POE video camera home system tips

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 4

POE video camera home system tips

Post by mrvmax »

The last two weeks I decided to upgrade my cheap DVD/camera package system into a POE (power over the rent) multi camera system with a dedicated PC. Eventually I will do a write up here giving some lessons learned since I know there are people that would like some cameras but are not sure where to start. Since I'm posting from my phone I'm not going to elaborate right now but hopefully by the weekend I can post some info on what I did to save people some time if you plan on self installing a system.

GeekwithaGun

Re: POE video camera home system tips

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I'll be watching - been looking at POE cameras and systems too.
NRA Life Member

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jrs_diesel »

That would be awesome. I would like to install cameras around my home as well. Look forward to your write-up.
J.R.

jamminbutter

Post by jamminbutter »

We installed a POE system about a year ago and it has worked wonderfully. Having only one cable per camera is great.

South Texas RGV

Post by South Texas RGV »

Same here -- I've been running a household system with external POE cameras and a dedicated server for about year. Having the single cable run to each camera makes the installation efficient and clean. Everything has worked flawlessly 24/7 since the install. I picked up a relatively inexpensive POE switch and it's been rock-solid.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RHenriksen »

I've been maintaining (and heavily revamping) a commercial analog + POE system for a client for the last 18 months or so. 6 DVRs and ~130 cameras so far, with a mix of coax, Ethernet, point to point WiFi bridges, and fiber.

Also have 7 POE cameras so far @ my house running against a PC hosting Milestone XProtect. This is all commercial grade stuff, not the $299 Costco special, so can't speak to which is the better $39 camera; but if anyone needs help understanding networking, commercial grade WiFi as a possible solution to areas difficult to run Ethernet cable to, etc, I'll help as best I can.

The Geovision cameras I'm using run $350-500 each. Until you've experienced what a difference super low light sensors and WDR (wide dynamic range) can make in image quality, it's hard to know what you're missing out on!
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cbunt1 »

I'll be watching this thread also. I'm about to do an install for a friend, and while my networking and tech background is up to the task, my knowledge of which camera systems are worth bothering with, and the compatibility between the hardware and software is lacking.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by uthornsfan »

I setup a simple system at my house using Wifi 720P cameras that only require 12V power.

POE is a good choice as are wireless cameras if you have good wireless access points, and power near them.

I used Netcam Studio for my 2 camera setup and it has a pretty nice phone app.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I thought only drug dealers had video cameras on residential properties. What if the DEA shows up with a no-knock warrant and throws a flashbang on your toddler? :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

One of the things I've learned about WiFi and IP cameras is that there's a big difference between consumer grade wifi routers and commercial APs and point-to-point bridges.

I have both Engenius ENH500 and Ubiquiti Nanobeams that stream 8 to 45 megabits/second 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, without a hiccup or reboot required. IMX, attempting that over a consumer wifi router tends to bog down the router requiring regular reboots to clear its head.

Surprisingly, the ENH500 and Nanobeams aren't that expensive - $85-95 each (you'd use them in pairs).

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

My elderly mother in law may be moving in with us soon, and if that happens we will definitely be looking to upgrade our camera system. The current one (through Xfinity) covers the main living areas and the driveway, but not the porch, kitchen, and dining rooms.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

A small bit of thread drift - I was running a consumer grade Linksys wireless router for WiFi, range was terrible and signal strength horrible, connection reliability worse than horrible, rebooting all the time. we had our new house wired for multiple Ethernet ports and a WAP in the center of the house on the ceiling. I installed a Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC LR access point that is PoE (comes with a one port injector) and now able to use the full 30 MBPS our internet provider has and so far no down time for 2 weeks. Cost was maybe a little more than a consumer grade, but worth it to me and she who must be obeyed. found on amazon for a really good price (at least I thought it was <$200).

Old Linksys is now a non-wireless switch providing the DHCP server - it is too big for my cabinet so maybe a new configurable switch will be in my future.

back to the normal conversation -
NRA Life Member

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

Certainly interested in the content of this thread but I'll definitively be looking for the low cost/best value route. Thanks.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

RHenriksen wrote:I've been maintaining (and heavily revamping) a commercial analog + POE system for a client for the last 18 months or so. 6 DVRs and ~130 cameras so far, with a mix of coax, Ethernet, point to point WiFi bridges, and fiber.

Also have 7 POE cameras so far @ my house running against a PC hosting Milestone XProtect. This is all commercial grade stuff, not the $299 Costco special, so can't speak to which is the better $39 camera; but if anyone needs help understanding networking, commercial grade WiFi as a possible solution to areas difficult to run Ethernet cable to, etc, I'll help as best I can.

The Geovision cameras I'm using run $350-500 each. Until you've experienced what a difference super low light sensors and WDR (wide dynamic range) can make in image quality, it's hard to know what you're missing out on!
Nothing better than a good old Milestone system. I use it as my system at work. My Axis cameras run just a bit more however...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

GeekwithaGun wrote:A small bit of thread drift - I was running a consumer grade Linksys wireless router for WiFi, range was terrible and signal strength horrible, connection reliability worse than horrible, rebooting all the time. we had our new house wired for multiple Ethernet ports and a WAP in the center of the house on the ceiling. I installed a Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC LR access point that is PoE (comes with a one port injector) and now able to use the full 30 MBPS our internet provider has and so far no down time for 2 weeks. Cost was maybe a little more than a consumer grade, but worth it to me and she who must be obeyed. found on amazon for a really good price (at least I thought it was <$200).

Old Linksys is now a non-wireless switch providing the DHCP server - it is too big for my cabinet so maybe a new configurable switch will be in my future.

back to the normal conversation -
Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC LR - Berry Nice!! Ubiquiti has released (or announced, anyway - maybe not shipping quite yet?) a new generation of the AC version at a significantly reduced price.

Return to “"How To" Tips”