Alarm Drop Response

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Archery1
Posts in topic: 2

Alarm Drop Response

Post by Archery1 »

I had an alarm drop about 3 00 am the other morning which turned out just weather related, but in the end it opened my eyes to my unpreparredness. The ONLY thing I had or did right was having the nightstand gun ready. After it was all over and secure, I realized all my errors. First, no reading glasses to see the bedroom keypad to even know what part of house affected. Then, walking into lit area of livingroom, again, not knowing if should be looking east, west, south or even where I came from. I see that I have night lighting to help me, but it's also only where I am. Dark halls, closed rooms, etc... make up the rest of the house. Felt like a sitting duck.

Was wondering what reading sources anyone recommends or just plain personal tips you have or things you do to be more prepared AND to respond more defensively. I've fixed the reading glasses issue. Sits by gun. But, things like hall lighting, motion lighting, or even general best proceedure...

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Alarm Drop Response

Post by RoyGBiv »

Thanks for the very good reminder. Will be watching here for recommendations.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

We don't experience many false alarms, but when it has gone off at night...I reached up and turned the sirens off instead of using them to my advantage. I did this out of muscle memory and finally talked myself into letting the noise happen for two reasons:

1. If you turn it off too quickly it will not send out the signal or the alarm company may disregard it.
2. Use that siren for the OODA loop advantage.

Just my thoughts.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I don't have any suggested reading, but I do have a tactical lighting plan in my house. Of course, every house is designed differently, but mine works out well for me. All three of the bedrooms, are on one hall. I keep them darkened, completely, The hallway, opens out into the living room, which also has the back door, and another short hallway to the front door. and then straight ahead is the kitchen. I leave one light on in the kitchen, which lights the areas, where I would enter from the hall, but, leaves me in a darkened area, to observe before entering, I have closed in my garage, to make a den, and I leave a light on in there, so that I can then move that direction, while still being able to see. My unused bedroom, door is kept closed. If I am awakened, at night, I grab my shotgun, from beside the bed, close my door before entering the hall, where my wife will wait with her gun, while calling 9-1-1. I then close my son's bedroom door, where he will wait with his own shotgun. We have a code word that I will use before re-entering, either bedroom. There is a bathroom in the same hall, that has no external entry points, so i then close it, as I proceed down the hall, keeping my eyes, and muzzle, trained on the living room area. If there is anything I don't like, (noises, movement, etc.) I then take a defensive position, in the hall. My shotgun has a very bright tactical light on it, so, if someone, appears, I can instantly light them up, and then take whatever action I feel necessary.

I practice this regularly, and my wife and son, know that they are to do what ever is necessary, if their door opens, and I haven't given the code word, that way, if I am somehow, taken hostage, or taken out of the fight, they are to act accordingly. My only alarm system, is of the four legged variety. I uses glasses for reading, but I can still see my front sight clearly, and at distance. Having, potential, threats, backlit, gives, me a more tactical, advantage. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

This stuff isn't very popular today but I've had an X-10 system in my house for more than 25 years. Most of the outside lights are on it. Several of the interior lights are, too. I have a timer which turns them on and off at various times i the day. I picked the controlled lights carefully, so that there would be lights in strategic areas of the house. I can walk away from the house at any minute and it will continue to look lived in because we've incorporated the timed lights into our lifestyle. Why is this important in this thread?

I have an X-10 module connected to alarm system that flashes all of the controlled lights on 1 second intervals when the alarm sounds. We've had enough false alarms over the years (have always had alarm systems, too) that I'm used to the light sequence but it can be very disorienting if you haven't seen it before. All of the critical areas outside are being "flash-lit". But there are none of the controlled lights in the master bedroom. Since we don't have kids, I can leave the pistol safe door open at night, making the rear night sights very easy to see, even with the other lights in the house flashing. My tactical flashlight is right beside the bedroom door. I decided that I didn't want to have to point my pistol at something just to light it up.

I hate to say this but I think false alarms are the best teacher. Like the OP, I've learned more about what I liked and didn't like because of them. I hate the tied together fire alarms because when they go off in the middle of the night, there is almost no way to figure out what is happening. We have a small house where the "mandated" ceiling mounts are literally within arms reach of one another. There is no practical way to figure out which of them has caused the alarm. They are a classic example of why there is no one-size-fits-all for alarm situations. You can anticipate all you want but until the thing goes off at 2am, you don't really understand what you are dealing with and how to make it better.

Just my $.02 worth.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I don't have any reading suggestions but can tell you to develop a plan that is key for your home. Look at all of the "what if's" you can think of. Then look for more. My wife and I have a plan for each point of entry in our home. Then we started hearing about BG's driving cars into homes so we developed a plan for that as well.
I will say that we have a safe room that is large enough for both of us and contains all but our bedside weapons and that is where my wife will go. From there she can monitor the cameras in the house and see what is going on. It also allows her to see if I am in trouble and to relay to LEO's my location as well as any BG. We had this installed a few years ago when we remodeled because there had started being quite a bit of crime in our area and also because of tornado's (I thought it was a bit overboard but it makes her feel safer). I will search the house while she goes in the safe room unless I am drastically out numbered or can't get a tactical advantage, in which case I will also go in and watch.
Short of a safe room, I like Jusme's plan a lot
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Thanks for the responses! Since this post, have built another house I hope to be in by this weekend. Been working with the low-voltage, alarm/monitoring, folks, who will also tailor and advise my final system outside of normal window and door sensors. Good suggestions and a good reminder to try to remember some of what was already in place in previous house, though the layout of this house is completely different, which calls for more consideration.

I have found that it's crucial to have a keypad where you sleep, and most now are portable/nightstand keypads. Camera monitoring seems crucial, that is, to have good placement AND have a way to monitor where you are before even considering investigating blind.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

You need a light. A good one, and it is not optional!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ5bemDJ_ug

A decent primer: https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles ... lashlight/

And the flashlight I use: http://a.co/d/30uzIUm

Otherwise, everything upthread + the glasses (which you have already fixed).

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

It's a bit dated, but very affordable and still a classic: The Tactical Advantage
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Nothing beats going to a training course: NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “"How To" Tips”