TSA approved leatherman

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

TSA approved leatherman

Post by ghostrider »

Has anyone boarded a plane carrying one of these:

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style_PS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Thomas

Re: TSA approved leatherman

Post by Thomas »

The webpage you linked doesn't say anything about the TSA. It just says it's "TRAVEL-FRIENDLY" and it "Fits in a pocket or clips on your pack or bag for easy portability."

My Ruger LCP is travel-friendly, fits in my pocket, and can clip inside my pants for easy portability.

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

It has this logo on the page:
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

MasterOfNone wrote:It has this logo on the page:
Clicking on that symbol gets you this warning...
Tool.jpg
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

When a statement starts with "While", I just interpret: "results WILL vary" and when the TSA confiscates it, Leatherman will have something they can point to while thinking or maybe saying "feel free to buy another one and try again".

Anyway, to answer the OP: No, I haven't, and I probably never will.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

RoyGBiv wrote:
MasterOfNone wrote:It has this logo on the page:
Clicking on that symbol gets you this warning...
Tool.jpg
What that statement alludes to is that the TSA has been "given" powers far above and beyond what they should have...and they pretty much can't be forced to give a "regular citizen" recourse if they mess up...most law enforcement agencies, while it may be difficult (and perhaps it should be) to do, can be sued for recompense for improper and/or illegal actions. The TSA people are pretty much above the law. So, even if a manufacturer says something like "TSA Approved", all they mean is that someone in some office of the TSA didn't see a problem with it...which means NOTHING where the rubber hits the road in any given airport.

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

Or if one of the less honest ones wants it they will simply confiscate it.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Reloader

Post by Reloader »

Years ago, I had a KUBOTAN confiscated by a security goof in San Antonio airport. Had to get SAPD to insist they could not confiscate my truck keys on it, just the KUBOTAN!. The idiot security also told me my Buck 119 was OK, since he didn't need it. I got my truck keys, thanks to the sergeant, cause this other goof and his supervisor insisted that my keys had to confiscated, too. My point is you can''t take a chance on STUPID!! :banghead:
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
Amateur radio Instructor, VE KE5LDO
Tarleton State University '74

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

The TSA folks, depending on their mood and desires, seem to be able to call anything a weapon. Last month, after giving up on my argument regarding the Wilderness Tactical "Traveler's Belt" I was wearing, I got to observe a rather amusing debate with the next person in line. TSA said they were confiscating the 1" Swiss Army "knife" he had on his key chain and he was questioning the logic of that decision, since he was also carrying a large toolbox filled with significantly more capable weapons. He was an electrical contractor being put through security to work at one of the vendors in the airport. It was funny to watch the TSA guy explain that the "knife" was a weapon while the screwdrivers/drill bits/hammers were "tools".

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Lodge2004 wrote:The TSA folks, depending on their mood and desires, seem to be able to call anything a weapon. Last month, after giving up on my argument regarding the Wilderness Tactical "Traveler's Belt" I was wearing, I got to observe a rather amusing debate with the next person in line. TSA said they were confiscating the 1" Swiss Army "knife" he had on his key chain and he was questioning the logic of that decision, since he was also carrying a large toolbox filled with significantly more capable weapons. He was an electrical contractor being put through security to work at one of the vendors in the airport. It was funny to watch the TSA guy explain that the "knife" was a weapon while the screwdrivers/drill bits/hammers were "tools".
So it would seem that not only have they been given powers above those of normal law enforcement...and some of them are meaner than a rattlesnake...but some of them are also dumber than a box of rocks...I think if I wanted a security job, I'd rather be a "mall cop" than work for TSA... :banghead:

*EDITED FOR CLARITY*

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

Heartland Patriot wrote:So it would seem that not only have they been given powers above those of normal law enforcement...and some of them are meaner than a rattlesnake...but some of them are also dumber than a box of rocks...I think if I wanted a security job, I'd rather be a "mall cop" than work for TSA... :banghead:
That's a logical decision. On average, you would have smarter, more competent, and friendlier coworkers.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

texasag93

Post by texasag93 »

I was flying out of Reagan National about 4 years ago and I had a full size screwdriver (6" with handle) in my computer bag. The TSA pulled it out, I looked at it and said, "Oops, I will throw it away. I am sorry." He told me that it was a tool and it was okay. WOW!

To this day, that is the weirdest thing that I have had happen at security. I have had a few others that were crazy, but that was pre 9/11.
texasag93

Return to “Off-Topic”