Tool box for an 11 year old.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Tool box for an 11 year old.

Post by Richbirdhunter »

This is the year that my son will receive a tool box for Christmas. I have a pretty good idea on what to stock it with but I’m looking for your input.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

flechero

Re: Tool box for an 11 year old.

Post by flechero »

Good for you and for him! Depends on a lot of things (including size of the box!) but gear some of it towards things he can do with you specifically. (For us it's archery and woodworking - my son has some specific items geared towards those, in addition to the basic set.)

First item- safety glasses/goggles. Then small hammer, good set screwdrivers, combination and allen wrenches. Needle nose, snubnose pliers as well as side cutters and a pair of nippers (end cutters). A pair of channel locks and a crescent wrench. And since he's only 11 (and lacks hand strength) a pair of vise grips, in both needle nose and blunt tip. Kids love a good magnifying glass! Lumber pencil/sharpener/sharpie and a small scratchpad. He'll eventually need a razor blade but you may want to wait on that one for now. :lol:

The possibilities are endless...

IMO save the cordless drill/screwgun, saws, etc. for another time.

Most important thing for a boy with tools is a mentor!! :tiphat: Even if you have to make up a few projects like changing switchplates or "fixing" mom's cabinets by tightening some hinge screws, do it. And ask for his help! (My son loves to help but not as hot on me saying I want to teach him how to do "X".)

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

At 11, I had access to all my Dad's tools. I had no need for a seperste set of tools. However, I had to take care of those tools and leave them where and how I found them or lose the private of using them.

swilkes

Post by swilkes »

Box end wenches and socket sets tools for working on bikes and skate boards. I gave mine a set of tools when he starred getting into scootering. Now 14 has his own cordless drill and puts his own stuff together and takes apart.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Mig welder. Then you can borrow it.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

Make sure you get the crescent wrench in both the standard and metric version. "rlol"

Pritchical

Post by Pritchical »

mescobar_rpls wrote:Make sure you get the crescent wrench in both the standard and metric version. "rlol"
And a board stretcher...

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

At some point I would also recommend a sky hook. :biggrinjester:
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

When my kids were about that age I got them an "all in one" sort of thing from Craftsman. I figured it would at least be decent tools even if they wound up less than useful (little hammer). As they are now nearing end of high school I look at basic car and apartment needs and really, the adult version of an "all in one" might be a good way to go. If they need more tools they either buy them for themselves or come to me and we do a little bonding.

I may also try to give some tools to kids ... so I can get new ones for myself but my wife will likely see through that scheme.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

I'd suggest a small level, so he can help with hanging picture frames & such. If you have plans to build any structures or a fence in the near future a line level would be good as well. Maybe even a small combo square.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Whatever tools you put in the tool box will not be as appreciated as the time and PATIENCE to learn to properly us them given by the Dad the gave the gift. Sounds like a great gift.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Piney

Post by Piney »

Bandaids
I always hated to go ask Mom for a bandaid when I nicked a finger working on something. It usually resulted in the dreaded application of "Monkey blood", followed by a giant wad of bandaids

Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

A tape measure, and a 6" steel scale. Both are useful, and help cement fractions and working with fractions into their young minds. I'm always amazed at the number of people who can't accurately work with fractions in measuring situations.

loktite

Post by loktite »

some sandpaper and a wood block to staple it to to make a sanding block? maybe a small c-clamp and some small clip style clamps?
NRA Endowment Member

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

I've received tools of one sort or another since I was about 9. I'm sure you're smart enough to know what should go in a toolbox, but here's some insight from the experience of a dumb 11 year old boy on what probably shouldn't go in a toolbox:

+ Don't get power tools yet. He won't appreciate or understand them. I got a drill/floodlight set for my tenth birthday and by the time I was 13 the big rechargeable battery was dead. Assuming that batteries for said set were only sold in conjunction with the tools, I threw the baby out with the bathwater and tinkered with/destroyed the flashlight.

+ Don't buy specialty tools yet. No planers, voltage meters, gauges, torque wrenches, etc until he develops a focus in one area of repair. If he gets good at plumbing, go for the pipe wrench. If he takes to carpentry, get him a set of chisels. If you get him specialty stuff before he expresses interest in a certain area, the tools may end up misused and broken or left in the box to rust.

+ Don't buy garbage. He's not going to know the difference between a bargain bin screwdriver set at Wal-Mart and a quality set of Facom, Craftsman, or Klein drivers, but he'll sure know the difference if the garbage ones bend or break while trying to loosen a stubborn screw. Allen wrenches are another example - garbage ones can be bought in 20-40 piece sets for $15, but will strip or bend by the second or third use. A really good set can last a lifetime. Don't spend $10 on crap that won't last, when you could spend $20 on a worthy investment.

+ Don't get useless compact versions of useful tools just so they fit in a toolbox. A crowbar is a great, multi-purpose tool, but 6" mini crowbar has no function aside from taking up space; a utility knife, screwdriver, hammer, or larger crowbar could do the same job without taking up the extra space.

Remember that while he's still living at home, he has access to your tools, so building a toolbox for him is less about now and more about after he moves out. Equip him well, but leave room for him to build on it later.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Return to “Off-Topic”