Info about gettin an FFL

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Levand16
Posts in topic: 2

Info about gettin an FFL

Post by Levand16 »

I've always been interested in firearms of all kinds and I thinking of started a small business out of my home selling firearms. I know what is required to get a FFL but I'm not sure if I want to go through all the work for something that will more than likely be more of a hobby than a business. If I did get it I wouldn't mind providing low cost transfers in my area. I just don't know how much depend there is for that. I currently run a small business and I know how much work is involved, but is there really that much more involved in a business with a FFL? Hopefully ya'll can help me make up my mind on rather or not I want to do that. Thanks in advance!

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Info about gettin an FFL

Post by Purplehood »

This is pure speculation, so I suggest you go look on the Internet for actual references...but I understood that one major stumbling block of becoming an FFL is having to maintain actual floorspace for a store. This helps to eliminate many people such as yourselves that may want to operate out of their home.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Purplehood wrote:This is pure speculation, so I suggest you go look on the Internet for actual references...but I understood that one major stumbling block of becoming an FFL is having to maintain actual floorspace for a store. This helps to eliminate many people such as yourselves that may want to operate out of their home.
This is wrong

No floorspace needed..you can use your home address as place of business but remember the ATF agent will have access 24/7 (if he wants) to your "place of business" if an investigation is launched

My buddy at work has one and says its really not that difficult...if you have a CHL its about as difficult (other than speaking to the chief of police and other things.

Oh fyi
ATF FORMS DISTRUBUTION CENTER
P. O. BOX 5950
Springfield, VA 22150
Phone 3: 703-455-7801
(Fax #: 703-455-8249)
http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You need to order form F 5310.12 (F7)
Last edited by WarHawk-AVG on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
Levand16

Post by Levand16 »

I couldn't find any info about floor space but I know that you have to the right zoning, which prevents someone from running it out of their home. My current business has a retail location but I cant find anything saying that I can or can't run it out of the same building (because both businesses would be their at the same time).

WarHawk-AVG - He didn't have any problems with the zoning? I read online that the proprety has to be zoned for firearm sales (no such zoning in San Antonio that I could find).

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Levand16 wrote:I couldn't find any info about floor space but I know that you have to the right zoning, which prevents someone from running it out of their home. My current business has a retail location but I cant find anything saying that I can or can't run it out of the same building (because both businesses would be their at the same time).

WarHawk-AVG - He didn't have any problems with the zoning? I read online that the proprety has to be zoned for firearm sales (no such zoning in San Antonio that I could find).
No he has his home registered...the ATF agent came in, spoke with him..showed him some paperwork, gave him some tips/pointers and other things, he inspected his gun safe (I guess its a good idea to have a "safe" place to store your firearms) and that was pretty much it.

he says
"some towns have business zone issues, may require a business permit. need to get with your city office to verify, Sealy didn't require that"
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

You can still sell outof your home as long as zoning laws allow, there are no BATF regs against this (unless it has changed). I purchased my last handgun through my neighbor that has been selling out of his home for years.

Return to “Off-Topic”