Share your recipes - cooking/food

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 11

Share your recipes - cooking/food

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I like to collect recipes and it looks like we have quite a few others around who like food or cooking or recipe collecting as well. Let's share some of our favorites! :clapping:

Please don't make any derogatory comments about others' food choices here, directly or passively. While I am intrigued by discussion of why we choose to eat the foods we do and how those foods are produced and what the history of cultural food choices are, I would really like this thread to be just a positive, supportive, sharing and caring looooove fest. (Said in my best Barry White voice.) I've seen many such threads when posted elsewhere get into heated debates about animal welfare, canine teeth, rGBH, the Garden of Eden, various political lobbies, the digestive system's processes, etc and I'd really like to just share some recipes back and forth without the debates if that's cool.

So whatcha got? Here's an easy one I made this week as a topping for a margherita pizza.

Easy Homemade Basil Pesto
5 sun-dried tomatoes (softened if bought dry, but I buy jarred)
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1-3 cloves garlic, crushed (to taste*)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil

Directions
Place basil, tomatoes, garlic, salt, and nuts in an electric food processor or blender. Puree.
Add olive oil slowly, blending slowly until the mixture is to your desired texture.
Mix into butter/margarine, cream cheese, etc if you'd like to use it as a spread.

*To eat the pesto straight, I'd recommend starting with 1 clove of garlic. To put in a spread, I'd recommend 2. For a pizza topping, I'd recommend 3 cloves.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Share your recipes - cooking/food

Post by Abraham »

I love Pesto on almost anything.

My favorite way to grill Pecan Smoked Garlic Chicken: Once charcoal briquets are properly burned down and ready for grilling duty - Add three briquet sized chunks of pecan wood on top of burning coals - use pecan wood, not oak, not hickory or mesquite, but pecan. Leave the top of the grill open until the pecan catches fire and then close lid, but vents open. The flames on the wood will quit, but will smoke like crazy. The unique, smoky flavor pecan adds to the chicken is outstanding.

Place split chicken halves (with garlic cloves pushed under skin, here, there and everywhere) bone side down on the grill and do NOT turn - leave them bone side down for the entirety of their time on the grill, approximately 1 hr. 45 min to 2 hrs or so depending on the size of your chicken.

The skin will slowly turn dark brown and will remain rubbery. It acts as insulation, but still allows the smoke and garlic to slowly seep into the moist and smokey flavored meat.

If the smoke volume drops significantly, take the lid off the grill for five or so minutes and this reinvigorate the pecan wood to relight - then place lid back on to kill flames and voila, the smoke will return.

StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

I am experimenting with 'Bottle Caps', which are jalapeno slices that are battered and fried. My next attempt will be a tempura batter to lighten things up a bit.

Yeah, they are called bottle caps because that is what they look like if done right. I am still working on the 'done right' part.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

elwood blooz

Post by elwood blooz »

Best sloppy joe ever

1 medium onion
1 pound ground beef
1 1/2 tablespoons of flour
2/3 cup ketchup
3/4 cup cola, ( I used Coke)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon dry mustard ( or 1 tablespoon prepared mustard)
salt & pepper to taste

Chop onion & brown with beef in skillet. Drain fat. Mix remaining ingredients well, then add to beef, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Serve on buns. This is the best next day after al the flavors have melded.

USA1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by USA1 »

My recipe...

1. Cut slit in film to vent.
2. Microwave on high power for ___ minutes.
3. Let stand for 1 minute.
4. Remove film and enjoy.(Caution, steam may cause injuries)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Topic author
Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I like that recipe, USA1! Goes great with apples, potatoes, etc, too if you remove the film steps! :cool:
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;

USA1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by USA1 »

Hoi Polloi wrote:I like that recipe, USA1! Goes great with apples, potatoes, etc, too if you remove the film steps! :cool:
Quick and easy is my motto! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, when time permits, there's nothing more enjoyable than spending time with my wife in the kitchen cooking as a team. Somehow we usually end up creating some very delicious and different dishes.

I'm looking forward to following this thread for new ideas. ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

tetralaw

Post by tetralaw »

One of the best breakfast sandwiches ever.
slice up some hot links lengthwise (in half, I use 3 halves for one sandwich)
cook'em along with some eggs, usually over medium.
throw a few slices of ham on the frying pan.
toast some bread, then mayo it (Miracle Whip if you're that kinda person)
throw it all together with a couple (yes, TWO) slices of whatever cheese you want.
I stack it all strategically so the cheese holds most of it together.

Enjoy it.

Tass

Post by Tass »

tetralaw wrote:One of the best breakfast sandwiches ever.
slice up some hot links lengthwise (in half, I use 3 halves for one sandwich)
cook'em along with some eggs, usually over medium.
throw a few slices of ham on the frying pan.
toast some bread, then mayo it (Miracle Whip if you're that kinda person)
throw it all together with a couple (yes, TWO) slices of whatever cheese you want.
I stack it all strategically so the cheese holds most of it together.

Enjoy it.
All my arteries just closed up! (you forgot the bacon!) :drool:
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up"

Topic author
Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I made a fantastic grilled cheese. I put shredded cheddar and mozzarella in the middle, a spoonful or so of spaghetti sauce inside the bread, and a slice of tomato on it. It was like a little pizza. Really good. I'll definitely be making it again.

I tried to make one today using my basil pesto mixed with as well and I substituted vegan cheese. Some combination made it not work out well. I had oil in the pan then bread, margarine/pesto inside, then sauce, then a slice of Rice cheddar, then a slice of tomato, then a thin sprinkle of Daiya mozzarella, then another slice of Rice cheddar, then a few leaves of basil, then margarine/pesto, then bread. I had the stove on medium but the cheese wasn't melting and the bread was toasting too quickly in comparison so I turned it down to medium-low to give it enough time to cook through without burning the bread. None of the cheese melted before I had to take it off to avoid burning, including the Daiya in the middle, which definitely should have melted.

Anyone who uses vegan cheese have any troubleshooting tips?

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

Y'all are making me so hungry!

I make a mean barbecued Totino's pizza.

BobCat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BobCat »

Breakfast Burritos

Get ahold of:
a little cookin' oil
at least 5 cloves of garlic - more is better
2 pretty big onions
2 green peppers
a carrot or two
about a tablespoon (good palm-full anyway) each of crushed red pepper, powdered cumin seed, and chili powder
1/3 jar of Goya Sofrito - they have it at Fiesta and some Krogers
about a pound of protein that can be cut into cubes - beef, chicken, pork, or even firm tofu if you want that
10" tortillas - the ones that are $2 for 10 are better than the "mission" brand that are $2.50 for 8, they have less salt
hot sauce - brand of your choice

Also
Bag of brown rice
Bag of black beans

Soak the beans overnight, then simmer them for a couple hours until they are done - instructions on bag. One 1-lb bag of beans is four times what you need for this. After the beans are cooked, freeze the other three quarters for future weeks.
Cook 3/4 cup brown rice with 1-1/2 cup water until it is done (water all gone)
Mix the beans and rice and put in a plastic container for the fridge

Put the oil in a 10" or 12" skillet - cast iron is best if you have one.
Put the crushed red pepper in the oil and wait for it to start sizzling - eyes might tear up, live with it
In the meantime, chop up the garlic and onions
Add the chopped garlic and onions to the crushed red pepper and hot oil and cook (stir with spatula) until the onions are pretty well done, no white any more.
Add the chili powder, cumin powder, and Sofrito; mix up
Add the protein cubes
Cut up the green peppers and throw them in
Slice the carrots into discs about 0.015"-0.020" thick and throw them in
Cover and cook until the green peppers start to wilt
Uncover and cook off as much water as you can
Put in a plastic container for the fridge

Preheat a tortilla on a piece of foil in a 300ºF oven
Put some of the rice and beans and some of the onion/protein into a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 1-1.5 minutes.
Once recipe lasts me a work week - that means about 1/5 of the rice+beans, and 1/5 of the onion+protein.
Put the stuff from the bowl into the tortilla, put on some hot sauce, wrap it up, and put it back in the oven (while you feed the cats or whatever). Take it out after a while, let it cool a minute, and it is ready to eat.

For a healthy breakfast add a K-bar (potassium stick, aka banana) and an apple. You will not be hungry for a while.

This has no salt except the small amount in the Sofrito and whatever is in the tortilla (the ones I get at Walmart are 350 mg each). The beans have protein, and the carbs in the rice are good fuel. You do not even taste that it is brown rice (which is awful, by itself) - use enough garlic and hot sauce.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Topic author
Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

That sounds really yummy, BobCat! I like how you cook enough in advance to not have to cook more for days. I am wanting to do that more often and your recipe is a great one to start with!

I didn't know what goya sofrito was so I looked it up. It looks yummy, too! I found a recipe to make it and the comments have really interesting ideas like freezing them in ice cube trays then using them as needed.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 12

Post by WildBill »

Wild Bill's Bean Chowder - This is a recipe I developed and perfected for my company's annual bean cook-off. Now that cold weather is coming, I will be making this again soon. Served with cornbread, it's a meal in itself.

1 lb dried Pink Beans (cranberry or pinto beans will work also)
1 smoked ham hock
1 can (14.5 oz) Hunt's Diced Tomatos
2 bay leaves
1 lb bacon, Blue Ribbon Thick Cut, coarsely chopped
1 lb ground beef [chuck or round]
2 cans (10 oz) Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup
1 cup dry red wine
3 fresh jalapenos, seeded and finely diced
4 cloves garlic, smashed and diced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, stems removed and finely chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1 white onion, coarsely chopped
1 red onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp Penzey's Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Penzey's White Peppercorns, freshly ground
1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's Seasoning
2 Tbl Penzey's Chili 2000 Seasoning
2 Tbl Penzey's Ancho Chili Powder
4 Tbl Tiger Sauce

Sort and soak 1 lb of pink beans in water overnight.
Drain and add 2 quarts [8 cups] fresh water to the beans in a Stock Pot.
Add bay leaves, ham hock, tomotoes and bring to a boil.
Turn down heat to simmer.

Meanwhile, brown 1/2 lb bacon in a frying pan until brown. Transfer the bacon into the beans and save the fat.
Saute the white onion, celery, garlic and jalapenos in the bacon fat for a few minutes until fragrant.
Season with a little garlic powder and fresh ground pepper. Add the mixture to the beans.

Cook the remaining 1/2 bacon in a frying pan until brown.
Transfer the cooked bacon to the beans and save the bacon fat.

Brown the ground beef in the bacon fat, season with Tony Chactere's, garlic powder and a little fresh ground pepper.
When the meat is cooked add the red wine and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the mixture to the beans.

Remove the ham hock and bay leaves.

Add the Tomato Soup and Tiger Sauce and continue to simmer. Skim away the scum and fat that rises to the surface.
Add the chopped/stemmed cilantro and simmer for several hours.
Add the chopped red onion about an hour before serving.

Beans are better if allowed to cool and store overnight in the refrigerator.
Re-heat the next day and serve. Water may be added if the beans need more liquid.

:tiphat:
Last edited by WildBill on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

lonewolf
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lonewolf »

Winter comfort food for kids:

1 to 1 1/2 pound stew meat, fat trimmed and browned in a skillet
2 cans green beans
2 cans diced tomatoes (I use the italian with basil and oregano)

Pour contents of cans into pot, bring to gentle boil, then simmer for 20 minutes or so. Add seasonings to taste. The simmering in the pot allows the tomato juice (slightly acidic) to really tenderize the meat.

Serve on bed of white rice.

It is really simple, and easy to adjust the portions for more or less people. For my three teenagers, father, wife and myself I use three each, and more meat.

Happy, warming, simple meal that smells and tastes great!

Return to “Off-Topic”