Callous disregard for one's fellow man

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

dicion
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Callous disregard for one's fellow man

Post by dicion »

People just need to not have children if they cannot care for them properly or are just going to neglect them.

I know some people might disagree with me here, but I believe that having children is a choice (I'm talking pre-conception here, not even touching post-conception with a 500 foot pole).
A choice that needs to be made intelligently, and, I believe, a choice some people should definitely decide against.
Unfortunately, it seems that having the intelligence & ability required to make this decision is directly at odds with the people who need to decide against it the most. :smilelol5:
Reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.

Solves 2 problems, their genes don't get passed down, and children don't get neglected/abused like that. Win/Win for everyone.

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 14

Post by seamusTX »

How do you enforce that?

It never has been done in a just or humane manner. Ancient societies had castration, human sacrifice, and infanticide (often called by the euphemism of exposure). More recently it was forced sterilization and abortion.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

dicion

Post by dicion »

seamusTX wrote:How do you enforce that?

It never has been done in a just or humane manner. Ancient societies had castration, human sacrifice, and infanticide (often called by the euphemism of exposure). More recently it was forced sterilization and abortion.

- Jim
Oh, I agree there's no way to enforce it, or even if there was, no way to set a 'line' to decide by. I was being purely academic.

I was speaking more that people unfit to raise children should decide themselves not to do so. Then again, their lack of ability to make smart decisions is usually what makes them unfit as such. So It's an unsolvable problem.

Generally, if a couple is intelligent enough to determine that children are not the best plan for them at their current point in their lives, and decide to hold off on having them for a while, or at all, they're already probably responsible adults (as evidenced by the discussion and weighed decision they have made), and as such, would be just as responsible parents, and not the ones we read about in the news :smilelol5:

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Darwin will step in eventually, but it will be messy and ugly.

- Jim

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

One must remember that is one of the inalienable rights reaffermed by the 9th Amendment of the Constitution. Also your idea and mine will differ as to who would be a fit parrent, and I'm shure that their idea would disagree with both. Who would have the right to decide?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

seamusTX wrote:In Marina Del Rey, Florida, a man apparently shot himself in the head on the balcony of his appartment early this week. His body was draped over the railing for four days. Neighbors thought it was a Halloween display.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-m ... 1861.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
I can see how folks would think this. The last thought I would have is that it was a real dead person. I drove by a dead guy one morning several years ago and thought he was sleeping. It was a block from where I worked and illegals used to hang out there all the time waiting for day work. He was laying by a tree kind of laying on his side and facing down. Just like I lay when I sleep. I remember thinking about how the hood was going to crap with illegals sleeping under every other tree. Thirty minutes later my fellow employees are all abuzz about the dead guy found down the road. I walked down there and told the cops I had seen him thirty minutes earlier. They said thanks but it didn't change anything as he had obviously been dead for several hours. One of his buddies had stabbed him the night before . they figured it was probably a dispute over a job.

Anyway... the problem is that we don't think dead body right off the bat in these situations. If the guy had been laying in the parking lot I probably would have tried to "wake" him up so he didn't get run over. But seeing a guy in the grass under a tree makes me think sleeping by a tree.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

seamusTX wrote:Residents of a apartment complex in Bethany, Oklahoma (OK City area) ignored a man who was lying on the ground unconscious. One stated that he thought the man was drunk.

Police eventually were called hours later and found that the man had been shot in the head. He was brought to a hospital in critical condition.

http://newsok.com/bethany-shooting-vict ... le/3380442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
Bethany is the home of Southern Nazarene University and a BIG church town. Probably has a 60+% population attending church on Sunday. And about 90% of them would not walk 5 feet to check on someone they thought was drunk or otherwise impaired. One reasons why I do not believe in churches. HYPOCRITES!!!

:mad5
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I can see how folks w'ould think this. The last thought I would have is that it was a real dead person. I drove by a dead guy one morning several years ago and thought he was sleeping...
You'll never do it again, though.

When I was a kid my father saw someone slumped over in a parked car on our block. He went to check, and it turned out to be a dead man. (I never did find out what he died of.)

After that I always think dead first.

BTW, day laborers and illegal immigrants are good candidates for robbery. Because they don't have bank accounts, they often carry a lot of cash. The women tend to become victims of Jack the Ripper-type rapists or killers.

- Jim

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

seamusTX wrote:Always think dead first.

Tag line of the day! :smilelol5:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

dicion wrote:
seamusTX wrote:How do you enforce that?

- Jim
Oh, I agree there's no way to enforce it, or even if there was, no way to set a 'line' to decide by. I was being purely academic.

I was speaking more that people unfit to raise children should decide themselves not to do so. Then again, their lack of ability to make smart decisions is usually what makes them unfit as such. So It's an unsolvable problem.

Generally, if a couple is intelligent enough to determine that children are not the best plan for them at their current point in their lives, and decide to hold off on having them for a while, or at all, they're already probably responsible adults (as evidenced by the discussion and weighed decision they have made), and as such, would be just as responsible parents, and not the ones we read about in the news :smilelol5:
A few random thoughts.

Having a CHL and carrying makes me more likely to stop and help someone. I imagine this is true for other CHLs also.

The line should be drawn at killing any child by actions or grievous neglect. Forced sterilization in that case would be just and proper.

Cops see the ones that don’t make it to the emergency room.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

VoiceofReason wrote:Having a CHL and carrying makes me more likely to stop and help someone. I imagine this is true for other CHLs also.
I don't know that having a CHL per se or being armed leads directly to doing anything. (I can't think of plenty of things it shouldn't lead a person to do, like escalating road rage.)

I think a certain type of personality formed by education and training leads a person to prepare for various possibilities, whether it's carrying a weapon or other tools, having emergency supplies on hand, being observant, or taking the initiative in situations.

I had a flashback this morning to an episode that must have occurred in the 1970s when I lived in Chicago. I looked out the window and saw a man sleeping or passed out on the front porch. I was pretty sure he wasn't dead—you can tell. I literally poked him with a stick because I didn't want him to grab me if I woke him up. It turned out he had been drunk and had no idea how he got there.

Good thing for him it wasn't freezing cold when he lay down in the middle of the night.

- Jim

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

When we come across a new situation, it is filtered through our brains and compared to the situations most similar to it that we've run across in the past.

For example: I've been around alcohol and those who drink it my entire life, but I can honestly say I've only ever seen 1 person stumbling drunk, and that's when I was a child. Physical details didn't stay in my memory as I primarily recall emotions and how I responded. If I came across someone stumbling drunk, I would first think the person might be ill before thinking drunk and would have to consciously remind myself that being drunk is more common and a more likely cause. It would be a faster connection if it was night, on the street, near a bar. It would be a much slower connection if I came across the person during the day, dressed well, in an office. Context gives a lot of clues to the brain when figuring things out.

I think it is a testament to the kinds of life experiences people have had when they interpret good things, or at least neutral ones, before they interpret catastrophic or bad things in what they see.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
seamusTX wrote:Residents of a apartment complex in Bethany, Oklahoma (OK City area) ignored a man who was lying on the ground unconscious. One stated that he thought the man was drunk.

Police eventually were called hours later and found that the man had been shot in the head. He was brought to a hospital in critical condition.

http://newsok.com/bethany-shooting-vict ... le/3380442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
Bethany is the home of Southern Nazarene University and a BIG church town. Probably has a 60+% population attending church on Sunday. And about 90% of them would not walk 5 feet to check on someone they thought was drunk or otherwise impaired. One reasons why I do not believe in churches. HYPOCRITES!!!

For what it's worth, I'm a worship leader and faithfully attend my church, and I don't believe in churches either. I believe in the reason for going to church....and that is to worship the most high God. I have to take issue with what you've said here. Who is it who ministers to the homeless, the drunk and downtrodden? Christian believers, that's who. Who brings food to those people, tries to find them medicine, shelter, and clothing? Christian believers, that's who. Who donates most or all of the money to pay for these services? Christian believers, that's who. I don't see any atheists down there in the trenches trying to help someone in dire need. I'm just sayin'.....

You've painted a whole lot of good people with a pretty broad brush, and I don't believe that you have a properly informed opinion when you say that 90% of the churchgoers in a given town wouldn't go 5 feet out of their way to try and help someone who is laying in the street. Sure, maybe some wouldn't, but my experience is the exact opposite of that, and the empirical evidence backs up my opinion. Your's is merely a justification for something that's bothering you, because you're angry at God about something. That's between you and Him.

Do churches have hypocrites in them? Sure they do. That doesn't mean that all churchgoers are hypocrites. Not even close. Churches also have alcoholics, sex addicts, and drug abusers in them—just like in the rest of the world—but that doesn't mean that 90% of church goers are alcoholics, sex addicts, and drug abusers. Why is that, you might ask, that sinners can be found in churches? It is because CHURCHES ARE ALSO HOSPITALS FOR SINNERS, NOT ONLY HOTELS FOR SAINTS! The Bible says that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23), and that includes both church-goers and non-churchgoers.

By your logic, you might as well never vote in another election, because government is full of hypocrites. You might as well never put your money in a bank, because some bank managers are hypocrites. Etc., etc., etc. Of COURSE some of them are. It's part of the human condition. But to say that 90% of churchgoers in a given town wouldn't walk 5 feet to see if someone laid out on the ground was OK or not, is not only a gross exaggeration, it's kind of a pathetic reason for not dealing with your own issues with God. Sorry. I have to call 'em like I see 'em. I most sincerely hope for the sake of your own spiritual health that you are able to resolve that anger at Him.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

sjfcontrol wrote:
seamusTX wrote:Always think dead first.

Tag line of the day! :smilelol5:

"rlol"

03Lightningrocks

The Annoyed Man wrote:
OldCurlyWolf wrote:

- Jim

For what it's worth, I'm a worship leader and faithfully attend my church, and I don't believe in churches either. I believe in the reason for going to church....and that is to worship the most high God. I have to take issue with what you've said here. Who is it who ministers to the homeless, the drunk and downtrodden? Christian believers, that's who. Who brings food to those people, tries to find them medicine, shelter, and clothing? Christian believers, that's who. Who donates most or all of the money to pay for these services? Christian believers, that's who. I don't see any atheists down there in the trenches trying to help someone in dire need. I'm just sayin'.....

You've painted a whole lot of good people with a pretty broad brush, and I don't believe that you have a properly informed opinion when you say that 90% of the churchgoers in a given town wouldn't go 5 feet out of their way to try and help someone who is laying in the street. Sure, maybe some wouldn't, but my experience is the exact opposite of that, and the empirical evidence backs up my opinion. Your's is merely a justification for something that's bothering you, because you're angry at God about something. That's between you and Him.

Do churches have hypocrites in them? Sure they do. That doesn't mean that all churchgoers are hypocrites. Not even close. Churches also have alcoholics, sex addicts, and drug abusers in them—just like in the rest of the world—but that doesn't mean that 90% of church goers are alcoholics, sex addicts, and drug abusers. Why is that, you might ask, that sinners can be found in churches? It is because CHURCHES ARE ALSO HOSPITALS FOR SINNERS, NOT ONLY HOTELS FOR SAINTS! The Bible says that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23), and that includes both church-goers and non-churchgoers.

By your logic, you might as well never vote in another election, because government is full of hypocrites. You might as well never put your money in a bank, because some bank managers are hypocrites. Etc., etc., etc. Of COURSE some of them are. It's part of the human condition. But to say that 90% of churchgoers in a given town wouldn't walk 5 feet to see if someone laid out on the ground was OK or not, is not only a gross exaggeration, it's kind of a pathetic reason for not dealing with your own issues with God. Sorry. I have to call 'em like I see 'em. I most sincerely hope for the sake of your own spiritual health that you are able to resolve that anger at Him.
I have to agree with TAM. It is like saying all Libtards are godless heathens, with not a lick of common sense. Oh... wait a minute... they are. :mrgreen: But seriously, just because a few christians may be hypocrites does not mean the majority are.

Return to “Off-Topic”