Painting sights

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Painting sights

Post by skeathley »

I find that at my age, the contrast between the front and rear sights is not sufficient, especially in low light. I have used commercial sight paint before, but wasn't that impressed. The gun in question, a CZ 9mm, has night sights standard, but the dots seemed too small.

I went to Hobby Lobby, the hobbist chain store, and bought some small artist brushes and two small containers of metallic paint (white and fire-engine red). In front, I painted the ramp up to the top, red, covering all the horizontal surface. In back, I painted the vertical posts white, covering all the vertical surface, and connected the posts across the bottom to form a U.

Total cost: about $10, and the results were spectacular. Acquiring a sight-picture was faster than ever, and groups tightened up a good bit.

:cool:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

scokill

Re: Painting sights

Post by scokill »

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip. My vision isn't what it used to be either.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

There were some previous discussions on the forum about this as well

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RKlenka

Post by RKlenka »

This is something i have been looking into as well, what i have noticed in my M&Pc is the sights are a bit indented and some lint and dirt can get in there and dull it out until i get around to cleaning it. I been planning on switching them out for some night sights but this should hold me over until then.
Texas CHL Instructor - NRA Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Black powder rifle, Black powder pistol
Russian Martial Art Systema Instructor, American Ninjutsu Instructor, CTCTG Instructor/Facilitator
http://www.fortworthcombatives.com

bdsnooks

Post by bdsnooks »

FWIW, I have painted several sights and have found that a toothpick works much better (for me) than a brush-----
After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring.
He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.
The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I ran across this the other night. It might help someone.

[youtube][/youtube]
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

scokill wrote:I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip. My vision isn't what it used to be either.

Same here, I went to Hobby Lobby but the paint I got wasn't lasting. I found out Ultra Green V10 Glow in the Dark paint lasts longer and the price is ok. I clean the old paint with a small drill and instead of a brush I use a tooth pick.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

skeathley wrote:I find that at my age, the contrast between the front and rear sights is not sufficient, especially in low light. I have used commercial sight paint before, but wasn't that impressed. The gun in question, a CZ 9mm, has night sights standard, but the dots seemed too small.

I went to Hobby Lobby, the hobbist chain store, and bought some small artist brushes and two small containers of metallic paint (white and fire-engine red). In front, I painted the ramp up to the top, red, covering all the horizontal surface. In back, I painted the vertical posts white, covering all the vertical surface, and connected the posts across the bottom to form a U.

Total cost: about $10, and the results were spectacular. Acquiring a sight-picture was faster than ever, and groups tightened up a good bit.

:cool:
We routinely do this on our .22 pistols.
However we use fingernail polish. Thanks to the miracle of Dad's wallet ( :cryin ) my daughter has a full and complete line of fingernail polishes. I use standard white but the Wife uses a pinkish red. They work excellently and the fingernail polish is more resistant to wear.

Now that you mention it my CC is getting blur to my old eyes. I might try that.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

We did it on my daughter's Colt 1911-22. She had some really bright orange nail polish and we painted just the front sight. It has helped quite a bit.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “"How To" Tips”