Ruth Bader Ginsberg - dies 9.18.2020

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsberg - dies 9.18.2020

Post by Paladin »

BLM Riots Are Officially the Most Costly Manmade Damage to American Property in History

America experienced 637 riots between May 26 and September 12.

We are at war. Crooked DA's are enabling this chaos and destruction and repudiating the universal right to self defense. I say do whatever it takes to get more judges that will follow the rule of law.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 9

Post by C-dub »

The differences now being that Trump can serve another term if elected. In 2016 the dems did not control the Senate. If they had, there is no doubt in my mind at all that they would have confirmed Garland prior to the election or at least prior to Trump being sworn in since HRC lost. No doubt!

So, of course, the dems want to wait. They are not in control of the Senate and don't look to regain that control. It also looks as if their chances of putting Joe "sniffy" Biden or Harris in the Oval Office are fading. It's like the caged or trapped wild animal that knows he's gonna die and will still go down fighting.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Flightmare wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:30 pm
srothstein wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:24 pm I have a problem with the hypocrisy that would be shown if they do make a nomination now. The Republicans held up a nomination for quite a long time because an election was close and they wanted to let the new president have a say (well, that was their stated reason). If they do a nomination this close, they would be showing that they were lying about it (which we all knew anyway).

The biggest tactical question is if the nomination is made now (or in October) how many votes would it cost Trump (and by extension all Republicans) in the election. I might be okay with losing the presidency for a SCOTUS appointment (though any appointment is really a guess how they will vote once on the court), but what if it gives the Democrats the presidency, control of the Senate, and control of the House?

I think the best bet is to wait until after the election. If they lose everything anyway, they can still get it done in November or December. If the win, they can take their time and make certain the right person is chosen.
That is the discussion i was having on the phone earlier with a family member, and the exact argument I made.
Elections have consequences.

I'm simultaneously able to offer sincere condolences for a jurist who was the antithesis of what the Founders had intended, and not a frigid RINO, able to sieze the opptunity if it indeed is presenting itself.

Does anyone think that the dems would hesitate for a microsecond? /Rhetorical
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Flightmare »

C-dub wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:51 pm BTW, are you gonna be at breakfast at Rudy's tomorrow?
One of the local ham radio clubs is doing some repeater work and has asked for some assistance on ground crew. So far, not many people have offered to step in and help, so I think I may. This repeater is used for our county skywarn nets so it's kinda important for the community. Hope everyone has fun in Arlington tomorrow!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RoyGBiv wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:45 pm
srothstein wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:24 pm I have a problem with the hypocrisy that would be shown if they do make a nomination now. The Republicans held up a nomination for quite a long time because an election was close and they wanted to let the new president have a say (well, that was their stated reason). If they do a nomination this close, they would be showing that they were lying about it (which we all knew anyway).

The biggest tactical question is if the nomination is made now (or in October) how many votes would it cost Trump (and by extension all Republicans) in the election. I might be okay with losing the presidency for a SCOTUS appointment (though any appointment is really a guess how they will vote once on the court), but what if it gives the Democrats the presidency, control of the Senate, and control of the House?

I think the best bet is to wait until after the election. If they lose everything anyway, they can still get it done in November or December. If the win, they can take their time and make certain the right person is chosen.
That is the discussion i was having on the phone earlier with a family member, and the exact argument I made.

I'm simultaneously able to offer sincere condolences for a jurist who was the antithesis of what the Founders had intended, and not a frigid RINO, able to sieze the opptunity if it indeed is presenting itself.

We are way past thinking the high road is a winning route. So far taking the high road has gotten us transexuals dressed in drag reading to our children in the third grade. Boys who say they are girls in the female locker rooms. Boys who say they are girls playing on the female sports teams. Abortion on demand paid for by tax payers. God being taken out of schools while Islamic fascism is being installed. Statues of heroes from the past being removed. The national anthem being scoffed at in sporting events. Police officers being shot down in the street while pro football players put the names of criminals on their helmets. Cities being burned and looted by domestic terrorists. I could go on and on but when do we finally quit kidding ourselves with this "taking the high road" garbage?

Push through another nominee! ASAP... before the leftist scum manages to get another communist on the supreme court who thinks the Constitution is a piece of toilet paper to wipe your rear end on.

This situation is definitely a gift from God. He is trying to tell us all something. He could have taken that woman anytime. He wants us to take the opportunity to make it just a little bit harder for the godless leftist scum to completely destroy the American dream.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dave2 »

RIP RBG, and condolences to her family and friends.

WRT whether Trump should try to get someone through before Nov 3rd. Does anyone really think that the losing side this November won't raise legal challenges this election? I'm not sure what a 4/4 decision on those cases would mean for the country. I mean, legally speaking, I think it means the house of representatives decides (with each state getting one vote, decided by their reps). But if you think people are worked up now...
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:45 pm

We are way past thinking the high road is a winning route. So far taking the high road has gotten us transexuals dressed in drag reading to our children in the third grade. Boys who say they are girls in the female locker rooms. Boys who say they are girls playing on the female sports teams. Abortion on demand paid for by tax payers. God being taken out of schools while Islamic fascism is being installed. Statues of heroes from the past being removed. The national anthem being scoffed at in sporting events. Police officers being shot down in the street while pro football players put the names of criminals on their helmets. Cities being burned and looted by domestic terrorists. I could go on and on but when do we finally quit kidding ourselves with this "taking the high road" garbage?

Push through another nominee! ASAP... before the leftist scum manages to get another communist on the supreme court who thinks the Constitution is a piece of toilet paper to wipe your rear end on.

This situation is definitely a gift from God. He is trying to tell us all something. He could have taken that woman anytime. He wants us to take the opportunity to make it just a little bit harder for the godless leftist scum to completely destroy the American dream.
:iagree: The marxists will laugh in your face when you take the high road. Reverse the current roles, Dim Pres, Dim Senate and Rino House...you think the Dims wouldn’t be pushing a nominee through before the election?

We’ve taken the high road with the marxists to the brink of their destruction of the country.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Ted Cruz Offers a Solid Reason for Filling Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Vacancy Now
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa ... n-n2576501

History Is on the Side of Republicans Filling a Supreme Court Vacancy in 2020
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/08/ ... =true&s=09

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Post by parabelum »

No more high road until we can restore / undo some if not all of the perversion and indecency that these communists have done.
I’m currently in VT/NY area and let me tell you, lots of folks up here would love to burn your institutions down and make you kiss their boots. I got accosted yesterday on a street in Middlebury for not wearing a stinking mask in public to which I responded by answering in Bosnian 😂. No, push a conservative Justice on ASAP!

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

We have got to get pro-American, Pro-Constitution judges in the Supreme Court. No more of like Stevens: John Paul Stevens: Repeal the Second Amendment
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

strogg

Post by strogg »

After reading all of your responses, I totally understand the sentiment. I would love to play offense and smack down the liberals once and for all. It may seem very tempting, but it's the wrong choice to make in my opinion. Getting someone appointed to the vacant seat between now and the election is a virtual impossibility. By trying, we'll only be fueling the other side, which will be out in force at the polls and making this election cycle much harder than it was 24 hours ago. By downplaying this and letting things happen in due time, the other side won't get as fired up for the election. It's that simple. It'll also make the right look better with more high road action. Trust me. People are noticing these things.

At the same time, I ask that someone please prove me wrong with the timeline thing. I would love nothing but to have an additional appointment for a good justice in the supreme court.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Flightmare »

strogg wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:42 am After reading all of your responses, I totally understand the sentiment. I would love to play offense and smack down the liberals once and for all. It may seem very tempting, but it's the wrong choice to make in my opinion. Getting someone appointed to the vacant seat between now and the election is a virtual impossibility. By trying, we'll only be fueling the other side, which will be out in force at the polls and making this election cycle much harder than it was 24 hours ago. By downplaying this and letting things happen in due time, the other side won't get as fired up for the election. It's that simple. It'll also make the right look better with more high road action. Trust me. People are noticing these things.

At the same time, I ask that someone please prove me wrong with the timeline thing. I would love nothing but to have an additional appointment for a good justice in the supreme court.
Devils advocate;

As long as a SCOTUS nomination is a guaranteed prize for a POTUS win, it will inspire the opposition to work harder. If SCOTUS is already replaced, they may lose some of the wind in their sails.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Flightmare wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:52 am
strogg wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:42 am After reading all of your responses, I totally understand the sentiment. I would love to play offense and smack down the liberals once and for all. It may seem very tempting, but it's the wrong choice to make in my opinion. Getting someone appointed to the vacant seat between now and the election is a virtual impossibility. By trying, we'll only be fueling the other side, which will be out in force at the polls and making this election cycle much harder than it was 24 hours ago. By downplaying this and letting things happen in due time, the other side won't get as fired up for the election. It's that simple. It'll also make the right look better with more high road action. Trust me. People are noticing these things.

Devils advocate;

As long as a SCOTUS nomination is a guaranteed prize for a POTUS win, it will inspire the opposition to work harder. If SCOTUS is already replaced, they may lose some of the wind in their sails.
This is the reality of it all. If we don't fill that seat ASAP, all we will hear for the next two months is about how the Right is going to take away rights with a supreme court pick.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I suppose there are reasons to wait, but no good reasons. That appointment will far outlast the next presidency. Trump was elected to change things, and this is a perfect opportunity. Full speed ahead.

USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”