Movie theater scenario, any tips?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Texas_Blaze
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Movie theater scenario, any tips?

Post by Texas_Blaze »

I don't go to movies. Can't even remember the last time I did nor remember the last one rented, used to be video tapes. Personally, I hate everything about Hollywood cause they hate everything about me.

So to answer the tip, don't go.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Javier730 »

I would suggest sitting closer to the top. That would give you more space from the shooter if he walked in. You have a clear view of everyone I'm the room if they stand up. Being on top also decreases your chances of being trampled by people running to the exits. Seperate yourself from your family if you have to engage the shooter and hope like heck the shooter is like most coward shooters and puts himself down. I would suggest that if you make it out of the theater, be very careful if you decide to make a run to your vehicle. There will probably be people driving very frantically. You want to avoid being run over. If you know the shooter is down keep an eye out for other possible shooters. If you do engage the shooter and take him down. Id suggest reholstering so you don't get mistaken as the shooter by police, security guards or other armed or even unarmed people. Be ready to draw again though. Having other armed people with you should also increase your odds. Escape as soon as possible if its ever an option.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

There has been a lot of scenarios including the shooter walking in and shooting, but my biggest fear would be a shooter going in, getting comfy, and then attacking from the rear. I believe in this latest shooting, the shooter attacked the others in his row first, in which case, if he were parallel to you at the top row, you're in bad shape. A theater is a bad place to be, period. :???:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:A theater is a bad place to be, period.
:iagree: anywhere you sit, the shooter may be in the same row. There is no telling where a shooter may be. He may be on the top row. In that case the bottom would be best and vice versa. Being near the exit may seem like a good idea, but what if thats where the shooter comes from? Avoiding movie theaters is the best option. If going there is something your gonna do, be aware of everyone coming in, out and getting up. Being armed and aware of your surroundings is probably the best advice I can give besides not going.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CHLLady »

Right2carry,
That wasn't my post.[/quote]

Apologies! Thank you Shootdont talk. ;-)

Great perspectives everyone. I think I have a good idea of what to do now. :tiphat:
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Right2Carry »

CHLLady wrote:Right2carry,
That wasn't my post.
Apologies! Thank you Shootdont talk. ;-)

Great perspectives everyone. I think I have a good idea of what to do now. :tiphat:[/quote]

No apologies necessary. I didn't want credit for shootdon'ttalks post.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I probably only see 2-3 movies in an entire year in a theater. That said, when I go, I tend to sit about midway up, and I always choose an end seat. I also keep a close watch on people as they enter. I have the sort of vague thought that being halfway up keeps me not too far from the exits, and being on the end gives me room to fire and maneuver. But honestly, I don't think about it from a tactical perspective much. I just like being on the end, and I like being halfway up.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I probably only see 2-3 movies in an entire year in a theater. That said, when I go, I tend to sit about midway up, and I always choose an end seat. I also keep a close watch on people as they enter. I have the sort of vague thought that being halfway up keeps me not too far from the exits, and being on the end gives me room to fire and maneuver. But honestly, I don't think about it from a tactical perspective much. I just like being on the end, and I like being halfway up.
:iagree: I don't go but maybe once or twice every other year. I will likely be going this week for my birthday with my wife, in which case I will likely be close to the isle midway on the right hand side. No spot is perfect, but I like being able to see everything, but the top row will make me cornered at the movie theater I will be going to. So I'll do my best to blend in with the sheep, all while having a decent egress lane. I don't suggest this to anybody, but this is what I will do.

I imagine a potential shooter in a crowd will avoid the center mass, as being surrounded and conquered is likely not on their agenda. I am always wary of those going to sit at the very top, as that would be the more ideal position for a bad guy not caring about egress. A bad guy wanting to get away would likely stick close to egress points, as to disappear and escape quickly.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

I think that most bad guys, who plan to escape, will position themselves near fire exits that go directly outside. If I'm armed, I tend to position myself in the upper corner, preferably first row inside the door and in the corner so that I have the wall to my back. If I'm not armed, I don't go.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

My daughter and I went to see Logan today and were sitting in the back row. It was a small theater where this back row would have been only a few rows behind the middle in some of the larger ones. This was a dollar theater. Anyway, about 30 minutes into the movie the fire exit opens from the outside about 15-20 yards to my right and slightly behind me. There is a large walkway area behind me where people come into the theater from the inside. It is where my daughter and I entered after getting our tickets.

My daughter was sitting on my right and my left hand reached up over her left shoulder and pulled her part way down to the floor and across my lap, while my right hand grabbed the grip of my sidearm. The guy walked straight through and out the regular entrance into the rest of the theater in 3-4 seconds and was out of my sight. He made no move to do anything else other than walk through that I could tell. I could make out his shape and see his arms, but no features or further identification.

When I went out to tell someone that worked there and ask them if that door was supposed to be able to be opened from outside I didn't see anyone that might have been the guy. They said that the door is not supposed to open from outside and asked what the guy looked like. I said, "Okay, well you need to check that door and fix it if it needs it and did you just seriously ask me what someone looked like in a dark theater?"

My daughter asked me later how I was going to be able to aim and hit anyone in a dark theater. She forgot that I have night sights and didn't know that my holster allows me to have my TLR-1 mounted. I assured her I could hit what I wanted in that situation.

But WOW! That was tense for a few moments.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

PackinPig

Post by PackinPig »

I may be "diggin up bones" being how old this post is. With that being said, I feel there is alot of good info to be absorbed from this post. My opinion is that an active shooter's motive is to rack up the highest body count as quickly as possible and gain attention to whatever his/her cause may be.

In saying this I feel that the most likely actions of a spontaneous active shooter would be to enter and aim for the "center mass" of the theater as that is where most people tend to flock for the best view and the spot to aim if your trying to get as many shots "on target" as possible.

Although I rarely follow this advice, I feel the best place to be sitting as a concealed carrier in an active shooter scenario would be near the bottom row on the side farthest from the entrance to the theater. This area allows the concealed carrier to have concealment (not cover) using the seats and ducking/crawling behind them to move in for an accurate shot. I also feel that if/when the shooter turns to aim at the "center mass" of the theater his back will be somewhat turned to the concealed carrier. However, as others have said, there is no "tactically perfect" seat in a movie theater. Even with my suggestion you still risk having your back turned to the shooter should he choose to aim for the bottom first.

Again, this is my opinion, and I am as guilty as the next person in saying that I tend to sit at the bottom of the top section so I can prop my feet up on the metal bars that often separate the upper section from the main walkway of the theater. As humans we sometimes sacrifice safety and security for comfort. This is a battle that, as concealed carriers we must win the majority of the time to be useful if the need for action should arise.

Of course, as well all know, how and where on your person you carry your weapon will also dictate how quickly your response to a threat will be. As for me and mine, appendix carry is the quickest response in a seated position. However, this doesn't work for everyone and carrying your handgun daily in whatever position is best for you is better than not carrying it at all because it's uncomfortable.

Here is some "food for thought" from the Aurora, Colorado shooting in which the shooter purchased a ticket to the movie, propped the exit door, outfitted himself with his gear, and then returned through the exit and opened fire.
Timeline (Taken from CNN):
July 7, 2012 - James Holmes purchases a ticket, through an online ticketing agent, for the July 19 midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at the Century Aurora 16 Multiplex Theater in Aurora, Colorado.
July 19, 2012 - Holmes attends the midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at the Century Aurora 16 Multiplex Theater in Aurora, Colorado. Holmes enters theater #9 but soon exits through a rear door on the right side of the screen, leading to a parking lot. He leaves the door propped open and returns through it, according to a law enforcement source involved in the investigation.
July 20, 2012 - Eighteen minutes into the movie, shortly after midnight, Holmes opens fire into the audience.
Holmes is "dressed head-to-toe in protective gear"- a ballistic helmet, protective gear for his legs, throat and groin, black gloves and a gas mask. He props open the door, before throwing two tear gas canisters into the theater. After both canisters explode, witnesses say he started shooting, first at the ceiling and then at the crowd. Police say he used an AR-15 rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun and at least one of two .40-caliber handguns police recovered at the scene.
Twelve people are killed and 70 are wounded.

In conclusion, every theater is different and it is up to you to figure out the best spot to make your chances of survival better in case a situation arises.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
"Speak softly and carry a big stick."
-Theodore Roosevelt 26th President of the United States

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I stay away from movie theaters and have for years.

Why?

Rudeness, not terror.

People put their feet on the back of your seat and start in shifting the back of your chair/seat, blab out loud while the movie is playing either to each other in the next seat or on a phone or, well the list is endless.

Oh for the days when theaters employed ushers who made certain theater goers simply behave, watch and enjoy the movie or get tossed out if customers were a disruptive pain...

Thank goodness for netflix and large, flat screen tv's and a great sound system.

P.S. My popcorn is better too...movie theaters, pppffttttttt!!!

PackinPig

Post by PackinPig »

:iagree: :lol::
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
"Speak softly and carry a big stick."
-Theodore Roosevelt 26th President of the United States

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

We just limit our outings to movies and public venues etc. to ... zero. How many actually carry spare mags, in case of multiple assailants or where you'd find yourself in a full blown gun fight? I know I do and I presume most in this forum do, but your average chl'er likely has only one mag.
Then there are these jihadi animals. They walk in, activate the detonator and off they go along with everyone in close proximity. You could have had a bazooka and you'd stil get nowhere. Why? Because that animal is already several steps ahead of you before you even notice him or her.

Nah. Large gatherings, movies etc. do not interest me at all.

I'll just park my rear end at home, kick my feet up, bust out some popcorn and enjoy!

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

If I was going to be an active shooter I would be on the first row in front of at least one exit, that way it would force "the crowd" to bottleneck Going out the other exit! By causing everybody to mass on one side it increases the hit ratio, we all know hitting anything with a pistol requires practice, how many of these mass shooters put in range time? They went where people would be very packed and made easy targets! I believe sitting up at the top of the theater is sound advice.

I always have a spare mag, that gives me 29rds on my person
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “Off-Topic”