Replacing sights on Springfield XD9

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
1wise1

Re: Replacing sights on Springfield XD9

Postby 1wise1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks folks, I appreciate your suggestions. I did take the XD9 to one Gunsmith who would not accept the gun because he could not promise not to scratch or gouge it when removing the old sights. I think shipping the slide to Springer may be the smartest move. According to other owners, the Springfield factory is taking up to 6 months to "fix" problems and get the guns back to owners. That's not terribly encouraging news.
Certified Glock Armorer
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Scott B.

Postby Scott B. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:30 pm

That's crazy. If you're near Houston, shoot me a PM and I'll fix you up.
LTC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, RSO, Life Member. FFL 07/02 SOT.
My Texas Rep has been contacted about co-sponsoring HB560 - response pending.

Pawpaw

Postby Pawpaw » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:50 am

SRO1911 wrote:Since I had absolutely no intention of re using the sights i simply used a cut-off wheel in a dremel to take a slice across them, then a few light taps with a punch.

That's exactly what I had to do to remove the front sight on my Ruger 10/22 Takedown. I cut almost all the way down through the sight. I didn't want to cut deep enough that I might accidentally cut into the dovetail, so I stopped about 1/16th of an inch short. After the cut, it tapped out pretty easily.

After checking the fit of the new sight, I buttered up both the sight and the dovetail with blue Locktite and tapped it in.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin 1759

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “"How To" Tips”