Doing the Speed Limit and Being Abused For It!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Doing the Speed Limit and Being Abused For It!

Post by Abraham »

My wife and I were on a short trip recently and I was doing the highway speed limit, plus 2/3 miles and hour over. I love cruise control.

A vehicle pulling a trailer with a motorcycle on it passed me. The vehicle had a moon roof allowing the driver to stick his entire arm up past his elbow to give me the old one finger salute. He put a lot of English into his endeavor. He really worked it!

My wife looked at me and laughed. I too was amused, but wondered about those who insist on everyone else speed well over the limit for their benefit. The stretch of road we were on is one where LEO's frequently wait by the roadside for speeders, so I'm especially certain to drive close to the limit.

My question and I hope some LEO's here will advise: In the above scenario is there something else I should do, like go 80 mph to satisfy others? Yes, I'm being facetious...and thanks.

texanjoker

Re: Doing the Speed Limit and Being Abused For It!

Post by texanjoker »

If there are multiple lanes dont forget the left is usually for passing. Speeding wouldnt be an excuse. I just did the trip back to CA and people like you describe drove me nuts. I did see one a few minutes later in New Mexico getting a coupon......made me LOL.

jbarn
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jbarn »

Abraham wrote:My wife and I were on a short trip recently and I was doing the highway speed limit, plus 2/3 miles and hour over. I love cruise control.

A vehicle pulling a trailer with a motorcycle on it passed me. The vehicle had a moon roof allowing the driver to stick his entire arm up past his elbow to give me the old one finger salute. He put a lot of English into his endeavor. He really worked it!

My wife looked at me and laughed. I too was amused, but wondered about those who insist on everyone else speed well over the limit for their benefit. The stretch of road we were on is one where LEO's frequently wait by the roadside for speeders, so I'm especially certain to drive close to the limit.

My question and I hope some LEO's here will advise: In the above scenario is there something else I should do, like go 80 mph to satisfy others? Yes, I'm being facetious...and thanks.

Can you better describe the road? Was it a four lane (two in each direction) or two lane? Did the other vehicle have to cross over to the left side of the road to pass you? If so, was there an improved shoulder you could have pulled onto to allow the other vehicle to pass?
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

Just about every time I drive through Houston, doing the speed limit seems downright dangerous with all the other cars whizzing by.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

TLE2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TLE2 »

On the multilanes and especially the imterstates a "Texas 10" is not uncommon (limit plus 10 mph). 5 mph over seems to be almost required.

In Houston, on I45, in the 60 mph zones if you're not going 75, you will get run over.

If your driving the speed limit I don't get mad, I just go around.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

It's a two lane and yes there's a paved shoulder, but I was advised in times past that driving on it is illegal.

These folks must have been moving immensely fast as I frequently check my rear view mirror and hadn't seen them until they passed.

While the shoulder on this highway is paved it's also narrow and not one I'd feel safe to drive onto at highway speed. To be sure, if the highway was a four lane, I'd be happy to drive in the right hand lane and let the speeders have the left with my blessing.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

jbarn wrote:
Abraham wrote:My wife and I were on a short trip recently and I was doing the highway speed limit, plus 2/3 miles and hour over. I love cruise control.

Can you better describe the road? Was it a four lane (two in each direction) or two lane? Did the other vehicle have to cross over to the left side of the road to pass you? If so, was there an improved shoulder you could have pulled onto to allow the other vehicle to pass?
Texas is the only state I know of that condones passing on the right and/or driving on the shoulder. Are there others? BTW, we usually drive about 5 mph below the posted speed limit and may be towing our RV. Be sure and wave.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

In Texas on a 2-lane road with a wide shoulder you are legally allowed to pull over to the right to allow faster moving traffic to pass if it is safe to do so.
§ 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator
may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled
portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done
safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled
lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped
on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing
to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official
traffic-control device; or
(7) to avoid a collision.
(b) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the
left of the main traveled portion of a divided or limited-access or
controlled-access highway if that operation may be done safely, but
only:
(1) to slow or stop when the vehicle is disabled and
traffic or other circumstances prohibit the safe movement of the
vehicle to the shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of
the roadway;
(2) as permitted or required by an official
traffic-control device; or
(3) to avoid a collision.
(c) A limitation in this section on driving on an improved
shoulder does not apply to:
(1) an authorized emergency vehicle responding to a
call;
(2) a police patrol; or
(3) a bicycle.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Also, if a car is stopped in the main lane to turn left and you can safely pass on the right shoulder it is legal to do so.
§ 545.057. PASSING TO THE RIGHT. (a) An operator may pass
to the right of another vehicle only if conditions permit safely
passing to the right and:
(1) the vehicle being passed is making or about to make
a left turn; and
(2) the operator is:
(A) on a highway having unobstructed pavement not
occupied by parked vehicles and sufficient width for two or more
lines of moving vehicles in each direction; or
(B) on a one-way street or on a roadway having
traffic restricted to one direction of movement and the roadway is
free from obstructions and wide enough for two or more lines of
moving vehicles.
(b) An operator may not pass to the right by leaving the main
traveled portion of a roadway except as provided by Section
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gemini
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gemini »

I was born & raised in Texas. I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen
slower vehicles on a two lane road move right, onto a paved shoulder, to allow
faster traffic to pass. And get this; the faster traffic waves "thank you" and the
slower traffic waves back. It is common courtesy. At least it used to be.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Keith B,

Without I hope, not sounding argumentative, but trying to get a better grip on understanding: If I'm doing the speed limit, plus 2/3 miles an hour over, I'm obligated to get out of the way of speeders?

Somehow, this scenario sounds bizarre.

I understand, I will at times inherit the wrath of those not content to simply pass me when it's safe. BTW, this stretch of road has plenty of long straight sections allowing speeders to safely pass, but they want me to go 80 or more so they don't have to.

Plus, as I stated earlier, while the shoulder is paved, it's narrow and I'm neither inclined to pull over on it at highway speed nor willing to speed up to satisfy the "go like heck crowd".

It's odd, that someone like me trying to remain at the posted speed limit +,is somehow obligated to accommodate speeders...?

What am I not understanding?

The law abiding have to adapt to the non-law abiding, because road bullies should be knuckled under to, otherwise I could encounter some bad ju ju?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Abraham wrote:Keith B,

Without I hope, not sounding argumentative, but trying to get a better grip on understanding: If I'm doing the speed limit, plus 2/3 miles an hour over, I'm obligated to get out of the way of speeders?
No, you are not obligated or required to move over if doing the speed limit on a 2-lane road. However, if you are moving much slower, then yes you should move over, if you can do so safely, and let faster traffic pass. On 4-lanes plus, you should always stay to the right if faster traffic is coming behind you, speed limit or not. Hence the 'Slower traffic keep right' signs.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

gemini wrote:I was born & raised in Texas. I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen
slower vehicles on a two lane road move right, onto a paved shoulder, to allow
faster traffic to pass. And get this; the faster traffic waves "thank you" and the
slower traffic waves back. It is common courtesy. At least it used to be.
It still happens that way. I had to instruct my husband (who moved here in his teens) in the practice shortly after we got married. I wasn't born here but moved here real young and my dad liked to live on what I referred to as the edge of nowhere -- close enough to the city that he could commute in for his work (tech stuff) but far enough out to have some breathing room. So I learned to drive on two-lane roads, and I still prefer them.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Abraham wrote:It's a two lane and yes there's a paved shoulder, but I was advised in times past that driving on it is illegal.

These folks must have been moving immensely fast as I frequently check my rear view mirror and hadn't seen them until they passed.

While the shoulder on this highway is paved it's also narrow and not one I'd feel safe to drive onto at highway speed. To be sure, if the highway was a four lane, I'd be happy to drive in the right hand lane and let the speeders have the left with my blessing.
When I am faced with that I signal right, pull as far right as I can and allow people to pass without crossing all of the way over to the left side. It used to be very common before all of the multi-laned roads.

I am not justifying the flipper, just offering an alternative for you.
Texas CHL Instructor

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Keith B wrote:
Abraham wrote:Keith B,

No, you are not obligated or required to move over if doing the speed limit on a 2-lane road. However, if you are moving much slower, then yes you should move over, if you can do so safely, and let faster traffic pass. On 4-lanes plus, you should always stay to the right if faster traffic is coming behind you, speed limit or not. Hence the 'Slower traffic keep right' signs.

:iagree:

One is not obligated, other than by the demands of safe and courteous driving. Who wants these impatient drivers behind you anyway. ;-)
Texas CHL Instructor

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Keith B,

Thanks, that's what I thought and do.

jbarn,

Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Off-Topic”