Veteran cuts down Mexican flag

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Veteran cuts down Mexican flag

Post by A-R »

:clapping:

:patriot:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube][/youtube]

jocat54
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Veteran cuts down Mexican flag

Post by jocat54 »

My kind of guy......would like to have been with him.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

daniel2002p

Post by daniel2002p »

jocat54 wrote:My kind of guy......would like to have been with him.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

--Daniel
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
1)Treat firearms as if they are loaded. 2)Point the muzzle away from non-targets.
3)Keep fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot. 4)Be sure of your target and backstop.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Love it!

Too bad that would have been an illegal knife in Texas. Shameful, actually.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Dirthawking
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dirthawking »

The best part was they tried to charge him with destruction of property. This was five years ago.
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

Bladed
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Bladed »

Contrary to the claim made in this (five-year-old) news story, there is nothing illegal* about flying the Mexican flag above the U.S. flag. However, as Wendy Davis's supporters recently demonstrated at the Texas Capitol, the best recourse when you disagree with the lawful action of another is to take the law into your own hands and, irrespective of any code or statute your action might violate, force compliance with your personal views.

*Texas v. Johnson (1989); United States v. Eichman (1990)

EDITED TO ADD: Does anyone else see the irony of this video getting a "clapping" smiley from someone whose sig line reads, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it"?

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

Actually it is wrong/illegal to fly any national flag above any other national flag on the same pole. All flags must be of equal height on their own pole. Any time it is okay is if you are flying the US flag with a state flag. Then the state flag goes below the US flag.
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

Medic624

Post by Medic624 »

Bladed wrote:Contrary to the claim made in this (five-year-old) news story, there is nothing illegal* about flying the Mexican flag above the U.S. flag. However, as Wendy Davis's supporters recently demonstrated at the Texas Capitol, the best recourse when you disagree with the lawful action of another is to take the law into your own hands and, irrespective of any code or statute your action might violate, force compliance with your personal views.

EDITED TO ADD: Does anyone else see the irony of this video getting a "clapping" smiley from someone whose sig line reads, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it"?

United States Code Section 7, Title Four, which states,
(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.

:txflag: :patriot:
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

Bladed wrote:Contrary to the claim made in this (five-year-old) news story, there is nothing illegal* about flying the Mexican flag above the U.S. flag. However, as Wendy Davis's supporters recently demonstrated at the Texas Capitol, the best recourse when you disagree with the lawful action of another is to take the law into your own hands and, irrespective of any code or statute your action might violate, force compliance with your personal views.

I was applauding the sentiment, not necessarily the action. Certainly there are more civilized ways to resolve the issue.

But I do agree with others that flying another nation's flag above the US flag is a violation of flag etiquette and - I believe - the US Flag Code (though I'd have to look that up to be certain).

As for free speech, that's a valid point, but everyone has their limits. For instance, I do not defend Westboro Baptist Church's "right" to their hate speech. Nor do I defend flying another nation's flag over our flag on our soil - that's dangerous close to going beyond "free speech" and into a defacto declaration of war (understanding the absurdity of such things when you push an argument past the edge of the envelope).

croc870

Post by croc870 »

I think what bladed is saying is that although the flag code has the language, the Supreme Court has said that such a law is unconstitutional when the violation is a form of expression, and thus it is not illegal.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

croc870 wrote:I think what bladed is saying is that although the flag code has the language, the Supreme Court has said that such a law is unconstitutional when the violation is a form of expression, and thus it is not illegal.
Per the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Flag Code is not enforceable (and would be unconstitutional) as a law; it is simply a codification of appropriate (but not mandated) etiquette relating to the American flag. From a legal standpoint, flying the Mexican flag above the U.S. flag is on par with neglecting to say "excuse me" after you belch (rude but not illegal).

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

Other things the U.S. Flag Code prohibits:

http://www.ironhorsehelmets.com/dot-cap ... 7AodnHoAcg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://static2.businessinsider.com/imag ... _large.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... CoQjCA.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://marylouise22.files.wordpress.com ... .jpg?w=470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rhinoden.com/wp-content/uplo ... 03x400.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content ... 433898.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

Good points. But SCOTUS also said Westboro's "rudeness" was Constitutional.

I guess I need to amend/qualify my signature line.

fickman

Post by fickman »

I wonder if they were trying to make a statement or unfortunately ignorant about flag codes and etiquette. I can see a chance that they thought it'd be nice to fly both flags and were bewildered / confused that it caused a stir.

I'd like to see a chance to educate them first. If they were doing it defiantly. . . well, I respect the vet's passion and action.
Native Texian

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

The guy that picked up his flag and took it in the store seemed kind of dumb founded, as in maybe he needed to be educated on the matter. That should be first on the list. And if it turns out to be a showing of defiance, then it's time for some butt kicking. Legal or ill-legal some things don't fly with most of us vets.
Larry D. Price

Return to “Off-Topic”