Where should I live?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dcphoto
Posts in topic: 2

Where should I live?

Post by dcphoto »

I have to choose a place to live within 250 miles of New Iberia, LA. I don't want to live in LA, I want to be in Texas, but not Houston. Where should I live?!?! I am not at all familiar with those areas of TX. Please help. Country would be nice, but I have to be able to rent, not ready to buy.

WarHawk-AVG

Re: Where should I live?

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Orange, Beaumont, Port Arthur, Winnie

Pretty much anything down the I-10 corridor right across the border is well within the 250 mile range
http://tinyurl.com/2uxf2u

P.S. Stay out of Harris county if you can help it!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

:iagree:

But, within your limit you can also find my home town, Crystal Beach, TX, just 214.4 miles from New Iberia, if you like the beach and don't prefer the "big city."

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?q1=Cr ... rf=0&mag=6

Jim

PS Jim Casey - how do I make the URL feature on this forum work? I just cannot figure it out. My dumb. :confused5

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

57Coastie wrote:PS Jim Casey - how do I make the URL feature on this forum work? I just cannot figure it out.
It's automatic. If you paste a URL into a message, it will be active.

You can also make hypertext as follows;

1. Type something like "click here."
2. Highlight what you typed by dragging the mouse over it.
3. Click the URL button above the editing box.
4. Type an equal sign after [url
5. Paste the URL there. The result looks like this:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.google.com]Google[/url]
- Jim

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

Tks Jim,

I don't even know the language. I should have said "hypertext" rather than "URL."

Jim

locknload

Post by locknload »

dcphoto wrote:I have to choose a place to live within 250 miles of New Iberia, LA. I don't want to live in LA, I want to be in Texas, but not Houston. Where should I live?!?! I am not at all familiar with those areas of TX. Please help. Country would be nice, but I have to be able to rent, not ready to buy.
I was born and raised in Texas and love my State. However, in recent years it has been invaded by "foreigners" from CA, the North East, Mexico, and terrorists from Muslim nations. Texas is no longer the wonderful, friendly, independent, self-sufficient place in which I grew up.

There are certain problems with living in Texas:

1. Coastal areas get hit with hurricanes and have high homeowner's and windstorm insurance rates.

2. Beaumont, Port Arthur, Winnie, Annuhuac, Baytown, etc., are too near the chemical plants and factories and the air is often smelly.

3. Property taxes over the whole state are out of sight and climbing, because we support the illegals and the education of their children through property taxes. Illegals are a huge burden and have created an enormous crime wave.

4. The best place to live in Texas is the Hill Country, out of your radius.

The Piney Woods are nice, and within the Northwest part of your radius. I'd look there.

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

On the assumption that it's a job-related requirement:

Do your employers specify only the 250-mile-radius, or is there also a requirement that you be able to report on station within a specified time limit after call-up? If the latter, the roads between you and New Iberia could be a factor. For example, someone has already mentioned the Piney Woods, but you could have to drive quite a ways out of the "as the crow flies" route to get to NI.

You might also consider the areas along the Texas-Louisiana border, within easy distance of the big reservoirs (if you like fishing, boating and related sports), but far enough away that the prices are lower (if that's possible).

I'd definitely recommend north of I-10, perhaps along either side of I-45 or US 59. There are some pretty nice small towns in those areas.

drw

Post by drw »

I'm a Texan who was raised in Dallas. As an adult, I explored the state "for fun" and lived a minimum of 1 year in:

McKinney (north of Dallas)
Kerrville (hill country, central/west Texas)
San Antonio
Bryan/College Station
Tyler/Jacksonville area

Without a doubt, the Tyler area is my favorite part of Texas, by far. It's worth a visit, in my opinion. Come up to Tyler via Highway 69 (coming through Jacksonville) and see if you don't absolutely fall in love with the area.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Dcphoto, you said you had to rent. It's relatively hard to find rental property in Southeast Texas.Hurricanes Rita and Katrina did a lot of damage there.

Have you considered a motor home?

Some more information might get the suggestions going. Do you have kids? Do you care about the schools? Do you like night life, attending pro sports, or cultural activities?

- Jim

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

locknload wrote:3. Property taxes over the whole state are out of sight and climbing, because we support the illegals and the education of their children through property taxes. Illegals are a huge burden and have created an enormous crime wave.
Everyone pays property taxes, even illegal immigrants who rent shacks.

You can't blame immigrants for our home-grown legislators' state mandates to schools, nor decisions by local school boards and voters, which have pushed education spending to more than $8,000 per student, per year.

Illegal immigrants don't vote for new football stadiums. They don't vote for bond issues to finance huge new administration buildings.

Property taxes can be blamed on Texans.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

KBCraig wrote:
locknload wrote:3. Property taxes over the whole state are out of sight and climbing, because we support the illegals and the education of their children through property taxes. Illegals are a huge burden and have created an enormous crime wave.
Everyone pays property taxes, even illegal immigrants who rent shacks.

You can't blame immigrants for our home-grown legislators' state mandates to schools, nor decisions by local school boards and voters, which have pushed education spending to more than $8,000 per student, per year.

Illegal immigrants don't vote for new football stadiums. They don't vote for bond issues to finance huge new administration buildings.

Property taxes can be blamed on Texans.
Actually NO...the illegals DON'T pay taxes..the person who owns the shack pays taxes

Their kids get special educations *for free* they get English training *for free* try getting a native texan kid bilingual education and see what happens

Oh and go to the emergency room and see what its really costing us

http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.html
http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServer?p ... entersf134
http://www.immigrationshumancost.org/

Pay closer attention while you and your country is being sold down the river
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Molon_labe wrote:Actually NO...the illegals DON'T pay taxes..the person who owns the shack pays taxes
By that line of thinking, you don't pay sales taxes. When's the last time you wrote a check to the state for sales tax (outside of buying a vehicle)? Does that mean Wal Mart pays sales tax, but you don't?

That's obviously ridiculous. The end consumer always pays the taxes, no matter who writes the check.

Their kids get special educations *for free* they get English training *for free* try getting a native texan kid bilingual education and see what happens
Foreign language is a required course in Texas schools. Any "native texan kid" who isn't bilingual by his senior year should be failed, not graduated. (And yes, I believe immigrant kids should be bilingual also.)

Oh and go to the emergency room and see what its really costing us
Pay closer attention while you and your country is being sold down the river
One thing at a time, please. The subject was property taxes, education, and illegal immigrants. My point stands: everyone who lives on fixed property pays property tax. Immigrants add to school crowding, but they're not to blame for property tax increases nearly as much as "native texan" voters, politicians, and bureaucrats.

I'm fully aware of the healthcare problems caused by illegal immigration. Once again, the cause of the problem is not the immigrants, but the politicians and bureaucrats (both in Austin and D.C.) who require that care be given regardless of ability to pay.

Topic author
dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

LarryH wrote:On the assumption that it's a job-related requirement:

Do your employers specify only the 250-mile-radius, or is there also a requirement that you be able to report on station within a specified time limit after call-up? If the latter, the roads between you and New Iberia could be a factor. For example, someone has already mentioned the Piney Woods, but you could have to drive quite a ways out of the "as the crow flies" route to get to NI.

You might also consider the areas along the Texas-Louisiana border, within easy distance of the big reservoirs (if you like fishing, boating and related sports), but far enough away that the prices are lower (if that's possible).

I'd definitely recommend north of I-10, perhaps along either side of I-45 or US 59. There are some pretty nice small towns in those areas.
It is a job request. If I live within 250 miles they pay for relocation. If I could afford to relocate I would live in NW austin, but I don't think that is an option right now.
seamusTX wrote:Dcphoto, you said you had to rent. It's relatively hard to find rental property in Southeast Texas.Hurricanes Rita and Katrina did a lot of damage there.

Have you considered a motor home?

Some more information might get the suggestions going. Do you have kids? Do you care about the schools? Do you like night life, attending pro sports, or cultural activities?

- Jim
I have considered this, but the wife quickly shot the idea of a mobile home down. No kids, don't do the night life bar hopping thing, no sports (well, TV only) and the only activities are various shooting sports.

The wife actually got offered her old job in Austin back, so we may just bite the financial bullet and move there. Thanks for all the suggestions, please keep 'em coming...

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

dcphoto wrote:I have considered this, but the wife quickly shot the idea of a mobile home down. ...
Having a spousal unit makes the calculaton more difficult.

- Jim

Return to “Off-Topic”