Be careful when bicycling

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Txroadcyclist
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Be careful when bicycling

Post by Txroadcyclist »

Cycling can be very dangerous and the driver does not have to be drunk. I was once riding on a county road when a lady in a Tahoe took a sharp corner by crossing to the opposite side of the road, my side, and came within a few inches of taking me out. She then yelled obscenities at me as she drove off. I've known others who have had bottles, even a piece of angle iron, thrown at them. People have swerved towards us and honked to let us know they didn't like our presence on their road.
I know there are cyclists out there that could work at riding as far to the right as practicable and observe the traffic laws that apply to us as well as motorists but trying to teach a cyclist a lesson by swerving towards them will kill or maim us 95% of the time.
I pray for the families for those killed and injured and while I didn't like the strike comment, I do understand the concept of dark humor.

CHL/LEO

Post by CHL/LEO »

...along a highway near the U.S.-Mexico border...
Monterrey is not near the US/Mexican border - it's probably 150 miles away. That would be like saying San Antonio is near the US/Mexican border. Perhaps if you lived in Cabo San Lucas it could be considered "nearer" the border.
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

CHL/LEO wrote:
...along a highway near the U.S.-Mexico border...
Monterrey is not near the US/Mexican border - it's probably 150 miles away. That would be like saying San Antonio is near the US/Mexican border. Perhaps if you lived in Cabo San Lucas it could be considered "nearer" the border.
That had caught my attention but then I realize to my New England family members I reside along the Mexican border here in Galveston. There is no accounting for peoples perception of geography
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

Well I do have a grand scheme to fix the bicycle/car interaction problems, although it would do little good in Mexico.

The biggest problem with my scheme, believe it or not, is it would certainly engender steep opposition from "cycling activists". Much like gun activists, anti-gun activists, or any other kind of activist, cycling activists will not accept any kind of compromise that results in safety and they peddle the flawed concept that "driver education" is going to solve things.

Of course racing bicycles on open public roads is a recipe for disaster anyway.
non-conformist CHL holder

Return to “Off-Topic”