windows operating system 11

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

windows operating system 11

Post by powerboatr »

Looking for good bad or ugly on windows 11
my computer keeps asking me to update to windows 11
lots of new stuff in 11 is things i wont use, like gaming and tabs with programs open as i garner from the microsoft page
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

stever1950
Posts in topic: 1

Re: windows operating system 11

Post by stever1950 »

I've been running windows since V3.1 and most updates gave me something useful. When I checked out V11, like you I don't see anything useful for average user. I'm not a big gamer or power user and Win10 does all and more than I need. I have also seen some reports where some of your present programs don't work on 11. My granddaughter who is a gamer tried it and went back to 10. Just my opinion of course, YMMV.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

extremist

Post by extremist »

Been using Windows 11 for almost a year via insider program. I have no issues with it. Have found no applications I use that don't work. I recently updated my two other machines to 11. One of them required a new AMD Ryzen processor to install without a hack because it was not supported, but it was a cheap enough upgrade so I did it.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 11. I don't like the new layout and don't see anything new that's useful.
Charlie

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

I upgraded from 10 to 11. For my purposes I see no real advantage of using 11 over 10.
Of course, there's probably more sneaky spy stuff enabling Microsoft to further track everything you do on it.

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

So you got me started on Microsoft, no stopping me now.

Godaddy switched email from godaddys simple email layout to Windows 365 windows email thingie. Now all I get is a white screen. I’m thinking I now pay $40 a month for the privilege.

Googled email white screen. Tons of people have the problem. Seemed there is a 20 step “ fix” Microsoft suggests to solve the problem. One of the issues seems to be I’m not using Windows 11.

The computer has a 1 tb hard drive divided into two partitions one for Windows and programs, the other for data. Data drive is almost empty.

The windows partition is full and I can’t upgrade. I have very few programs “ apps”, those I added I need. There are lots of things I don’t need most say Microsoft in front of them and Microsoft won’t let me remove them.

My home computer wants me to upgrade, it is one of the first 64 bit machines it must be 15 yo. It’s just hanging by a thread, I’m in my second hard drive with it. I get the blue screen of death with it every so often, so upgrading seems very risky.

I really long for the Windows XP days. It was stable and did everything I need. I have a wide format scanner mfg won’t support it anymore. Uses Windows 7 only. On my second computer with it. When the one it’s using dies, I probably won’t be able to find a Window 7 computer at a pawn shop again.

Fatal Error out of Microsoft for the moment.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

How about people like me that have zero real knowledge of computers other than point and click? I am not even sure what version I have and my computer is wanting to do some kind of auto update tonight. Now I read all this and am just wanting the darn thing to work for low end everyday use. I still don't know why they upgraded from windows 95. I was fine with that version.

I have some kind of weird server with a multi disc array of some type for my business. I pay an old friend 30 bucks a month to manage that darn thing and keep it running. It is going on 8 years old now and he keeps it working. I am just waiting for it to crap out.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

thanks all
i do miss XP it was pretty stable
i do still have it on a machine from 2005, i use it for FORSCAN to program my truck
i also have a win 10 machine that is not compatible with winn 11 and it is the portable laptop we use the most, it got a ssd drive last year when the disc failed.

i bought a new machine last sept while old one was in shop, it keeps asking to up date.
win 11 is supposed to have more security
which i question, because all my secure sites, bank, va,med , etc all now require two factor authentication, and i cant shut that off because 3 are government . so i login then wait for an email code...so i have to be home to access??
or request a text. pita
so i questioned win 11 security mandates etc.
i appreciate the feedback,
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

powerboatr wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:35 pm thanks all
i do miss XP it was pretty stable
i do still have it on a machine from 2005, i use it for FORSCAN to program my truck
i also have a win 10 machine that is not compatible with winn 11 and it is the portable laptop we use the most, it got a ssd drive last year when the disc failed.

i bought a new machine last sept while old one was in shop, it keeps asking to up date.
win 11 is supposed to have more security
which i question, because all my secure sites, bank, va,med , etc all now require two factor authentication, and i cant shut that off because 3 are government . so i login then wait for an email code...so i have to be home to access??
or request a text. pita
so i questioned win 11 security mandates etc.
i appreciate the feedback,
No problem. Glad I could help. :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

TxRVer wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:05 pm I just bought a new laptop with Windows 11. I don't like the new layout and don't see anything new that's useful.
Yesterday I returned the new laptop because the touchpad was glitchy. It was closing screens and deleting emails when I didn't want to. That doesn't have anything to do with Win 11, but this morning I found a leftover 2021 Dell on Amazon that has everything I wanted plus still has Win 10. It also has 16GB of Ram and a 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD. The price was $521.
Charlie

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

powerboatr wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:09 pm Looking for good bad or ugly on windows 11
my computer keeps asking me to update to windows 11
lots of new stuff in 11 is things i wont use, like gaming and tabs with programs open as i garner from the microsoft page
Been using it for more than a year... It's great!
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

TxRVer wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:12 am
TxRVer wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:05 pm I just bought a new laptop with Windows 11. I don't like the new layout and don't see anything new that's useful.
Yesterday I returned the new laptop because the touchpad was glitchy. It was closing screens and deleting emails when I didn't want to. That doesn't have anything to do with Win 11, but this morning I found a leftover 2021 Dell on Amazon that has everything I wanted plus still has Win 10. It also has 16GB of Ram and a 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD. The price was $521.
Wow!!

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Happy with Windows 7 here....
-Ruark

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

philip964 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:26 pm So you got me started on Microsoft, no stopping me now.

Godaddy switched email from godaddys simple email layout to Windows 365 windows email thingie. Now all I get is a white screen. I’m thinking I now pay $40 a month for the privilege.

Googled email white screen. Tons of people have the problem. Seemed there is a 20 step “ fix” Microsoft suggests to solve the problem. One of the issues seems to be I’m not using Windows 11.

The computer has a 1 tb hard drive divided into two partitions one for Windows and programs, the other for data. Data drive is almost empty.

The windows partition is full and I can’t upgrade. I have very few programs “ apps”, those I added I need. There are lots of things I don’t need most say Microsoft in front of them and Microsoft won’t let me remove them.

My home computer wants me to upgrade, it is one of the first 64 bit machines it must be 15 yo. It’s just hanging by a thread, I’m in my second hard drive with it. I get the blue screen of death with it every so often, so upgrading seems very risky.

I really long for the Windows XP days. It was stable and did everything I need. I have a wide format scanner mfg won’t support it anymore. Uses Windows 7 only. On my second computer with it. When the one it’s using dies, I probably won’t be able to find a Window 7 computer at a pawn shop again.

Fatal Error out of Microsoft for the moment.
You can repartition your hard drive to give some of the unused space from your data drive to the program drive. It's easy and the tools are built into Win 10.

Details here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

My spousal unit got a new computer earlier this year which came with Windows 11. I'm still using Win10 on a computer that's too old to upgrade. She's getting along fine with Win11. She's more of a power user than I am. As a retired accountant she does the taxes and maintains numerous Excel spreadsheets for tracking and forecasting expenses, Quicken, etc. We're still using Microsoft Office 2007, but really haven't had any problems with Win11 to date.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “Off-Topic”