Convert GPS location coordinates into route on map?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 10

Convert GPS location coordinates into route on map?

Post by C-dub »

I recently downloaded an app for my phone that will capture gps data that includes speed and time and other stuff. It can save the trip data into a .csv file and opened in Excel, which can then be saved as an .xml file. Maybe all that is crucial, but I'm not sure yet.

What I've been trying to figure out is if I can somehow convert all this data into something useful and display the route on a map that might also show what my speed was at any particular point along the route.

Would any of you fine folks have any experience with something like this?

If it helps, the app is called Speedometer 55 Pro.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Convert GPS location coordinates into route on map?

Post by Keith B »

See if it will save as a .kml format. That will open directly in Google Earth.

If not, there are ways to convert the .csv into mapping files. I can provide a site that will do it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Excel does not have a .kml format.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Will your app save in anything other than .csv? Like .kml?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I don't think so. If it can, I can't find how to get it to do that yet. I read somewhere about converting it to an .xml data file and then opening or converting with Google Earth to a .kml file. However, I also can't figure out how to do that with GE either.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

If that app won't do it, try Speed Traker lite https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speed-t ... 36034?mt=8

It will export to common GPS map files like gpx and kml
Keith

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I'm looking into online sites that will do that now.

EDIT: okay

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Or if you are wanting to use the data you have already captured, try this site to convert the .csv file to .kml http://www.convertcsv.com/csv-to-kml.htm
Keith

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Keith B wrote:If that app won't do it, try Speed Traker lite https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speed-t ... 36034?mt=8

It will export to common GPS map files like gpx and kml
I almost got that one, but the one I did get had far better ratings. However, this was before I even knew about the file formats being used and what to do with them.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Definitely making progress here Keith. I have a route in Google Earth. Checking it out to see if it displays speed data along the points.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I have been saving and logging GPS data onto tracks for over 20 years for flights. Lots of fun. Here is a .kmz of one of my flights you can load up in Google Earth https://www.dropbox.com/s/90gumzfkj4g4a ... t.kmz?dl=0
Keith

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It works. Each waypoint is at 4 second intervals. Selecting a waypoint displays the speed at that point on the map.

:woohoo

:thumbs2: :tiphat:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

C-dub wrote:It works. Each waypoint is at 4 second intervals. Selecting a waypoint displays the speed at that point on the map.

:woohoo

:thumbs2: :tiphat:
Good deal. Now you can play a bunch!! Just don't let a cop see your speed track!! LOL
Keith

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Why do you think I got this? I got a ticket a few weeks ago for doing 55 in a 40, while my cruise control was set on 40. I might have been going 41-42 since it was downhill. My daughter was with me and I saw the 3 motorcycle cops way before and even mentioned them to her. Then everyone started slowing down. I didn't because I wasn't speeding and sure enough he lit me up.

He said it seemed like I was trying to catch up to everyone else. It was more like everyone was slowing down and that made it look like I was speeding up. Bitter Clinger gave me some info on a lawyer to take care of it, but when I showed it to him he noted that it was Carrollton and he said I was attached to another object by an incline plane wrapped helically around an axis. But not in so many words.

So, without a way to prove I wasn't speeding I took the deferred disposition and got this app.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

I wish I had had this last year. I got a ticket for going 95 in a 75 and no way to prove my cruise control was on 75. For the record, I do not speed. The trooper must've just picked out the wrong guy.

I will have to try this to protect myself in the future.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Off-Topic”