Do You Give Cash or Gifts?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Do You Give Cash or Gifts?

Post by Abraham »

Granddaughters,

One 18, the other 14. I give em cash for Christmas. Have for the past few years.

And no, I won't say how much, but it's substantial.

The thing is, their parents, after 24 years of marriage are recently separated, so I think they need the money. Plus, they come over (every 2 weeks) to the homestead and work (I've some small amount of acreage, but it needs tending, plus the house...) and I pay the them well...

So, what do you do for your loved little ones (alright 18 isn't little, but she's still a student without another job, plus she's my granddaughter) and her lot in life a bit unsettled (along with her younger sister) at this time.

Better to give them gifts or gelt?

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do You Give Cash or Gifts?

Post by suthdj »

If they are good trust worthly kids cash otherwise a gifts to cover thier needs and/or wants.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Roth IRA?

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/inv ... todial_ira" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did this for my oldest nephew.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

Cash is a great gift if the recipient is sufficiently mature, which also depends on the size of the gift.
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I don't have kids so I can't answer on that aspect but I can say that as I grew older I much preferred cash because that eliminated the risk of getting a sweater and some melted chocolates from Grandma :lol::
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Neither.

Sage advice.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Christmas ain't a time to indulge in a sense of entitlement. That's what I tell my four kids. Momma and I try to get things they like. As for the grandparents, I tell my kids to zip it. Take what you are given and love it because life is short, grandma and grandpa won't be around forever. I won't let anyone give them cash. cash is by gained by working.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Texas_Blaze wrote:Christmas ain't a time to indulge in a sense of entitlement. That's what I tell my four kids. Momma and I try to get things they like. As for the grandparents, I tell my kids to zip it. Take what you are given and love it because life is short, grandma and grandpa won't be around forever. I won't let anyone give them cash. cash is by gained by working.
Sage advice.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Texas_Blaze wrote:Christmas ain't a time to indulge in a sense of entitlement. That's what I tell my four kids. Momma and I try to get things they like. As for the grandparents, I tell my kids to zip it. Take what you are given and love it because life is short, grandma and grandpa won't be around forever. I won't let anyone give them cash. cash is by gained by working.
:iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Children and adults "having a sense of entitlement" and not appreciating gifts is bad form. That's true but it has nothing to do with the original question.

I think there's nothing intrinsically wrong with cash as a gift if that's what Abraham wants to give his granddaughters. Whether cash is an appropriate gift in a specific situation depends on the gift giver, the recipient, the context, the culture, and many other factors. In this case, I know a lot less about his personal business than some of you seem to.
I do know my Bible, sir.

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

No kids but now that the nieces and nephew are all teenagers (13 - 19) they get cash or gift cards to somewhere they like (Amazon or Barnes & Noble). This works well for us since two of the nieces have only been in the family for a few years (and out-of-state) so buying gifts would be a W-A-G. I always get told what was purchased and normally end up discussing the books, music, or whatever was bought.

If they are good kids, and you trust them, why not?

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

:roll:
Saffron wrote:... In this case, I know a lot less about his personal business than some of you seem to...
:roll:

I could careless who gives what & when...

I expressed my view. I doubt that Abraham is loosing sleep about my opinion, which was not even direct at anyone in particular. If he has joy in giving cash and the parents don't mind, all is well.

Tell u what, I won't be mad if u give cash either.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

When each of my Grand Kids reach the age of 14(currently 2, four to go)I've opened a College Fun Fund savings account for them. The Fun Fund is never to be used for school related expenses, rather the things that make college fun, a trip to the city, taking a friend out for dinner at restaurant that doesn't have golden arches, etc. I make deposits on their birthday and Christmas. Nana does fashion stuff(clothes, shoes, accessories)for all of them.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

To me it's real simple...ask them what they want. My daughter (10) still enjoys opening presents and is into the Monster High dolls, both my older step-kids now 22 and 25, started wanting either cash or gift cards around 13 or 14.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Return to “Off-Topic”