Question for you fishermen out there.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tactical_Texan_CHL
Posts in topic: 2

Question for you fishermen out there.

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I'm trying to get back into fishing. Until Monday, I hadn't fished since I was a kid. I had forgotten how much fun it is! I'm in the process of digging out all of our old rods and reels from the storage shed at my mom's and cleaning them all up. Some of them haven't been used in at least 15 years, the rest, probably 5 years. I'm sure they all need new line put on them. So what are some good choices of line? Do I need mono or braided? What are good brands to use? I've got a few that have big heavy reels on big heavy rods. I figured I'd put 20 lb line on those and use them for catfishing. Is that a good idea for those poles? I've got some lighter rods and reels also. What do you guys suggest on those? Most of them seem to be in fairly good shape. What do I need to do to clean them all up and get them ready to use? I'm planning a trip over Memorial weekend to do some fishing. Do they need to be oiled? If so, is a high quality gun oil ok to use on the gears? Any help is appreciated. Like I said. I haven't done this in years and I'm a bit rusty! Thanks in advance!
TacTex
NRA Life Member

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question for you fishermen out there.

Post by MoJo »

The reels probably need a thorough cleaning and oiling gun oil should be fine change your line line that old is going to have a set in it or be brittle. As far as line goes, a good brand of Monofilament is hard to beat - - - Stren, and Berkley are two top brands. Have you considered just buying some new gear? Often older reels will need parts that are difficult or impossible to find and rods will need to have new eyes and wrapping. Good luck fishing is one of the greatest outdoor pursuits there is! :thumbs2:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
Tactical_Texan_CHL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I am going to get some new gear also. But some of these are kinda sentimental. One is my grandfathers, and it was the last rod and reel he bought before he died, and there's one exactly like it that he bought my dad for a gift that Christmas. My brother got my grandad's, and I got my dad's. There's also the ugliest reel I've ever seen in my life that my dad had as long as I could remember. Mine and my brother's first poles are also here, so I thought I'd clean them up for the kids. There are a few that are newer and I don't really remember where they came from, but they're in good shape. The reel I used Monday with a friend was an open faced bait caster that was really nice. I may pick me up one of those too. I also need some tackle box help. I just want some basics. All the stuff I had when I was a kid is long gone. Any suggestions on a basic tackle box and some basic gear for it?
TacTex
NRA Life Member

eric
Posts in topic: 1

Post by eric »

One of my friends didn't for many years, when he picked up fishing again he loaded his reel gears with grease instead of oil. Needless to say they didn't work at all,lol.

Return to “Off-Topic”