Pickup Truck Bed Overhang

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
casingpoint
Posts in topic: 2

Pickup Truck Bed Overhang

Post by casingpoint »

Anybody know how far over the tailgate a small jon boat can stick out before you get nailed?

XDgal
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pickup Truck Bed Overhang

Post by XDgal »

If any load projects out over 2 feet on the sides or four feet out the rear it must have a fed flag attached per DOT rules. I have hauled various things on the job and that's the rule I've always heard.
XDgal

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

casingpoint wrote:Anybody know how far over the tailgate a small jon boat can stick out before you get nailed?
547.382. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON PROJECTING LOADS. (a) A vehicle transporting a load that extends to the rear at least four feet beyond the bed or body of the vehicle shall display on the extreme end of the load at the times specified in Section 547.302(a):
(1) two red lamps visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the rear;
(2) two red reflectors that indicate the maximum width and are visible at nighttime at all distances from 100 to 600 feet from the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps; and
(3) two red lamps, one on each side, that indicate the maximum overhang and are visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the side.
(b) At all other times, a vehicle transporting a load that extends beyond the vehicle's sides or more than four feet beyond the vehicle's rear shall display red flags that:
(1) are at least 12 inches square;
(2) mark the extremities of the load; and
(3) are placed where a lamp is required by this section.

(FWIW, 547.302(a) basically defines the times when you need lights in general; nighttime and any time atmospheric or lighting conditions render a person or vehicle not clearly discernable from at least 1,000 feet.)

Topic author
casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

Wow. I just wanted to go fishing.

I take it from all of that there is no restriction on the length of overhang that would concern someone hauling a boat. The problem is a 14 foot boat in a shortbed Chevy with a tool box resulting in seven feet, four inches of overhang past the tailgate. I was afraid it would look worse than it does, but it's not all that bad.

Thanks for the replies.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

casingpoint wrote:I take it fom all of that there is no restriction on the length of overhang that would concern someone hauling a boat. The problem is a 14 foot boat in a shortbed Chevy with a tool box resulting in seven feet, four inches of overhang past the tailgate. I was afraid it would look worse than it does, but it's not all that bad.
If you're hauling it very often, you might want to go ahead and invest in a set of trailer lights and figure a good way to attach them to the far end of the boat. with a couple of connectors, you can make a cable to plug them in to your trailer light socket on the truck.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I often carry both a 16' and a 14.5' kayak (at the same time) in the bed of my short bed pickup with the tailgate down.

I have a device that fits into my 2" receiver hitch that goes under the dropped tailgate and projects out far enough to rest both kayaks on. It looks sort of like a football goalpost on the extended end.

I've been doing this for many years all over the Texas coast and have passed LEO's or every type with nary a second look from them.

Oh, yeah, I do attach a red bandanna to the end of the 16' footer.

patfoto

Post by patfoto »

Do you have a photo of your device? I just bought a kayak and have the same issue.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

patfoto,

Look at the Darby Truck Bed Extender on the internet.

You'll see exactly what I'm speaking of.

However, in addition I added two sets of saddles and for the life of me I don't recall their names, but they cost in the neighborhood of $65.00 each saddle. Before the saddles, I tie wrapped half a pool noodle on the extender rather than have the kayaks strapped down on the unforgiving hard surface.

Sorry to say, I've given all my boats, paddles and kayaking gear to my daughter and grand daughters. My shoulders are ruined for kayaking, arthritis...So no photos, but even if I still had the gear, I haven't the know how to post a photo. I'm lucky simply to know how to post here and do a little e-mailing, and that's the sketchy extent of internet knowledge.

It just came to me, the name of the saddles: Set-to-go kayak saddles - worth every penny.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Abraham wrote: Look at the Darby Truck Bed Extender on the internet.
:iagree: :iagree:

So many uses beyond carrying long cargo, and well worth it. I got mine on sale for $75. I believe retail is ~$100. Absolutely worth it.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

KLB

Post by KLB »

casingpoint wrote:Wow. I just wanted to go fishing.

I take it from all of that there is no restriction on the length of overhang that would concern someone hauling a boat. The problem is a 14 foot boat in a shortbed Chevy with a tool box resulting in seven feet, four inches of overhang past the tailgate. I was afraid it would look worse than it does, but it's not all that bad.

Thanks for the replies.
It's amazing what you can do when you have to. I had long considered it impossible to carry my 17-foot canoe in the six-foot bed of my Tacoma. But when my canoe rack failed 150 miles from home, I found a way to carry the canoe in the truck bed. It wasn't graceful, but I got the boat home.

A canoe rack failing at 70+MPH is a story in itself.

Return to “Off-Topic”