Painting sights

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
skeathley

Painting sights

Postby skeathley » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:56 pm

I find that at my age, the contrast between the front and rear sights is not sufficient, especially in low light. I have used commercial sight paint before, but wasn't that impressed. The gun in question, a CZ 9mm, has night sights standard, but the dots seemed too small.

I went to Hobby Lobby, the hobbist chain store, and bought some small artist brushes and two small containers of metallic paint (white and fire-engine red). In front, I painted the ramp up to the top, red, covering all the horizontal surface. In back, I painted the vertical posts white, covering all the vertical surface, and connected the posts across the bottom to form a U.

Total cost: about $10, and the results were spectacular. Acquiring a sight-picture was faster than ever, and groups tightened up a good bit.

:cool:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

scokill

Re: Painting sights

Postby scokill » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:04 pm

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip. My vision isn't what it used to be either.

Keith B

Postby Keith B » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:32 pm

There were some previous discussions on the forum about this as well

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52380 and

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44446
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RKlenka

Postby RKlenka » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:55 am

This is something i have been looking into as well, what i have noticed in my M&Pc is the sights are a bit indented and some lint and dirt can get in there and dull it out until i get around to cleaning it. I been planning on switching them out for some night sights but this should hold me over until then.
Texas CHL Instructor - NRA Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Black powder rifle, Black powder pistol
Russian Martial Art Systema Instructor, American Ninjutsu Instructor, CTCTG Instructor/Facilitator
http://www.fortworthcombatives.com

bdsnooks

Postby bdsnooks » Thu May 22, 2014 7:45 pm

FWIW, I have painted several sights and have found that a toothpick works much better (for me) than a brush-----
After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring.
He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.
The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

Pawpaw

Postby Pawpaw » Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 pm

I ran across this the other night. It might help someone.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=9aESA9j59iU[/youtube]
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

bmwrdr

Postby bmwrdr » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:46 am

scokill wrote:I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip. My vision isn't what it used to be either.

Same here, I went to Hobby Lobby but the paint I got wasn't lasting. I found out Ultra Green V10 Glow in the Dark paint lasts longer and the price is ok. I clean the old paint with a small drill and instead of a brush I use a tooth pick.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Postby Cedar Park Dad » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:25 am

skeathley wrote:I find that at my age, the contrast between the front and rear sights is not sufficient, especially in low light. I have used commercial sight paint before, but wasn't that impressed. The gun in question, a CZ 9mm, has night sights standard, but the dots seemed too small.

I went to Hobby Lobby, the hobbist chain store, and bought some small artist brushes and two small containers of metallic paint (white and fire-engine red). In front, I painted the ramp up to the top, red, covering all the horizontal surface. In back, I painted the vertical posts white, covering all the vertical surface, and connected the posts across the bottom to form a U.

Total cost: about $10, and the results were spectacular. Acquiring a sight-picture was faster than ever, and groups tightened up a good bit.

:cool:

We routinely do this on our .22 pistols.
However we use fingernail polish. Thanks to the miracle of Dad's wallet ( :cryin ) my daughter has a full and complete line of fingernail polishes. I use standard white but the Wife uses a pinkish red. They work excellently and the fingernail polish is more resistant to wear.

Now that you mention it my CC is getting blur to my old eyes. I might try that.

C-dub

Postby C-dub » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:53 am

We did it on my daughter's Colt 1911-22. She had some really bright orange nail polish and we painted just the front sight. It has helped quite a bit.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Return to “"How To" Tips”