Where to begin with a HAM radio?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

BeeKeith

Re: Where to begin with a HAM radio?

Postby BeeKeith » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks Flightmare. Extra was close! Even though I've read some books and took some tests, now's the time to learn. Lol.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 pm

BeeKeith wrote:After over 33 years with a company when they decided to close up and move 1/2 way across the U.S., whadda' ya' do? For me? Start the business I've been wanting to..... And for a little mental therapy, Get a ham license. Ordered Tech and General from ARRL and began studying a little at a time. Once I was sure I could pass Tech, I peaked in the General book and was a little intimidated. But with nothing to lose, I took it on like you eat an elephant, one bite at a time. When I was sure of passing General, the Extra book was ordered. Long story short, ( studying a few minutes a day for 9 months ) I went to Latourneau University in Longview and "grand slammed" it. Passed all 3 in one sitting. LETARC VE team are a great bunch of folks. That was on the 16th, the wait for the FCC posting continues. Now I need a "Go Fund Me" page started. Lol. Business is started, just not profitable yet.

Congratulations! Passing all three in the same test session happens, but it's rare.

Chas.

BeeKeith

Postby BeeKeith » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Thank you, sir. The journey being part of the experience and all. Now I'm thinking about cw.

Keith

RoyGBiv

Postby RoyGBiv » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 am

Here's an example of next-level use for your HAM skills..
From ARRL.... Looking for volunteers to support Red Cross efforts in Puerto Rico.
Must be General class or above...

Dear ARRL Member:

There are few times when I have needed to reach out directly to you for your help. This is one of those times.

The American Red Cross (ARC) has asked ARRL for assistance with relief efforts in Puerto Rico. In the nearly 75-year relationship between ARRL and ARC, this is the first time ARC has made a request for assistance on this scale. Hurricane Maria has devastated the island’s communications infrastructure. Without electricity and telephone, and with most of the cell sites out of service, millions of people are cut off from communicating. Shelters are unable to reach local emergency services and people cannot check on the welfare of their loved ones. The situation is dire.

How can you help?

1) Volunteer. ARC needs up to 50 radio amateurs who can help record, enter, and submit disaster-survivor information into the ARC Safe and Well system. There are very specific requirements and qualifications needed for this deployment; for instance, familiarity with Winlink, an Amateur Radio license of General class or higher, and previous experience in disaster response. Deployment will be for up to 3 weeks (at ARC expense). If you would like to be considered for deployment, please complete the following online ARRL form, which asks for your qualifications and skills: Volunteer Deployment Form

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Bennies

Postby Bennies » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Great to see all the new hams on the forum! I've been re licensed for 10 months and I have been having a blast! Right now working on my HF portable man pack. Once it's done I can go back to throwing some money into shooting again haha.

Ft817-nd
Mfj-971
Chameleon mpas
12 ah sla battery

Just need solar panels and a few more items.
GOA member
NRA member
TSRA member
Glock 23 w/Crossbreed Supertuck

Return to “Off-Topic”