Malaysia Airlines Flight Vanishes

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Vanishes

Post by Dragonfighter »

philip964 wrote:I know the families are hoping the people are alive. If we imagine for a second they are alive. Think of the logistics of detaining 250 people for two weeks. No one escapes, uses their cell phone. None of your compatriots tells anyone where they are being kept. Deserted island somewhere? If it was Pakistan, or some place like that they would have been discovered already.

Time will tell.
If you were taken hostage by hijacking and flown somewhere in the back of a plane, could you tell your loved ones where you are? Provided your phone wasn't discovered and taken in the first place I mean.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 24

Post by RoyGBiv »

Dragonfighter wrote:
philip964 wrote:I know the families are hoping the people are alive. If we imagine for a second they are alive. Think of the logistics of detaining 250 people for two weeks. No one escapes, uses their cell phone. None of your compatriots tells anyone where they are being kept. Deserted island somewhere? If it was Pakistan, or some place like that they would have been discovered already.

Time will tell.
If you were taken hostage by hijacking and flown somewhere in the back of a plane, could you tell your loved ones where you are? Provided your phone wasn't discovered and taken in the first place I mean.
Yes... Within a few feet anywhere in the world... My phone has GPS
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Keith B
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Keith B »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:

Time will tell.
Provided you had cell coverage to call. A GPS does you no good without the capability of making contact. There is not cell coverage in many large areas of the world. Even the US has LOTS of areas that have limited to no cellular service.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Keith B wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:

Time will tell.
Provided you had cell coverage to call. A GPS does you no good without the capability of making contact. There is not cell coverage in many large areas of the world. Even the US has LOTS of areas that have limited to no cellular service.
Agreed.. Knowing where you are but not being able to tell anyone isn't very helpful.
However, I'd wager that anywhere that had a runway lng enough to land a 777 is close enough to a tower to make a call.
No so for a dirt landing in a remote desert, or a Siberian 4-lane.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by steveincowtown »

Sounds like they are now saying it did definitely go down in the southern Indian Ocean.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/24/world/asi ... ?hpt=hp_t1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 went down over the southern Indian Ocean, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said Monday, citing a new analysis of satellite data by a British satellite company and accident investigators.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

steveincowtown wrote:Sounds like they are now saying it did definitely go down in the southern Indian Ocean.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/24/world/asi ... ?hpt=hp_t1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 went down over the southern Indian Ocean, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said Monday, citing a new analysis of satellite data by a British satellite company and accident investigators.
The investigation seems to be narrowing... Still, nobody's put a hand on any debris confirmed to be from that flight.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by steveincowtown »

RoyGBiv wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:Sounds like they are now saying it did definitely go down in the southern Indian Ocean.

The investigation seems to be narrowing... Still, nobody's put a hand on any debris confirmed to be from that flight.
Agreed. Seems like possibly the British satellite's "never before used analysis techniques" have provided a detailed enough image to confirm that it is the flight. So detailed, in fact, that they don't want it released for fear of revealing the capabilities of the satellite.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

philip964
Posts in topic: 73

Post by philip964 »

Plane has not been located because of man made climate change (AKA global warming)

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... 370-search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never waste a good disaster to advance your cause.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://news.yahoo.com/inmarsat-interrog ... ector.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doppler effect use to determine the plane had taken the Southern route. Thus the announcement today.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

philip964 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/inmarsat-interrog ... ector.html

Doppler effect use to determine the plane had taken the Southern route. Thus the announcement today.
Interesting analysis and confirmed by checking against a known source. Good work, it seems.
The company then compared its theoretical flight path with data received from Boeing 777s it knew had flown the same route, he said, and it matched exactly.
Now, my only question on this data is... What other 777's fly that particular route into the abyss of the Southern Ocean?
I fly over the North Pole frequently, when heading to Asia. Is a South Pole route typical from anywhere in the Pacific? :confused5

ETA: Answer seems to be yes... http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... n/2372669/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JHB to SYD would probably provide good data for comparison.

howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by howdy »

Here is a video of 24 hours of world air traffic. You can see that lone aircraft going west then east across the south Indian Ocean.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Keith B
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Keith B »

The south pole is not a common route for flights. Even the north pole is not a heavily traversed flight path, but is used depending on origin/destination for a non-stop. Here is site that you can see live air traffic as reported via ACARS/ADS-B and FAA data http://www.flightradar24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Just know there are blind spots for these routes and unless the aircraft is reporting back to a ground station or via satellite you will not see it on the map.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missin ... cts-n62356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These images are starting to look like debris from something.

strider67
Posts in topic: 12

Post by strider67 »

philip964 wrote:http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missin ... cts-n62356

These images are starting to look like debris from something.
The objects were between one meter (3 feet) and 23 meters (72 feet) in length and were seen across an area of ocean approximately 154 square miles wide, acting transport minister Hishamuddin Hussein told reporters.
Looks like a possible debris field to me...
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

strider67
Posts in topic: 12

Post by strider67 »

Search now shifts approximately 700 miles to the Northeast, closer to Perth, as a result of new "credible" data.

http://news.yahoo.com/mh370-search-area ... 26793.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It indicated that the aircraft was travelling faster than previously estimated, resulting in increased fuel usage and reducing the possible distance the aircraft travelled south into the Indian Ocean."
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Return to “Off-Topic”