Traffic stop in Houston

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Traffic stop in Houston

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Caliber wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:58 pm In Texas, if the front of your car has crossed the white road line at an intersection when the light is yellow, you are legal and should not get a ticket.
"Should Not" is the key words. Police may still write you a ticket but you can take it to court and hope the judge believes you when you tell him you were past the white line. A few years back my SIL got a ticket for turning left on red. The front end of his vehicle was already in the intersection when the light turned red and he went on. He just paid it instead of fighting it. I told him he should fight it but he made a good point when he told me the judge would believe the cop over him.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:55 am
Caliber wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:58 pm In Texas, if the front of your car has crossed the white road line at an intersection when the light is yellow, you are legal and should not get a ticket.
"Should Not" is the key words. Police may still write you a ticket but you can take it to court and hope the judge believes you when you tell him you were past the white line. A few years back my SIL got a ticket for turning left on red. The front end of his vehicle was already in the intersection when the light turned red and he went on. He just paid it instead of fighting it. I told him he should fight it but he made a good point when he told me the judge would believe the cop over him.
If you have an otherwise clean driving record, in Texas you can ask the court for "Deferred Disposition", which, if granted, keeps the citation and points off your license, assuming you meet the disposition requirements...

Random cite from City of Midland website...
https://www.co.midland.tx.us/490/Criminal-Traffic-Cases
Deferred Adjudication/Disposition is another way to dismiss a traffic ticket in Texas. Normally a person pays a court fee and is placed on a 60 to 90 day probation period. As long as they do not get any other traffic tickets within that probation time frame the past citation will be dismissed.

As of September 1, 2003 you are not eligible for Deferred Disposition if you possess a Class A or B driver’s license, even if you are in a personal vehicle.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by powerboatr »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:35 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:55 am
If you have an otherwise clean driving record, in Texas you can ask the court for "Deferred Disposition", which, if granted, keeps the citation and points off your license, assuming you meet the disposition requirements...

Random cite from City of Midland website...
https://www.co.midland.tx.us/490/Criminal-Traffic-Cases
Deferred Adjudication/Disposition is another way to dismiss a traffic ticket in Texas. Normally a person pays a court fee and is placed on a 60 to 90 day probation period. As long as they do not get any other traffic tickets within that probation time frame the past citation will be dismissed.

As of September 1, 2003 you are not eligible for Deferred Disposition if you possess a Class A or B driver’s license, even if you are in a personal vehicle.
when we first moved back to texas in 2006
i was pulled over several times in a few years all went to adjudication...man that was pricey
i was used to driving like we did in al one speed......fast and keep up with traffic no matter what the sign posted

i have a class B license now...oh crap :biggrinjester:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

powerboatr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:24 pm when we first moved back to texas in 2006
i was pulled over several times in a few years all went to adjudication...man that was pricey
i was used to driving like we did in al one speed......fast and keep up with traffic no matter what the sign posted

Just to be technically accurate, the law says anyone with a CDL, not referring to the class. I dropped my CDL, but kept my class A, partly because of this law.
Steve Rothstein

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

My last two stops with DPS Troopers were unpleasant because they didn't know the law. Had to win one in court. I won't elaborate due to forum rules.

On the other hand, I've had very pleasant conversations about LTCs and hand guns and gotten warnings.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

SNIP...
oohrah wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:31 am I won't elaborate due to forum rules.
it must have been really bad. :smilelol5:

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by powerboatr »

srothstein wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:31 pm
powerboatr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:24 pm when we first moved back to texas in 2006

Just to be technically accurate, the law says anyone with a CDL, not referring to the class. I dropped my CDL, but kept my class A, partly because of this law.
mine is a NON commercial class B for the me to be legal driving my motorhome that weighs 32k lbs. test was a joke, but it is the law :rules: :mrgreen:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Off-Topic”