Brown wrote:I have a couple of Ruger Mk IIs that I have been shooting for many years. I made this video this afternoon to show the technique I use to hold down the follower without injuring my thumb/fingers. I am sure there are many other ways to do this, so please share your technique.

Wish I would have had this tip years ago. Thanks :thumbs2:
"You're a hard man, Mr. Andersen."
"It's a hard life".
John Wayne "The Cowboys"

mlawler

Post by mlawler »

I've been using that technique for years. Only works on older Mk II mags, most newer ones have oversized buttons to make pressing them down by thumb easier. (Now if somebody could come up with an easier way to put the dang gun back together after disassembly....... :clapping: )

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

They used to make a depresser that slipped over the mag and held the follower down so you can load it with no sore thumbs..
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Deltaboy wrote:They used to make a depresser that slipped over the mag and held the follower down so you can load it with no sore thumbs..
A method the wife and I used for our Rugers was just notching the button against the side of a table or even the carrying box we brought the shells in. That always worked just fine.

Pug

Post by Pug »

Teamless wrote:For my Mark III, this is what i use.
With it, I can load my magazine in about 5 seconds, with almost no effort and no very sore thumb!
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/91 ... -and-mkiii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Something I've wanted for years... TYVM

myntalfloss

Post by myntalfloss »

Teamless wrote:For my Mark III, this is what i use.
I wrote to these folks late last year inquiring if they were going to make one for SR22.

Their response:

We plan on looking at the SR22, but we already have some prototype adapters to mold first before we get to the SR22. Each mold takes 2 - 3 month to make, it could take a year or so before we get to it.

Thanks,
Debbie Jamison
McFadden Machine Co., Inc.
160 Hill Road
Blairsville PA 15717
1-724-459-9278
Fax 1-724-459-0735
djamison@mcfaden.com
http://www.mcfaden.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RossA »

I'm still trying to figure out the disassembly/assembly on one that I inherited.
I would love to shoot it, but I'm not going to shoot any gun that I can't disassemble and clean.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The magazine for my 22/45 is similar. I don't see the issue. I pull the button down, and stick the cartridges into the magazine, no problem.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I always just pushed the knob against the table or whatever was nearby. It was never a big deal for myself or my Wife when she "appropriated" my target pistol.

Never let your wives or daughters shoot your favorite guns. You may never see them again. :cryin :nopity

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Kyle Brown wrote:I have a couple of Ruger Mk IIs that I have been shooting for many years. I made this video this afternoon to show the technique I use to hold down the follower without injuring my thumb/fingers. I am sure there are many other ways to do this, so please share your technique.

Thanks for the video Kyle. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

RossA wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the disassembly/assembly on one that I inherited.
I would love to shoot it, but I'm not going to shoot any gun that I can't disassemble and clean.
I've found that holding my tongue against the inside of my left cheek, standing on my right foot, while attempting to whistle with my ears, is a valid technique.

Aside from that, there's usually a decibel level around me when reassembling the Mk II that would not be out of place on an airfield, until I remember the proper sequence of reassembly.

Return to “"How To" Tips”