Paul Harrell announces cancer diagnosis

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Paul Harrell announces cancer diagnosis

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Grayling813
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grayling813 »

There's a push in the firearms community to pay tribute to Paul by increasing his YouTube subscriber count to over 1 million. If you aren't a subscriber, consider doing so.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rafe »

Grayling813 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:20 pm There's a push in the firearms community to pay tribute to Paul by increasing his YouTube subscriber count to over 1 million. If you aren't a subscriber, consider doing so.
Yeah; let's do that. I've been a subscriber for a while, but I know at least four people I can ask to subscribe.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I was looking up how to send Paul a message and notice he has hit one million subscribers. No reason to stop, though. I never looked at his stats and was amazed to see he has produced 407 videos. He has my prayers for the very best outcome.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Got a notice that Paul Harrell's channel had a new video. There is a a fundraiser T shirt sale link when you look up Paul's Youtubevideo by Roy (I think it's his brother) about interchangeability of 40 S&W in a 10mm firearm. I ordered a T-shirt for myself, but I am not soliciting anyone to do the same, just noting that it's there. I actually wish he had a direct money fundraiser, but I liked the shirt's design. Wishing him well and prayers for survival.

The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:03 pm Got a notice that Paul Harrell's channel had a new video. There is a a fundraiser T shirt sale link when you look up Paul's Youtubevideo by Roy (I think it's his brother) about interchangeability of 40 S&W in a 10mm firearm. I ordered a T-shirt for myself, but I am not soliciting anyone to do the same, just noting that it's there. I actually wish he had a direct money fundraiser, but I liked the shirt's design. Wishing him well and prayers for survival.
I watched the video earlier today, and other than mention of the t-shirt, Paul did not appear in the video at all. I wondered the last time we saw him, if that would be the last time ever. I just pray that he’s being kept comfortable, and that the fundraising really helps his family out.

Roy has some really big shoes to fill, and he’s not a natural as presenter like Paul is. I did appreciate though his attempt to mimic a Paul trademark where after the introduction to the topic, Paul would say something like "let’s see what the results say," and then turn his head to the side as if looking at something off camera. I do hope that Roy gets more comfortable with the role of presenter, and also that he gets help from the regular crew that worked with Paul…if for no other reason that the channel will likely start losing subscribers after Paul's death, right at the time when his family most needs the monetization that comes with high subscriber AND viewer numbers. It’d be cool if they can stay above a million subs.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Grayling813
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grayling813 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:00 am
puma guy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:03 pm Got a notice that Paul Harrell's channel had a new video. There is a a fundraiser T shirt sale link when you look up Paul's Youtubevideo by Roy (I think it's his brother) about interchangeability of 40 S&W in a 10mm firearm. I ordered a T-shirt for myself, but I am not soliciting anyone to do the same, just noting that it's there. I actually wish he had a direct money fundraiser, but I liked the shirt's design. Wishing him well and prayers for survival.
I watched the video earlier today, and other than mention of the t-shirt, Paul did not appear in the video at all. I wondered the last time we saw him, if that would be the last time ever. I just pray that he’s being kept comfortable, and that the fundraising really helps his family out.

Roy has some really big shoes to fill, and he’s not a natural as presenter like Paul is. I did appreciate though his attempt to mimic a Paul trademark where after the introduction to the topic, Paul would say something like "let’s see what the results say," and then turn his head to the side as if looking at something off camera. I do hope that Roy gets more comfortable with the role of presenter, and also that he gets help from the regular crew that worked with Paul…if for no other reason that the channel will likely start losing subscribers after Paul's death, right at the time when his family most needs the monetization that comes with high subscriber AND viewer numbers. It’d be cool if they can stay above a million subs.
Ray should be himself and not mimic Paul’s characteristics. I will continue to subscribe to the channel and hopefully Ray and his crew will continue to put out quality content like Paul did.

I think a cool fundraiser would be for the family to take all of Paul’s videos and offer them in DVD format.

The Annoyed Man

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:20 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:00 am

Ray should be himself and not mimic Paul’s characteristics. I will continue to subscribe to the channel and hopefully Ray and his crew will continue to put out quality content like Paul did.

I think a cool fundraiser would be for the family to take all of Paul’s videos and offer them in DVD format.
I agree that Ray should be himself. I just appreciated his homage to his brother with that turn of the head. But that said, Ray does need to loosen up in front of the camera…although I imagine right now this must be difficult for him to do it given the situation.

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

It's pretty clear to me from Paul Harrell's introduction of his brother Roy, not Ray, that his time is short for making content on his channel if at all since he also stated in a subsequent video it could be his last appearance. I hope that he has more time than he thinks, but I wasn't expecting to see Paul in the latest video nor any near term postings. Still wishing him the very best outcome for treatment and praying for him and his family and friends. I, too, appreciated the homage to Paul with the turn of the head.

The Annoyed Man

Tom Grieve interviews Paul Harrell

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:38 pm Tom Grieve interviews Paul Harrell

Definitely seeing the effects of his condition, though he carried through like the true trooper he is. His humility screamed out when asked the question about a legacy. I liked his answer about where he carried - I do too. He has my continued prayers for a miracle. I saw a previous video about Harrell from that YouTuber, but hadn;t seen this one. Thanks for sharing it.

The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:36 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:38 pm Tom Grieve interviews Paul Harrell

Definitely seeing the effects of his condition, though he carried through like the true trooper he is. His humility screamed out when asked the question about a legacy. I liked his answer about where he carried - I do too. He has my continued prayers for a miracle. I saw a previous video about Harrell from that YouTuber, but hadn;t seen this one. Thanks for sharing it.
You’re welcome! Also, Flannel Daddy (Garand Thumb) interviewed him at the same event and released that video today.

#TINVOWOOT

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

puma guy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:16 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:31 pm
puma guy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:06 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:47 pm He has lost SO much weight! It’s really sad.
I noticed that as well. If his pancreatic cancer is localized, which I pray it is, his chances for survival is 27% about 10% if it has spread. His comment about the last time we may see him on camera does not bode well. I agree with you, it is really sad.
It’s what took my dad's life. He lasted for 4-1/2 months after it was discovered. It was too late, and had already metastasized to his liver and his spine. It was a hard dying, but he took it in stride because he sincerely believed that he was supposed to have died with his men in Cushman’s Pocket in Iwo Jima, and he didn’t. So he had vowed to live every day after he came off the battlefield as if it was a gift, and he did. He told us, when he found out that he was terminally ill, that he had no regrets and was grateful for the 45 years he’d had after the war, and he accepted his fate with as much grace and stoicism as he could summon.

It looks to me like Paul Harrell is taking a page from the same book.
Sounds like your dad was truly one of the best of The Greatest Generation.
Truly the greatest generation. A hero.

I am saddened by anyone who gets this cancer. The pain, but the loss of appetite, ends any chance of “ let’s get some dinner” for caring family and friends. You realize how much of our interaction with friends and family revolves around a meal. Just another insult this horrible cancer throws at you.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I saw there's a newly FDA approved treatment medication for pancreatic cancer, but it's for those who haven't received previous treatment. I hope he qualifies. Also - My Paul Harrell T-shirt arrived. Having seen him talk about himself I'd say the it's somewhat tongue in cheek.

Return to “Off-Topic”