SPAM text message stopper APP or something

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 5

SPAM text message stopper APP or something

Post by powerboatr »

Anyone know of a way to stop or really limit the number of spam text messages? I block callers easily enough and then they change one digit and call back
but the spam text messages are out of control, its about every 5 minutes a new spam comes in
verizon can stop them for 60 days for a fee of course but they come right back with anew sent from number or 5 or 6 digit number
we dont reply stop but do try to block them.

thanks
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SPAM text message stopper APP or something

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I’ve had some luck with the Hiya app for iPhone: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hiya-spam ... d986999874
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

iPhone or Android?

I tried the paid version of Robokiller for a year on my Android phone. Did not work very well. Currently using Google tools (Google messages and Google Phone app). Set settings to block SPAM in both. Works relatively well. Better than Robo for sure.

I use Robokiller at home... works fairly well there... was surprised it didn't work well on the mobile.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:34 pm iPhone or Android?

I tried the paid version of Robokiller for a year on my Android phone. Did not work very well. Currently using Google tools (Google messages and Google Phone app). Set settings to block SPAM in both. Works relatively well. Better than Robo for sure.

I use Robokiller at home... works fairly well there... was surprised it didn't work well on the mobile.
That's interesting. I have the Robo Killer app on my iPhone for the past 6 months and it's been flawless. Now it only stops calls, not texts...

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:03 pm

That's interesting. I have the Robo Killer app on my iPhone for the past 6 months and it's been flawless. Now it only stops calls, not texts...
I bet my blocked sender list has 2000 numbers on it and they still get through with calls. I hate it!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:03 pm

Interesting.... Maybe the app works better on iPhone?
Text spam blocking was claimed to be less effective than phone spam blocking when I was using it.... I found it terrible for text.

Google messages is way better blocking text spam, and it's free. Not sure if there's a version for iPhone.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

thanks all, its an android samsung a20 for wifes phone
mine is an old s6 and gets zero spams... but hers is all day long
she just got one from JEFF claiming to be UPS and wanted to know what a good time to deliver was?? she deleted it, its crazy . if she puts phone on do not disturb they pile in as soon as its turned off
will look at google app
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I get a lot of spam calls from realtors trying to get me to sell my house. I have lived in it since 1996 and it is in a neighborhood that has homes selling for 3 times what I paid. These realtors are driving me nuts.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

powerboatr wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:52 pm Anyone know of a way to stop or really limit the number of spam text messages? I block callers easily enough and then they change one digit and call back
but the spam text messages are out of control, its about every 5 minutes a new spam comes in
verizon can stop them for 60 days for a fee of course but they come right back with anew sent from number or 5 or 6 digit number
we dont reply stop but do try to block them.

thanks
I just answer the phone with, "Newcomb County Fraud Division, how can I help you?"
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

I use the Android messaging app and turn on spam protection. Whenever I get a text message from someone not in my contacts, I have the option of marking it as "spam" and blocking the number or adding the name to my contacts. Offending spammers will change their number but I found if I keep marking their messages as spam and blocking them, eventually the spam messages go away.

To block spam phone calls, I use an app called "CallBlocker" with a "white list"; i.e., it will send any call from someone not in my contacts to voice mail without even ringing my phone. I can always add callers to my contacts to prevent them from going to voice mail in the future.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

talked to verizon again this morning

guy told me to forward spam text messages to 7726 it sends them to some level of security and it begins a process to investigate the messages.
he also stated in about 10 days the messages will drastically stop as our number will not be in some que that prevents the large numbers of spams texts

so we shall see

wife wants an old flip phone now :tiphat:

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

powerboatr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:14 pm talked to verizon again this morning

guy told me to forward spam text messages to 7726 it sends them to some level of security and it begins a process to investigate the messages.
he also stated in about 10 days the messages will drastically stop as our number will not be in some que that prevents the large numbers of spams texts

so we shall see

your wife may be in luck .... I replaced my old 3g flip phone with a new 4g flip phone just last month .... to stay current with the "system", or some such nonsense. I'd be glad to donate the old 3g phone .... but it may not hook up to the "system" in another few months. :lol:

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

mr surveyor wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:59 pm
powerboatr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:14 pm talked to verizon again this morning

so we shall see

your wife may be in luck .... I replaced my old 3g flip phone with a new 4g flip phone just last month .... to stay current with the "system", or some such nonsense. I'd be glad to donate the old 3g phone .... but it may not hook up to the "system" in another few months. :lol:

jd
verizon offered me a new one for zero dollars if she wants to try it. she really got upset, with the constant spammmmmmm.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

puma guy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:32 am
I just answer the phone with, "Newcomb County Fraud Division, how can I help you?"
[/quote]

I rarely get spam with a human on the other end. It is always the computer calling and it requires me to push buttons to drop to the call center where all of the mischief can take place.

I have not proof but the computer dialers that call my hose don't see me have my "history". When I do push buttons to get live people on the line, the calls are almost always quickly terminated. I suspect that the screen that comes up when the call is routed to the call center DOES have my historical information. They know that I will do a ranger of things with a live caller, all of them bad and they just hang up on me. Now if I could just get them to use that information to feed their dialer software, they wouldn't call me.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I got another call that my SSN was found to be associated with criminal activity and that I was going to be arrested. I told them I'm already at the police station reporting a car accident and that I would turn myself in. I asked if they wanted to talk to the officer that is with me. They hung up.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Return to “Off-Topic”