End proposed to open Texas beaches

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

End proposed to open Texas beaches

Post by philip964 »

https://www.caller.com/story/opinion/[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... 959324007/

Open Texas beach would be strip of sand between low and high tide only.

Rest would be private property.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: End proposed to open Texas beaches

Post by powerboatr »

who is the dumb turkey proposing this bill? let me guess they are from austin
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

philip964 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:43 pm https://www.caller.com/story/opinion/[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... 959324007/

Open Texas beach would be strip of sand between low and high tide only.

Rest would be private property.
Unless the high tide line was clearly marked people would crawl all over the private property section and enforcement for trespass would be a nightmare.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Regarding the question of where the high tide line is..... according to the way SB484 is written, the public easement area goes from the "low tide line" to "the edge of the vegetation," i.e. the edge of the dunes.

Currently the General Land Office determines where the public beach easement is located and how it is accessed. This bill hands that authority to the private land owner above any given stretch of beach.

The law places the burden on the public to prove that the area of the beach in question is accessible, i.e. part of the public easement. So if your favorite beach area is fenced off, the burden is on you to take it to court and challenge the property owner. Yeah, like you're going to sue somebody over where to put your beach chair while you're on vacation, eh?

At first I assumed this was another idiot Democrat, but it turns out that the bill's author, Mayes Middleton, is a very wealthy Texas Republican, president of Middleton Oil company. He also owns several ranches and farming operations around Texas, and is consistently ranked as one of the top 10 most conservative members of the Texas House. During his most recent term in the House, Mayes served as the Chairman of the Texas House Freedom Caucus. Middleton owns a one million dollar home in Galveston about 3 blocks from the beach.

But the groundswell of opposition is starting to build rapidly; hopefully this bill won't survive.

One caveat, though: Middleton is a VERY VERY strong 2A supporter:

https://justfacts.votesmart.org/candida ... on/37/guns
Last edited by Ruark on Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Ruark

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

powerboatr wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:18 pm who is the dumb turkey proposing this bill? let me guess they are from austin
No, he is the representative from Galveston. This smells of high cronyism for developers.

We should all write our Senators to oppose SB 434
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

oohrah wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:17 am
powerboatr wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:18 pm who is the dumb turkey proposing this bill? let me guess they are from austin
No, he is the representative from Galveston. This smells of high cronyism for developers.

:iagree:

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

oohrah wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:17 am

Also, he’s one of those Republican creatures we depend upon to protect our rights. He, or least his friends and some major donors, probably own beach property and don’t feel like mingling with the unwashed masses.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

yep i am drafting a letter today
this is one crazy bill.
but my rep cole heffner if having problems with hmmm his close relations with hmm staff persons
i guess the large amount of kids he saddled his wife with is not attractive anymore

and bryan hughes is like sending mail to our senator ..john cornyn
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Off-Topic”