Paul Harrell announces cancer diagnosis

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Grayling813
Posts in topic: 3

Paul Harrell announces cancer diagnosis

Post by Grayling813 »

I’m not going to expound on what he said, go watch if you are interested. If so inclined lift he and his family up in prayer.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Paul Harrell announces cancer diagnosis

Post by Paladin »

Sorry to hear that. Pancreatic cancer is pretty serious. I'm glad Paul is taking it in stride and still has his sense of humor.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I watched it yesterday right after he uploaded it. We lost my dad to pancreatic cancer. He lasted 4-1/2 months from day of diagnosis. Back then it was a fairly quick death sentence. I understand that, caught early enough, doctors are now able to considerably prolong the patient's life if they have adequate insurance, etc. My old boss lasted for a couple of years after diagnosis. Actor Patrick Swayze comes to mind.

I've noticed for a long timed now that Harrell's appearance was increasingly gray and gaunt, and wondered if he was OK. He specifically asked people NOT to make a big deal about it in the comments, so I didn't. But I have prayed for him.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:16 pm I watched it yesterday right after he uploaded it. We lost my dad to pancreatic cancer. He lasted 4-1/2 months from day of diagnosis. Back then it was a fairly quick death sentence. I understand that, caught early enough, doctors are now able to considerably prolong the patient's life if they have adequate insurance, etc. My old boss lasted for a couple of years after diagnosis. Actor Patrick Swayze comes to mind.

I've noticed for a long timed now that Harrell's appearance was increasingly gray and gaunt, and wondered if he was OK. He specifically asked people NOT to make a big deal about it in the comments, so I didn't. But I have prayed for him.
Saw his video this over the weekend. He's a seem to be an extremely pragmatic guy and his video shows it. I don't know if he's a religious person or not, but I will be praying for him as well.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Anyone have any information on Harrell's status. I found an obituary but the date doesn't make sense as it's dated July 23, the same time frame as his announcement video, which mentions a stalker who may have written and posted it. I could find no information on the author of the obituary post. His last video was three weeks ago and he's on crutches due to suffering a broken hip a while back. Being a no nonsense pragmatic guy he may be going thru cancer treatment and doesn't want to share, which I can certainly understand. In any case he has my prayers. BTW I learned his given name is Benjamin Paul Harrell.

The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:25 am Anyone have any information on Harrell's status. I found an obituary but the date doesn't make sense as it's dated July 23, the same time frame as his announcement video, which mentions a stalker who may have written and posted it. I could find no information on the author of the obituary post. His last video was three weeks ago and he's on crutches due to suffering a broken hip a while back. Being a no nonsense pragmatic guy he may be going thru cancer treatment and doesn't want to share, which I can certainly understand. In any case he has my prayers. BTW I learned his given name is Benjamin Paul Harrell.
I tried search the innertoobs for any updates on his current condition, and found none. I did however find a fairly detailed account of the defensive shooting he was involved in, in which he shot and killed the other guy. I’ve never heard him give a full accounting of the incident, for understandable reasons, but if you’re curious, here it is: https://www.wallowa.com/news/harrell-fr ... cdc1a.html
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

Praying

The Annoyed Man

It’s not sounding good for Paul now. He just posted this 3 hours ago:

Hey everyone, we’re out on our range today, and what we’re talking about today is that the time I have left to continue making content in this format is becoming very short.
Well crap.

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:07 pm It’s not sounding good for Paul now. He just posted this 3 hours ago:

Hey everyone, we’re out on our range today, and what we’re talking about today is that the time I have left to continue making content in this format is becoming very short.
Well crap.
Typical Harrell- to the point no frills announcement with little explanation that would divulge personal detail. . I viewed your post about the shooting he was involved in.. I recall he did a video with details and remarks on the shooting he was involved in. It was prior to his no bill from the grand jury as I recall. I'm going to try to find it.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

New video from Paul Howell. He does the intro & sets the stage, then hands over the bulk of the demo to his crew. Paul comes back for the summary / closing remarks. In typical stoic fashion, he only briefly mentions his physical condition briefly, & sticks to the topic at hand with personal anecdotes.

The Annoyed Man

He has lost SO much weight! It’s really sad.

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:47 pm He has lost SO much weight! It’s really sad.
He is a lot younger than I thought too. It is very sad to see anyone this young or old go through the pain.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:47 pm He has lost SO much weight! It’s really sad.
I noticed that as well. If his pancreatic cancer is localized, which I pray it is, his chances for survival is 27% about 10% if it has spread. His comment about the last time we may see him on camera does not bode well. I agree with you, it is really sad.

The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:06 pm
I noticed that as well. If his pancreatic cancer is localized, which I pray it is, his chances for survival is 27% about 10% if it has spread. His comment about the last time we may see him on camera does not bode well. I agree with you, it is really sad.
It’s what took my dad's life. He lasted for 4-1/2 months after it was discovered. It was too late, and had already metastasized to his liver and his spine. It was a hard dying, but he took it in stride because he sincerely believed that he was supposed to have died with his men in Cushman’s Pocket in Iwo Jima, and he didn’t. So he had vowed to live every day after he came off the battlefield as if it was a gift, and he did. He told us, when he found out that he was terminally ill, that he had no regrets and was grateful for the 45 years he’d had after the war, and he accepted his fate with as much grace and stoicism as he could summon.

It looks to me like Paul Harrell is taking a page from the same book.

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:31 pm
puma guy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:06 pm
It’s what took my dad's life. He lasted for 4-1/2 months after it was discovered. It was too late, and had already metastasized to his liver and his spine. It was a hard dying, but he took it in stride because he sincerely believed that he was supposed to have died with his men in Cushman’s Pocket in Iwo Jima, and he didn’t. So he had vowed to live every day after he came off the battlefield as if it was a gift, and he did. He told us, when he found out that he was terminally ill, that he had no regrets and was grateful for the 45 years he’d had after the war, and he accepted his fate with as much grace and stoicism as he could summon.

It looks to me like Paul Harrell is taking a page from the same book.
Sounds like your dad was truly one of the best of The Greatest Generation.

Return to “Off-Topic”