Uh-oh.... another ugly trend

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Uh-oh.... another ugly trend

Post by The Annoyed Man »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:44 am I've posted similar replies in the past, but I'll post it again on this one. Every time I read one of these posts, I'm glad I live way out in the middle of flyover country. Sometimes I miss the amenities of living in a more populated area, but then again, where I live, the stuff those leftist terrorists are doing is highly unlikely out here. And according to some of the replies, the citizenry are in a no-win situation. The bad guys get to do anything they want and get away with it because no one is allowed to stop them because some crooked, criminal-loving prosecutor will put you in a prison where foul things will be done to you just because you don't want your property destroyed. I don't know who all has bought tires recently, but those things are EXPENSIVE. I'm just a blue-collar guy who does make a decent living but on the other hand, I don't have money to blow on new tires because they were slashed by a scumbag. No, I don't want to have to harm anyone for any reason, that's not what I'm getting at. What I am getting at is that there are deeper problems in this nation than just high inflation and fuel prices, when the legal system will go out of its way to side with criminals over hard-working citizens, according to some of the replies I read. Which, to sum up, is why I'm glad I live in flyover country.
New tires (BFG K02s) for my vehicle (4Runner) set me back $900 + tax, mounting, balancing, etc., less than a year ago. As I recall, I was out the door for just shy of $1100. With current inflation and the cost of oil, I just checked the replacement cost, and they went from $225/tire to $281/tire … a 24.9% increase. In my current financial situation, I can’t replace them. That may be a temporary thing, but it’s a fact for the now. So if someone slashes my tires, they’ve effectively immobilized me. Legal or not, it would be hard for me NOT to take that into consideration in how I’d react to someone I caught in the middle of slashing my tires.

Given that, I THINK my reaction would look something like this: tire-slashing assumes the perp has a knife in his/her hands. If I interrupt them, it’s likely that I’d do it with my gun in hand, and order them to the ground. They’ll either comply with a citizen's arrest, or they’ll run off. Either way, I’m not getting anywhere near them. Either way, my 2nd act would be to call the police while I simultaneously take their picture, with their weapons in hand. I’ll explain to 911 that I drew my lawfully carried firearm to interrupt their vandalism, because they were armed with knives. If they jump up and run off, I’ve got the picture to prove my point.

If they run off, I’ll holster my weapon before the police arrive. For descriptive purposes, I’d show the police the photo I took of them.

If police arrive while I’m still holding them at gun point, I’ll set the gun on the ground and step away from it, and let them control the scene. I’ll still show them the photo I took.

All of this presupposes that I catch them in the act. If I don’t, well then I am really well and truly screwed. I need to check to see if my insurance covers acts of vandalism.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:11 am
K.Mooneyham wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:44 am I've posted similar replies in the past, but I'll post it again on this one. Every time I read one of these posts, I'm glad I live way out in the middle of flyover country. Sometimes I miss the amenities of living in a more populated area, but then again, where I live, the stuff those leftist terrorists are doing is highly unlikely out here. And according to some of the replies, the citizenry are in a no-win situation. The bad guys get to do anything they want and get away with it because no one is allowed to stop them because some crooked, criminal-loving prosecutor will put you in a prison where foul things will be done to you just because you don't want your property destroyed. I don't know who all has bought tires recently, but those things are EXPENSIVE. I'm just a blue-collar guy who does make a decent living but on the other hand, I don't have money to blow on new tires because they were slashed by a scumbag. No, I don't want to have to harm anyone for any reason, that's not what I'm getting at. What I am getting at is that there are deeper problems in this nation than just high inflation and fuel prices, when the legal system will go out of its way to side with criminals over hard-working citizens, according to some of the replies I read. Which, to sum up, is why I'm glad I live in flyover country.
New tires (BFG K02s) for my vehicle (4Runner) set me back $900 + tax, mounting, balancing, etc., less than a year ago. As I recall, I was out the door for just shy of $1100. With current inflation and the cost of oil, I just checked the replacement cost, and they went from $225/tire to $281/tire … a 24.9% increase. In my current financial situation, I can’t replace them. That may be a temporary thing, but it’s a fact for the now. So if someone slashes my tires, they’ve effectively immobilized me. Legal or not, it would be hard for me NOT to take that into consideration in how I’d react to someone I caught in the middle of slashing my tires.

Given that, I THINK my reaction would look something like this: tire-slashing assumes the perp has a knife in his/her hands. If I interrupt them, it’s likely that I’d do it with my gun in hand, and order them to the ground. They’ll either comply with a citizen's arrest, or they’ll run off. Either way, I’m not getting anywhere near them. Either way, my 2nd act would be to call the police while I simultaneously take their picture, with their weapons in hand. I’ll explain to 911 that I drew my lawfully carried firearm to interrupt their vandalism, because they were armed with knives. If they jump up and run off, I’ve got the picture to prove my point.

If they run off, I’ll holster my weapon before the police arrive. For descriptive purposes, I’d show the police the photo I took of them.

If police arrive while I’m still holding them at gun point, I’ll set the gun on the ground and step away from it, and let them control the scene. I’ll still show them the photo I took.

All of this presupposes that I catch them in the act. If I don’t, well then I am really well and truly screwed. I need to check to see if my insurance covers acts of vandalism.
That all sounds rather well-thought out and reasonable. And, thank you for the idea about the insurance, I'm going to have my wife inquire about ours, as well.

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jim Beaux »

Texas comp will cover vandalism less deductible...mine is $500.

Agent told me there is little difference in premium between $500 and $1000 ded.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BigGuy »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:41 pm

That all sounds rather well-thought out and reasonable. And, thank you for the idea about the insurance, I'm going to have my wife inquire about ours, as well.
In another lifetime I was a licensed Insurance Agent in Arkansas. All policies I saw would have covered it under the "Comprehensive" section with applicable deductible. Commonly $50 back in the 1980s.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

BigGuy wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:06 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:41 pm

In another lifetime I was a licensed Insurance Agent in Arkansas. All policies I saw would have covered it under the "Comprehensive" section with applicable deductible. Commonly $50 back in the 1980s.
When renewing my commercial policy for our company vehicles, they did not offer a policy with any less than a 1000 deductible for Comprehensive coverage. My agent told me none of the carriers offered this for commercial policies. Several years ago I had a 250 deductible for comprehensive. Between vehicle insurance and my required commercial liability and workers comp insurance, insurance has become one of my highest monthly business expenses.

Return to “Off-Topic”