Husband of TMS .50 victim launches gun control website

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ScubaSigGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Husband of TMS .50 victim launches gun control website

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

http://startelegram.typepad.com/crime_t ... -mans.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.50caldanger.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Wildscar
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Husband of TMS .50 victim launches gun control website

Post by Wildscar »

Since we have a 5 year old daughter rule all I am going to say Is "Great...Jusstttt Great..."
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longtooth »

Every thing like this is going to be a banquet table feast for Hussein Obama & his antis. We cannot afford accidents, neglegence, any OH NOs at all.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This guy had to be an anti-gunner before this event. It reeks of Brady Campaign propaganda, even down to the photo he labeled "Macho Man." I'm pretty certain I've seen that photo on Brady's website.

Chas.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I feel for the guy. I really do. I think his reaction is wrong and misguided, but I understand it. My main question to him would be, "where do you draw the line?" What if that had been a .308 caliber bullet coming from 2.5 miles out? What if it had been a .357 coming from 1.5 miles out? Would he want to ban those too?

Nobody with a lick of sense would argue that the woman was hit by anything less than a negligent shooter. Of course she was. The distance she was shot from, and the size of the round isn't really what's at issue here. The real issue is that someone fired a round into the air without being absolutely certain of where it was going to come down. Again, I understand Mel Moss Jr's anger, but I think that he is being intellectually dishonest by blaming the problem on the caliber; because I could just as easily make the same argument he is using now to take away his home defense pistol. After all, what if he misses his target with that 9mm? It's got to come down somewhere. What if "somewhere" is the arm of an innocent victim just walking down the street? What if "somewhere" is the broken femur of a guy sitting in a rag top jeep, like the guy I actually worked on in the ER who was hit that way by a .45 hardball?

I actually hope that he reads this thread and changes his mind.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

I just emailed him telling him welcome to Texas where everything is bigger and then told him he needed to move back to Kalifornia..they already have a .50 cal ban there and he can be safe.

I mean CMON people don't scream to ban sportsbikes or high performance cars when people get injured or killed by them!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

The Annoyed Man

WarHawk-AVG wrote:I just emailed him telling him welcome to Texas where everything is bigger and then told him he needed to move back to Kalifornia..they already have a .50 cal ban there and he can be safe.
Now that was helpful... :roll:
I mean CMON people don't scream to ban sportsbikes or high performance cars when people get injured or killed by them!
Actually, some do - particularly in California (where I used to live). As I said, I completely disagree with his premise, but that's his wife that got hit (and nearly killed). I'd be mad as hell too if that were my wife. I'd just express it differently.

That's why I think a little understanding is called for here.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
WarHawk-AVG wrote:I just emailed him telling him welcome to Texas where everything is bigger and then told him he needed to move back to Kalifornia..they already have a .50 cal ban there and he can be safe.
Now that was helpful... :roll:
Actually, some do - particularly in California (where I used to live). As I said, I completely disagree with his premise, but that's his wife that got hit (and nearly killed). I'd be mad as heck too if that were my wife. I'd just express it differently.

That's why I think a little understanding is called for here.
Um hello...stuff happens..you don't force your will and oppressions on others because of an accident.

I got hit on motorcycle by a woman on her cell phone..I don't demand they be banned..just banned while driving...see...different request

I could see maybe requesting high power ranges be either situated geographically positioned to where ricochets would be reduced, but who was there 1st..the range or the homes?

Another thing..just because someone used that tool improperly does NOT mean all will and restricting or banning the use of a firearm for all because one pinhead misused it is ignorant...otherwise, bats, rocks, sharp pointy sticks, paint ball guns, hatchets, kitchen knives, frying pans, tire irons, #2 pencils, motorcycles, cars,...(insert useful tool used improperly that can injure/maim/kill) would be banned.

Grow some common sense! Most importantly...quit being the SILENT majority..let these pinheads know..their rights STOP where my rights START!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

SCone

Post by SCone »

I emailed him with two questions...

How many people have been injured or killed with 50 cal BMG rounds in the US?

and

How many people have been injured or killed at NASCAR events in the US?

Figure, if we can save just ONE LIFE, protect just ONE PERSON from that evil NASCAR....

j_dock2

Post by j_dock2 »

Yay. Just exactly what we didn't need.

Not to mention that I don't make the kind of cubic dollars needed to go run and buy a Barrett - or even a Serbu.

I'll just get a HELOC to pay for it. Oh wait... heh.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I wouldn't suggest emailing this man; he simply doesn't care what is said. Plus, based upon his post about emails he has received, and the Brady-ish anti-gun rhetoric on his website, I wouldn't be surprised to see them copied on his website as evidence of the evil gun owners in Texas.

Chas.
Mel wrote:THERE IS NO REASON FOR YOU TO SEND ME STATISTICS AND UGLY EMAILS, I HAVE HEARD THEM ALL SO YOU CAN STOP NOW AND NOT WASTE YOUR TIME BECAUSE I JUST DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ THEM ALL, SOME ARE REALLY NASTY AS YOU CAN IMAGINE.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

I'm just sayin', that's all.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

The Annoyed Man

WarHawk-AVG wrote:Grow some common sense! Most importantly...quit being the SILENT majority..let these pinheads know..their rights STOP where my rights START!
Dude, I've got plenty of common sense. What part of my above posts agreed with that guy's position? Exactly none of it. And I haven't advocated silence. I even said I hope that he reads this thread. All I said was...

...Geeze. Never mind.

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

One of the tactics used by anti's on anything they are attacking is 'baiting'. Any way they get to you and entice you into calling names or telling them they are ignorant, ranting about their unrealistic view, etc. just helps fuel their fire. As Charles said, emails and printed letters can be used as ammo to try and help them support their views.

The best method is to send factual information in a business like method, sympathizing with their plight but stating your case in the hope of educating them, OR just let them go on their way and hope they will eventually fade away. Most times cool level headed reasoning, even though it may not seem to be working quickly, is the best solution over time.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man

Keith B wrote:One of the tactics used by anti's on anything they are attacking is 'baiting'. Any way they get to you and entice you into calling names or telling them they are ignorant, ranting about their unrealistic view, etc. just helps fuel their fire. As Charles said, emails and printed letters can be used as ammo to try and help them support their views.
That is the point I was trying to make. Thank you for stating it more clearly than I did.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”