TX executions. <1924, 254 counties. >1923, Huntsville only.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

TX executions. <1924, 254 counties. >1923, Huntsville only.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

[urlhttps://www.txexecutions.org/history.asp][/url]

The above link is the history of the Texas death penalty.

Until 1923, anyone sentenced to death in Texas was hung in the county in which he was convicted.

Legislation was passed in 1923, outlawing this situation.

Starting in 1924, all executions were required to take place in Huntsville, which I opine seems to be the "capital" of the Texas prison system.

****************************************************************************************************
https://dentoncountyhistoryandculture.w ... on-county/

The above link is the last public hanging in Denton County, although the murders took place in adjacent Cooke County.
The murders happened in 1894. The hanging took place in 1895. The officials didn't want it to be public, but several hundred people witnessed it.

*******************************************************************************************************

Let's define the definitions of "jail" and "prison".

Jail is for those awaiting trial, or sentenced to a short (unknown length) incarceration. It may be a city or county lockup.

Prison is for long term confinement and is run by the State of Texas, or private prison companies that contract with the state.

*******************************************************************************************************

Many Texas prisons are not air conditioned, but some prisoners have access to high tech tablets.

One female prisoner in a non AC prison said it is so hot in her cell, that her toothpaste turns to liquid.

Well, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX executions. <1924, 254 counties. >1923, Huntsville only.

Post by srothstein »

Minor technical correction for Texas jails. The maximum sentence that is served in a county jail is one year. I believe that municipal jails cannot hold convicted prisoners but I am not sure of that. I know that many people get sentenced to time served for municipal jail time while awaiting trial (most commonly in public intoxication cases where it is just time for them to sober up). But about 30 years ago, Texas created a state jail system that is not considered a prison like Huntsville. There are many of them around the state. At the same time, the legislature created a new grade of offense called a state jail felony, with a maximum sentence of two years.

Other states may have different definitions for prison versus jail and for who runs them.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “Off-Topic”