Independence Day song playlist

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Independence Day song playlist

Post by Jasonw560 »

For who likes "Fanfare for he Common Man", Aaron Copland was a self-avowed communist.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Jasonw560 wrote:For who likes "Fanfare for he Common Man", Aaron Copland was a self-avowed communist.
And goodness knows, despite Copland’s sworn testimony before Congress in 1953 that he was not, and had never been, a communist, he should be labeled as such always...even described as “self-avowed.”

Thousands of Americans were labeled as communists post-war through the late ’50s, including the likes of Nelson Algren, Charlie Chaplin, W.E.B. Du Bois, Ruth Gordon, Dashiell Hammett, Lena Horne, Burgess Meredith, Arthur Miller, Dr. Linus Pauling, Edward G. Robinson, Pete Seeger, and Irwin Shaw.

It’s called “McCarthyism,” and it’s been recognized and done with for more than 50 years.

I won’t derail this thread...and I’m certainly no Copland apologist (don’t like much of his stuff, actually). I simply like good music, and have more classical in my collection than anything else.

But there are reasons many consider him to be the composer of archetypal, 20th-century American classical music. “Fanfare” was written in 1942 at the request of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra for a patriotic theme in response to the entry of the U.S. into WWII, and was inspired by a famous speech by the then-current Vice President of the United States.

As someone whose people got to these shores shortly after 1735, and have fought in every war this country has ever waged, I’ll stand by my contention that “Fanfare for the Common Man” is an inspirational classic of U.S. patriotism. Find a quality recording, put on the headphones, sit back, and tell me that you don’t hear the resolve, the bravery, the self-sufficiency, and the heart-and-soul commitment that it took to establish and defend this country.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

[youtube][/youtube]

The above video is "Livin' In the USA" with its originator Chuck Berry, Linda Ronstadt, and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones.
When my brother was in the US Navy flying in C2's from the Phillipines and carriers, we sent him the "Linda" only version of this on a mix tape.

************************************************************************************************************************************************
I heard Jimi Hendrix do The Star Spangled Banner, live, at the original Woodstock Music Festival, August 1969.
The festival was supposed to be Fri/Sat/Sun, but IIRC, Hendrix was the last band to close out the festival, and he came
on Monday morning around sunrise. Good times.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************
Lee Greenwood's song - The first time I heard this was at Stone Mountain, Georgia, July 1988, as part of the laser light show which
projects upon the large, carved figures of the Confederate generals. Having just moved down to Atlanta from Mass, I had
not heard this tune before (no country radio to speak of in Mass).

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Skiprr wrote:
Jasonw560 wrote:For who likes "Fanfare for he Common Man", Aaron Copland was a self-avowed communist.
And goodness knows, despite Copland’s sworn testimony before Congress in 1953 that he was not, and had never been, a communist, he should be labeled as such always...even described as “self-avowed.”

Thousands of Americans were labeled as communists post-war through the late ’50s, including the likes of Nelson Algren, Charlie Chaplin, W.E.B. Du Bois, Ruth Gordon, Dashiell Hammett, Lena Horne, Burgess Meredith, Arthur Miller, Dr. Linus Pauling, Edward G. Robinson, Pete Seeger, and Irwin Shaw.

It’s called “McCarthyism,” and it’s been recognized and done with for more than 50 years.

I won’t derail this thread...and I’m certainly no Copland apologist (don’t like much of his stuff, actually). I simply like good music, and have more classical in my collection than anything else.

But there are reasons many consider him to be the composer of archetypal, 20th-century American classical music.
“Fanfare” was written in 1942 at the request of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra for a patriotic theme in response tothe entry of the U.S. into WWII, and was inspired by a famous speech by the then-current Vice President of the United States.

As someone whose people got to these shores shortly after 1735, and have fought in every war this country has ever waged, I’ll stand by my contention that “Fanfare for the Common Man” is an inspirational classic of U.S. patriotism. Find a quality recording, put on the headphones, sit back, and tell me that you don’t hear the resolve, the bravery, the self-sufficiency, and the heart-and-soul commitment that it took to establish and defend this country.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic...
He supported the Communist Party USA in 1936, was a member of the heavily communist influenced Young Composer's Group. He surrounded himself with those of the progressive ilk. The then-current Vice President was FDR's VP, the Progressive party candidate Henry A Wallace, is for whom "Fanfare" was written. (Without the communists, I F Stone wrote, the Progressive Party wouldn't exist)

He mellowed out in his later years, but was still noted as a liberal/progressive.

But, I digress....Hi-jack over.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

I got goose bumps so many times watching all the videos in this thread.
Thanks guys!
Stay proud and patriotic!
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Jasonw560 wrote:For who likes "Fanfare for he Common Man", Aaron Copland was a self-avowed communist...

He surrounded himself with those of the progressive ilk.
:roll:

It is what it is.

To everyone, I wish a very happy and safe 4th of July!
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

The Mad Moderate
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Mad Moderate »

This one reminds me of the spirt of America.

[youtube][/youtube]
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

John Phillip Sousa's marches are some I love around the 4th. Especially with a great fireworks display.

Mr.ViperBoa

Post by Mr.ViperBoa »

WildBill wrote:Not a song, but a video from the Red Skelton TV show aired in 1969.

[youtube][/youtube]
He was a true visionary it seems.
Christian/Family man
Veteran
CHL Instructor
http://www.texaschlsolutions.com/

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 17

Post by A-R »

any Fourth of July songlist is incomplete without a little Robert Earl Keen ...

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by A-R on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 17

Post by A-R »

gotta have some Willie too (despite his political leanings) ...

[youtube][/youtube]

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

austinrealtor wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Following that theme.

[youtube][/youtube]
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

Jasonw560 wrote:John Phillip Sousa's marches are some I love around the 4th. Especially with a great fireworks display.
The Liberty Bell March is my favorite Sousa march.

[youtube][/youtube]
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Maybe it was because Dad was very patriotic and a former Navy guy, but whenever I think "patriotic" song - The Navy Hymn - Eternal Father comes to mind. One of my faves! Hard to get through without tears for me.http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=172
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I think most of my favorites are already listed.

Have these been posted?
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

My favorite that hasn't been posted is one I couldn't find a video of, but you can hear Farewell, Kindness Emerging, America, My Country 'tis of Thee, Taps (The Farewell Medley) by George Winston on MySpace here.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Off-Topic”