Shirt Dilemma

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
Grundy1133

Shirt Dilemma

Postby Grundy1133 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:59 am

So, I carry a full size IWB at 9 o clock (left handed) and my spare mag at 3 o clock. Anytime I sit in a chair and my gun hits th eback of the chair or the mags do it ends up rubbing holes in my shirts... ive ruined 2 good shirts doing this... anyone have any experience with their gun/mags tearing up their shirts and what I can do to keep it from happening? I think it might be my metal base plates that I have on my magazines... i think im gonna switch them out with the factory polymer base plates and see if that helps any...
NRA Member

JakeTheSnake

Re: Shirt Dilemma

Postby JakeTheSnake » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:47 am

Are you driving concealed or open?
I always drive open with my shirt tucked behind my gun and mags.
99.99% of the time I am untucked and use a Alien Gear Cloak Mod 3.0, when I get in the car/truck I open up and tuck my shirt behind. Never had a damaged shirt.
The A G is very comfortable and no one has ever noticed I am carrying, at least not mentioned it.

SIGFan43

Postby SIGFan43 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:20 am

I never have that problem, probably because my holster has a 15° forward cant, which tilts the butt of the gun away from the back of the seat.
SIGFan43

cmgee67

Postby cmgee67 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:20 am

If you carry with 0 cant iwb you will get that issue of hitting things especially with a longer grip. As for wearing holes in shirts from carrying i can’t really comment on that. I’ve been carrying now for almost 3 years every single day and I have never had that happen. Of course 90% or the time it as been Glocks with polymer base pads but when I switched to a Glock 43 5 months ago I put the metal taran tactical base pads on. They are rounded and smooth so no sharp edges. If you have sharp edges I can see them causing holes. I know if people who wear holes in suit jackets but they wear they same jacket everyday
I Am Freedoms Safest Place :txflag:

flechero

Postby flechero » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:53 am

SIGFan43 wrote:I never have that problem, probably because my holster has a 15° forward cant, which tilts the butt of the gun away from the back of the seat.

Added cant for me as well. Also a slight rearward shift to 8 or so that the butt of the gun is behind the point of the hip and that will turn the grip it so it lays flatter on your side/back. Much more comfy for me... and that position improves with cant. :fire

strogg

Postby strogg » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:53 am

I think adding a forward cant (if you don't do that already) and using polymer base plates should fix the problem.

flechero

Postby flechero » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:06 am

Another thing I had forgotten about... I used to take my wife's emery boards and break the sharp corners and edges of base plates and even the gun's grip edges. Did it to 1/2 dozen pistols and carry mags. Great for comfort and clothing!

cmgee67

Postby cmgee67 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:34 am

flechero wrote:Another thing I had forgotten about... I used to take my wife's emery boards and break the sharp corners and edges of base plates and even the gun's grip edges. Did it to 1/2 dozen pistols and carry mags. Great for comfort and clothing!

I though for just a split second while reading your comment you were going to say that you used Emory boards as base plates for your mags :shock:

That would be something lol
I Am Freedoms Safest Place :txflag:

spectre

Postby spectre » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:40 pm

cmgee67 wrote:
flechero wrote:Another thing I had forgotten about... I used to take my wife's emery boards and break the sharp corners and edges of base plates and even the gun's grip edges. Did it to 1/2 dozen pistols and carry mags. Great for comfort and clothing!

I though for just a split second while reading your comment you were going to say that you used Emory boards as base plates for your mags :shock:

That would be something lol

It matches the skateboard tape on the grips though.
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society,
over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it
and a moral code that glorifies it. - Frédéric Bastiat

Topic author
Grundy1133

Postby Grundy1133 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:21 pm

i have a forward cant and i've replaced the base plates on my mag to the factory one... hoping this helps. And ill start OCing when i drive. thanks for all the handy tips!
NRA Member

Return to “Off-Topic”