Am I Neurotic?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Am I Neurotic?

Post by Dragonfighter »

It's been a hot minute since I've been on line. A lot of life pushing the computer world to the back of the line. I'm glad to be back amongst my people.

My question is this. Every time I put on my EDC I conduct a pipe/brass check. Now I know no one has touched it since I have but it's as much a habit as brushing my teeth. Is this neurotic or does it make sense?
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Am I Neurotic?

Post by der Teufel »

Yeah, you're neurotic. But if it makes you happy…
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dragonfighter »

der Teufel wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:20 am Yeah, you're neurotic. But if it makes you happy…
Thanks for the affirmation 😂. I think the one time I took the pistol out of the holster and it was frozen broke me.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Dragonfighter wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:04 am It's been a hot minute since I've been on line. A lot of life pushing the computer world to the back of the line. I'm glad to be back amongst my people.

My question is this. Every time I put on my EDC I conduct a pipe/brass check. Now I know no one has touched it since I have but it's as much a habit as brushing my teeth. Is this neurotic or does it make sense?
No, you are not neurotic. It is important that we always know the condition of our defensive firearm. As Tom Givens says, press checks are free. And, as Schrödinger taught us, your handgunn is both ready and not ready until you look. Now, should you find yourself checking every hour, on the hour, we may need to revisit the issue.
Last edited by oljames3 on Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

oljames3 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:47 am
Dragonfighter wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:04 am It's been a hot minute since I've been on line. A lot of life pushing the computer world to the back of the line. I'm glad to be back amongst my people.

No, you are not neurotic. It is important that we always know the condition of our defensive firearm. As Tom Givens says, press checks are free. And, as Schrödinger taught us, your handgunn is both ready and not ready until you look. Now, should you find yourself checking every hour, one the hour, we may need to revisit the issue.
:iagree:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Paladin wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:05 pm
oljames3 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:47 am No, you are not neurotic. It is important that we always know the condition of our defensive firearm. As Tom Givens says, press checks are free. And, as Schrödinger taught us, your handgunn is both ready and not ready until you look. Now, should you find yourself checking every hour, one the hour, we may need to revisit the issue.
:iagree:
A second big :iagree: sign. I think the press-check may be one of the most undertaught of the administrative handling techniques. Unfortunately, it can be rather complex because the ways of accomplishing it can vary quite a bit among different firearm platforms. For example, you have different options available for a service-size 1911 than you do a Ruger LCP.

I think you can go a tad overboard in both directions, but my general approach is that if I pick up a gun that I need to be either loaded or unloaded, I always do a physical check. I don't take one out of the safe and holster it without doing a press-check to make certain one's in the chamber any more than I'd start disassembling it without going to slide lock, visually inspecting, and sticking my finger into the chamber and breech. And I was always taught that part of the activity during a lull when performing an administrative reload was a press-check. You gotta be 100% that a cartridge was stripped out of the magazine properly and is ready to go; if you're under stress, you can't rely on how it "felt" when the slide went forward.

Maybe we an Alec Baldwin safety meme: "Only you can determine if it's a click or a bang."
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I don't think that's weird or unusual at all. My carry handgun has a safety that locks the slide. Before I put that handgun on my belt, I verify that safety will disengage. I also verify that a round is in the chamber, and give a slight tap to the back of the slide to ensure it is fully in battery, as well as ensuring the magazine is fully seated. I then re-engage the safety before holstering it, all done with the handgun pointed in a safe direction, of course.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

People who are crazy, do not question if they are crazy.

So you are fine.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

philip964 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:56 pm People who are crazy, do not question if they are crazy.

So you are fine.
:lol: :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”