Laser Trainer

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 3

Laser Trainer

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Just wanted to pass on a quick tip to everyone about laser training rounds. For those here who have not tried them, I highly recommend them (no, I don't sell them! :lol: )

I purchased one that goes into the chamber like a bullet; other types are available. They work very well when doing dry-fire practice indoors. For the one I have, there is no special equipment required; no laser target, no special adapters or anything. I just "shoot" at various "targets" in the house (yes, being mindful of all safety rules). Produces a nice bright red dot on a neutral or light colored object (a little fainter but still ok on dark surfaces).

I like using it because not only is it very helpful for practice in aiming, it is also useful for trigger control training. First, I make sure the laser dot appears where I (think) I'm aiming. Then also, if I see a "streak" instead of a "dot", I know I'm moving the gun as I pull the trigger.

I've had mine for about a year. No issues. Still on the original batteries. Check it out. This one might be a little pricey, but I've found it to be very useful for me. And other types (and manufacturers and suppliers) are available that may be cheaper.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/LaserLyt ... D734095080

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Laser Trainer

Post by TreyHouston »

I agree! I sent it in a text to my wife. if she doesn't get that hint that I wanted for Christmas I don't know what will! (I dont text her much)
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I found it on Amazon for $78.96 rather than the $99.99 from Cabela's.

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Don't you have to take your focus off the front sight in order to see the laser hits when using these devices?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

BCGlocker wrote:Don't you have to take your focus off the front sight in order to see the laser hits when using these devices?
No, but you do have to keep both eyes open or the gun will probably block you from seeing the "hit".

That's one more way the laser helps you train.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

superstar

Post by superstar »

What do guys think of this? http://mantisx.com/

It's the digital version of looking at the shooting wheel chart.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

There is a free iPhone app that I use with my laser training device. You set up your iPhone or iPad to "look" at the target you are shooting at. It uses the camera in the iPhone or iPad. It "sees" the location of the laser strike on the target and marks it. It then "scores" the hits. It is a great help in letting you know where your strike hit.

The app is called iTarget Pro. It is also available for Android I believe. There is a "system" you can purchase that comes with what they call a "sled" that holds the iPhone and target for you as well as a laser cartridge. I already had a tripod that holds the phone, so I just set the target on an old stand that my wife used to hold paperwork when she was typing. It holds the target, I point the camera at the target using the iPhone tripod, with the app running and then I can stand anywhere in the room, or even down the hall to do some indoor practice.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Topic author
thatguyoverthere

superstar wrote:What do guys think of this? http://mantisx.com/

It's the digital version of looking at the shooting wheel chart.
I've looked at that product before and liked what I saw. I might be a little concerned about the long-term reliability if using it while doing a lot of live fire (lots of shock and vibration on an electronic device). But, I can't say for sure because I have not purchased one - none of my handguns have rails!

Topic author
thatguyoverthere

kg5ie wrote:There is a free iPhone app that I use with my laser training device. You set up your iPhone or iPad to "look" at the target you are shooting at. It uses the camera in the iPhone or iPad. It "sees" the location of the laser strike on the target and marks it. It then "scores" the hits. It is a great help in letting you know where your strike hit.

The app is called iTarget Pro. It is also available for Android I believe. There is a "system" you can purchase that comes with what they call a "sled" that holds the iPhone and target for you as well as a laser cartridge. I already had a tripod that holds the phone, so I just set the target on an old stand that my wife used to hold paperwork when she was typing. It holds the target, I point the camera at the target using the iPhone tripod, with the app running and then I can stand anywhere in the room, or even down the hall to do some indoor practice.
I've looked at that one, too. But maybe I didn't look at it closely enough. I thought you had to purchase their whole rig. Didn't know you could "part it out" like you did. I'll have to go back and look at it again! :tiphat:

Return to “"How To" Tips”