wheelchair for a large dog - or any help / advice

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
PBR

Re: wheelchair for a large dog - or any help / advice

Postby PBR » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:12 am

Well it's done and was the hardest thing I have pretty much ever done. It was so hard and tough to do, I cried like a baby the whole time and as soon as they put the needle in I almost started screaming NO!!!! I feel like she almost knew what was happening or going on which made it so much harder. I feel like I gave up on her.

edited: Also another tough part coming up in few hours when Augie gets here and have to tell her
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

SewTexas

Postby SewTexas » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:45 am

I'm so sorry. You didn't give up on her, ever.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jason812

Postby jason812 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:59 am

It doesn't seem like it now, but that's the kindest thing you ever did for her. When we had to make that decision for my wife's chihuahua, I couldn't believe how hard it was to do. She had that little mutt since she was 19 and I bought him a lotto ticket and cigar when he turned 18. I was planning on getting him a beer when he turned 21 but just didn't make it. I took it harder than my wife did.

We got him cremated and I plan on doing that with all my dogs now. When I croak, they can just mix their ashes and mine together in the bottle of whiskey and drop us all in the ocean. As my 4 year old says, "that sounds like a good plan."

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:04 pm

I'm so sorry both of you had to go through this. I've lost too many dogs over the years and taking them for that last drive is heartbreaking. Though some may disagree, my advice is get another dog soon. If you are so inclined, make it a rescue dog. There are so many that need a good home.

Chas.

krieghoff

Postby krieghoff » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:16 pm

PBR wrote:Well it's done and was the hardest thing I have pretty much ever done. It was so hard and tough to do, I cried like a baby the whole time and as soon as they put the needle in I almost started screaming NO!!!! I feel like she almost knew what was happening or going on which made it so much harder. I feel like I gave up on her.

edited: Also another tough part coming up in few hours when Augie gets here and have to tell her

My heart goes out to you sir. It's really tough. I am afraid I will be facing this myself here in a few more months with my 13 year old Cocker Spaniel. You will get through this and will have the good memories to look back on.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

E.Marquez

Postby E.Marquez » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:31 pm

There is nothing I can say that makes it better.....
Like you and so many others, that last day, I have lived though it, as have our kids...It is never not sad, even when it was for the better.

Like you are likely thinking right now, I have uttered the words, not again, not another one...But today we have four and I could not be more happy..

If the day comes you wish for another furry companion (I did not nor would ever say replacement), if that day comes please feel free to reach out to me. I work with lost, found and rescue dogs every day... Recently added rescuing "banned" breeds from our local shelter that by policy can only not destroy them if the animal is pulled by a certified 301c rescue.. Have been able to save two so far this way..

Point is, if you come to the day you want another buddy, I'd happily offer to assist. Be it one of our group dogs available to adopt, putting you in touch with one of the many rescues I've come to know. Working with an Animal Control facility that has a pup your interested in, but they can not by statute or policy adopt out because it is a banned breed in their locality.

Respectful

Erik Marquez
No words or opinions I post in this forum are intended to be offensive to any member here.

Topic author
PBR

Postby PBR » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks for all the words everyone, I still have two dogs here left so not ready for anything or anyone new. Not sure if will get another when the time comes after these two, also doubt I will outlive these two. I never had any children so my dogs are and always were my children. I have lost many many dogs over my life but she is the first one I personally took or had to get put down myself. I must say I do not want to do it again, it was tough watching the needles go in and her slowly go out. They checked and said she had passed, I stayed there spending a few more mins with her and it was like she was fighting to come back. Slow gasping and twitching I started losing it but they said it was just nerves I felt she was fighting and telling me not to leave, but I couldn't stand anymore.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

WTR

Postby WTR » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:45 pm

It takes a great deal of love to relieve a friend of their pain and to put our feelings of not wanting to part with them aside. She will always be with you.

SRO1911

Postby SRO1911 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Pretty sure I have shared these before, but again...
These are framed on my desk, along with pictures of my people kids and fur kids.
Family is family, species doesn't mean much.

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them. After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother of pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up." The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going. After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road which led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree, reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?"

"Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there". The man pointed to a place thatcouldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.

"There should be a bowl by the pump."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree waiting for them.

"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is heaven," was the answer.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was heaven, too."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold streets and pearly gates? Nope! That's hell."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No. I can see how you might think so, but we're just happy that they screen out the folks who'll leave their best friends behind".

Author Unknown

---- and this one.

"Gentlemen of the Jury: The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when
he needs it the most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man may have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

"Gentlemen of the Jury,a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."
Sen. George Vest, 1870
When any govt, or church,says This you can't read, are forbidden to know, the result is tyranny and oppression. Little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked; no force can control a free man, not the rack, bombs, not anything, you can't conquer a free man, at most you can kill him.

RPBrown

Postby RPBrown » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:48 am

There are no words spoken that can be of comfort now, but I am so sorry for your loss. I can only say that he is in a better place and running free. He will be at Rainbow Bridge waiting your arrival.

We have a picture done of our pets when we adopt one. These pictures go on a wall in our living room along with the rest of the family pictures as they become our family also. When the time comes for that fateful day, the pictures of the lost gets moved to another wall along with the remains after cremation. Some may think we are strange to do this but again, they are our family and this is how we choose to remember them. Just last night, one of our furr babies did something that reminded us of one that had passed. We looked upon her picture and remembered how she had done the same thing.
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Off-Topic”