Malaysia Airlines Flight Vanishes

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 33

Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Vanishes

Post by jmra »

anygunanywhere wrote:
mojo84 wrote: I also think the Malaysian government is hiding something.
This^^^^.

Anygunanywhere
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

jmra wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
mojo84 wrote: I also think the Malaysian government is hiding something.
This^^^^.

Anygunanywhere
:iagree:

yep, someone is hiding something
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Keith B
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Keith B »

They are now investigating a report off the southeast coast of Vietnam where a oil rig worker sent an email stating he saw a burning plane in the sky that night. ABC had their 'aviation expert' on and was saying "the guy supposedly saw the plane 7 miles away, and it was at night. you can't even see a plane 7 miles away during the daytime." Uh, excuse me? i see planes at 35,000 - 40,000 feet all the time going over and you can clearly see them, especially one the size of a Triple-7. I also can see planes on approach to DFW from my house on clear days and that is a good 20 miles line of sight. A plane at night burning would be easily visible from 20+ miles away in the sky.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

VMI77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VMI77 »

Another more plausible explanation?

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=228843&page=2
A November 2013 FAA Airworthiness Directive for the 777

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013...2..." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

SUMMARY: We propose to adopt a new airworthiness directive (AD) for

certain The Boeing Company Model 777 airplanes. This proposed AD was
prompted by a report of cracking in the fuselage skin underneath the
satellite communication (SATCOM) antenna adapter. This proposed AD
would require repetitive inspections of the visible fuselage skin and
doubler if installed, for cracking, corrosion, and any indication of
contact of a certain fastener to a bonding jumper, and repair if
necessary. We are proposing this AD to detect and correct cracking and
corrosion in the fuselage skin, which could lead to rapid decompression
and loss of structural integrity of the airplane.

Summary: Its plausible that a fuselage section near the SATCOM antenna adapter failed, disabling satellite based - GPS, ACARS, and ADS-B/C - communications, and leading to a slow decompression that left all occupants unconscious. If such decompression left the aircraft intact, then the autopilot would have flown the planned route or otherwise maintained its heading/altitude until fuel exhaustion.
A slow decompression (e.g. from a golfball-sized hole) would have gradually impaired and confused the pilots before cabin altitude (pressure) warnings sounded.
Chain of events:

Likely fuselage failure near SATCOM antenna adapter, disabling some or all of GPS, ACARS, ADS-B, and ADS-C antennas and systems.
Thus, only primary radars would detect the plane. Primary radar range is usually less than 100nm, and is generally ineffective at high altitudes.

If the decompression was slow enough, its possible the pilots did not realize to put on oxygen masks until it was too late. (See Helios 522)

Also explains why another Pilot thirty minutes ahead heard mumbling from MH370 pilots.
(VHF comms would be unaffected by SATCOM equipment failure.)

With incapacitated pilots, the 777 could continue to fly on Autopilot - programmed to maintain cruise altitude and follow the programmed route. Using the Inertial Reference System (gyroscope based), the plane could navigate without needing GPS.
Other thoughts:

The plane was equipped with cellular communication hardware, supplied by AeroMobile, to provide GSM services via satellite. However this is an aftermarket product; its not connected through SATCOM (as far as I know).
This explains why 19 families signed a statement alleging they were able to call the MH370 passengers and get their phones to ring, but with no response.
When Malaysian Airlines tried to call the phone numbers a day later, the phones did not ring. By this time, fuel would have been exhausted.

Note: 777 Passenger Oxygen masks do not deploy until cabin altitude reaches 13,500. Passengers were likely already unconscious by then, if it was a slow decompression. Also remember that this flight was a red-eye, most passengers would be trying to sleep, masking alarming effects of oxygen deprivation. No confirmed debris has been found anywhere near the search area, consistent with the plane having flown for hours after it lost radar contact.
Conclusion:
This was likely not an explosive decompression or inflight disintegration. This was likely a slow decompression that gradually deprived all crew/passengers of oxygen, leaving the autopilot to continue along the route autonomously.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

VMI77 wrote:Another more plausible explanation?

A November 2013 FAA Airworthiness Directive for the 777

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013...2..." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

SUMMARY: We propose to adopt a new airworthiness directive (AD) for

certain The Boeing Company Model 777 airplanes. This proposed AD was
prompted by a report of cracking in the fuselage skin underneath the
satellite communication (SATCOM) antenna adapter. This proposed AD
would require repetitive inspections of the visible fuselage skin and
doubler if installed, for cracking, corrosion, and any indication of
contact of a certain fastener to a bonding jumper, and repair if
necessary. We are proposing this AD to detect and correct cracking and
corrosion in the fuselage skin, which could lead to rapid decompression
and loss of structural integrity of the airplane.

Summary: Its plausible that a fuselage section near the SATCOM antenna adapter failed, disabling satellite based - GPS, ACARS, and ADS-B/C - communications, and leading to a slow decompression that left all occupants unconscious. If such decompression left the aircraft intact, then the autopilot would have flown the planned route or otherwise maintained its heading/altitude until fuel exhaustion.
A slow decompression (e.g. from a golfball-sized hole) would have gradually impaired and confused the pilots before cabin altitude (pressure) warnings sounded.
Chain of events:

Likely fuselage failure near SATCOM antenna adapter, disabling some or all of GPS, ACARS, ADS-B, and ADS-C antennas and systems.
Thus, only primary radars would detect the plane. Primary radar range is usually less than 100nm, and is generally ineffective at high altitudes.

If the decompression was slow enough, its possible the pilots did not realize to put on oxygen masks until it was too late. (See Helios 522)

Also explains why another Pilot thirty minutes ahead heard mumbling from MH370 pilots.
(VHF comms would be unaffected by SATCOM equipment failure.)

With incapacitated pilots, the 777 could continue to fly on Autopilot - programmed to maintain cruise altitude and follow the programmed route. Using the Inertial Reference System (gyroscope based), the plane could navigate without needing GPS.
Other thoughts:

The plane was equipped with cellular communication hardware, supplied by AeroMobile, to provide GSM services via satellite. However this is an aftermarket product; its not connected through SATCOM (as far as I know).
This explains why 19 families signed a statement alleging they were able to call the MH370 passengers and get their phones to ring, but with no response.
When Malaysian Airlines tried to call the phone numbers a day later, the phones did not ring. By this time, fuel would have been exhausted.

Note: 777 Passenger Oxygen masks do not deploy until cabin altitude reaches 13,500. Passengers were likely already unconscious by then, if it was a slow decompression. Also remember that this flight was a red-eye, most passengers would be trying to sleep, masking alarming effects of oxygen deprivation. No confirmed debris has been found anywhere near the search area, consistent with the plane having flown for hours after it lost radar contact.
Conclusion:
This was likely not an explosive decompression or inflight disintegration. This was likely a slow decompression that gradually deprived all crew/passengers of oxygen, leaving the autopilot to continue along the route autonomously.
But it still would have been visible to military radar and someone knows something.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 24

Post by RoyGBiv »

Wreckage possibly located along original flight path.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03/12 ... ne-debris/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not yet confirmed. Still only mid morning over there.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 20

Post by WildBill »

RoyGBiv wrote:Wreckage possibly located along original flight path.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03/12 ... ne-debris/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not yet confirmed. Still only mid morning over there.
That's good news. At least they can sent some planes and boats to collect the objects.
NRA Endowment Member

philip964
Posts in topic: 73

Post by philip964 »

Lower point is the Chinese satellite photo of debris in the water, higher and to the East is the location of a oil worker who saw a burning object at high altitude. https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... JUOBxdoIiA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have to zoom out, I'm not very good with Google maps.

Seems to be where you would expect it to be from the flight path. The oil workers location is nearby. I suspect a plane on fire at 35,000 ft could be seen a 100 miles away at night.

strider67
Posts in topic: 12

Post by strider67 »

and leading to a slow decompression that left all occupants unconscious. If such decompression left the aircraft intact, then the autopilot would have flown the planned route or otherwise maintained its heading/altitude until fuel exhaustion.

Wasn't that the same, basic scenario when Payne Stewart of the PGA, and others, died aboard their small, private jet a number of years ago?
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

mojo84
Posts in topic: 14

Post by mojo84 »

strider67 wrote:

and leading to a slow decompression that left all occupants unconscious. If such decompression left the aircraft intact, then the autopilot would have flown the planned route or otherwise maintained its heading/altitude until fuel exhaustion.

Wasn't that the same, basic scenario when Payne Stewart of the PGA, and others, died aboard their small, private jet a number of years ago?

Yes. However, Payne's plane didn't disappear from radar and the transponder continued to work.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

strider67
Posts in topic: 12

Post by strider67 »

mojo84 wrote:
strider67 wrote:

Yes. However, Payne's plane didn't disappear from radar and the transponder continued to work.
Ah-Ha! This is true. And if I recall correctly, I believe their plane was also being shadowed by fighter jets in case it descended into a populated area. That was some sad stuff...
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

mojo84
Posts in topic: 14

Post by mojo84 »

Yes it was very sad.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra
Posts in topic: 33

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:Yes it was very sad.
:iagree: I kept the news channel on until the plane eventually went down. Can't imagine what the family went through during those hours.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Beiruty »

It is now an officially a "James Bond" class scenario.

The 777 did not crash, it is just have been stolen!

Read here: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/missin ... beforebell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

philip964
Posts in topic: 73

Post by philip964 »

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/03/ ... le-debris/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nothing found at the location of the Chinese satellite photo.

This is one of the better news articles, complete with maps and lots of visual aids.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/13/world ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is now a report that the Rolls Royce engines transmitted maintenance data for four hours after they lost contact.

Return to “Off-Topic”