Replacing sights-- How easy is it?

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TomV
Posts in topic: 1

Replacing sights-- How easy is it?

Post by TomV »

I just discovered my new to me Sig P250 has Sig night sights on it. However, the left rear does not light up.

I would also like to put night sights on my Beretta Storm. I like the Trijicon sights, but they recommend professional installation (of course).

How hard is it to do?
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

extremist

Re: Replacing sights-- How easy is it?

Post by extremist »

It's very easy if you have a sight pusher. Otherwise, you take the risk of damaging the finish your slide if you don't do it right with a good vice and hammer/punch.

I have a sight pusher, bought 10+ years ago and it has paid for itself for me.

Kind of expensive for a one-off though.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Gun Master in Plano just south of the Sam's on Spring Creek has sights and they will install them for a small amount. I believe they carry the Trijicon's in the store, so may even have ones for your gun.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

There is a new solution for those wishing to have night sights:

http://shop.tacticalshit.com/weap-sam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just ordered today. Will be interesting to see how this works...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

george wrote:With the tritium sights, you also risk breaking a tube with an errant hit, using the brass rod and hammer method.
Don't try to install tritium sights with hammer and punch - there's a very high likelihood you'll break the tritium vials and the manufacturer will absolutely not honor the warranty when they see punch marks on the sight.

Either make the investment in a good sight pusher tool (mine has paid for itself several times over, but I've used it on .....ahem....more than one gun), or take the gun and sights to somebody who has one.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Rear sights may mostly come off with a sight pusher, but many front sights don't. Some have roll pins. I've had no trouble replacing sights on a variety of handguns but I agree that where it can be used, a sight pusher is best. There is probably a youtube video on the subject for any gun you want to install sights on.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

VMI77 wrote:Rear sights may mostly come off with a sight pusher, but many front sights don't. Some have roll pins. I've had no trouble replacing sights on a variety of handguns but I agree that where it can be used, a sight pusher is best. There is probably a youtube video on the subject for any gun you want to install tsights on.
I've also found that sometimes I have to use 2 different pushers on the front and rear sights on some guns because their geometry just doesn't play nicely with the tools.

Another thing to be aware of is that some sight channels are tapered slightly from one side to the other. It's important to know that because there's one side the sights will go out of and into nice and easy, and one side where things will be really hard or impossible. A little online research will tell you whether that's true for your gun or not.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Sig offers a "SIG Service Package" that might be worth looking at and includes replacement of the night sights, springs and other things for $144.95.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Customshop/SpecialCTU.aspx
Salty1

Return to “"How To" Tips”