Movie theater scenario, any tips?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 3

Movie theater scenario, any tips?

Post by CHLLady »

We are seeing a trend on movie theater attacks by these unstable cowards. Does anyone have a link to share with movie theater scenario advice? We don't attend theaters that are 30.06, so at least we will have a chance to fight back.

I'm wondering if sitting near an exit is even wise because the BG wants a swift exit. As a family we always get there early and pick our seats at the top, sitting in the same spots nearly every time so that the kids know where we are in the dark.

Your thoughts?
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

romeofox
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Movie theater scenario, any tips?

Post by romeofox »

If you're going to a 30.06 posted theater bring your perfectly legal tactical light. Blind the attacker, a dose of peperspray or mace might give yours and everyone else a fighting chance.

atxscubasteve

Post by atxscubasteve »

I would say sit near the top, or about the last row. That way you know what's going on in front of you. Or just invest in an 83 inch 4k TV with 7.2 surround sound and stadium seating. For me $10000 is worth it when it comes to protecting my life yet still getting the theatre experience.
01/25/2013-Drop off Packet at DPS Dropbox
02/17/2013-Materials Received "Background Check Under Review"
03/14/2013-Manufacturing Complete
03/20/2013-PLASTIC!!!

Cjwglock19

Post by Cjwglock19 »

We sit in the top row on the exit side. I sit on the end, then my wife and children. My wife and I have discussed that if something happened I would step up and into the row in front of us to fire while her and our kids make their way to the door if possible. From here, I could give them cover fire and insure their safety. However, this would only work if the person were adjacent to me, but with me in the corner that is a higher probability. However, if the shooter came in the exit or was near it (direct line with me) they are to get on the floor and crawl away from me as I will engage.

At least we've discussed it.
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

One TV station interviewed a NEW YORK police guy who said lay down and wait your turn, but better TV News interview is here:
ALERRT http://alerrt.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (San Marcos) was on the Austin News on this video
http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/296297 ... ter-attack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FOX 7 talked to the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training, or ALERRT, Center at Texas State, One of the largest active shooter defense training programs in the United States, to find out what people can do if they are involved in an active shooter event.
http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/296297 ... ter-attack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by NotRPB on Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

romeofox wrote:If you're going to a 30.06 posted theater bring your perfectly legal tactical light. Blind the attacker, a dose of peperspray or mace might give yours and everyone else a fighting chance.
CHLLady wrote:We don't attend theaters that are 30.06, so at least we will have a chance to fight back.
At or near the top is probably a good choice. It would give you more reaction time and a better field of view. It's not the best for viewing the movie and it has its pros and cons. Some theaters don't have an exit up there, so you're trapped in that case. Some do and someone could come up behind you even if you're in the last row.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Right2Carry »

I don't do theaters anymore since Redbox came along. For me the experience just isn't worth the annoyance of talkers, seat kickers, and those who arrive late and want everyone to accommodate them so they can sit together. I would rather watch it in my TV for a whole let less and eat better food in a relaxed atmosphere.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Right2Carry wrote:I don't do theaters anymore since Redbox came along. For me the experience just isn't worth the annoyance of talkers, seat kickers, and those who arrive late and want everyone to accommodate them so they can sit together. I would rather watch it in my TV for a whole let less and eat better food in a relaxed atmosphere.
:iagree:

I would add: Spend a LOT of time at the range and get to where you make precision shots at 25 yards and beyond with the most powerful, highest capacity gun you can carry. Get the most powerful hand held light you can find and hold it away from your body. I would sit near emergency exits because you want to get outside, not stuck in the shooting gallery. IF the worst happens, remember that the best way to handle an ambush if you can't immediately get away, is to attack the ambusher and stay low. The military calls it, "violence of action."

With the money you saved, you can have an AR-15 next to your recliner and a load bearing vest with 10 full 30 round mags. Sit back in your own home and relax. You're prepared for almost anything. This last is a joke, obviously and the previous paragraph is for those who have trained to take that action. We encourage our extended family to join us for an evening's entertainment at home. I just have no desire to be around any more firefights.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

ShootDontTalk wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:I don't do theaters anymore since Redbox came along. For me the experience just isn't worth the annoyance of talkers, seat kickers, and those who arrive late and want everyone to accommodate them so they can sit together. I would rather watch it in my TV for a whole let less and eat better food in a relaxed atmosphere.

I would add: Spend a LOT of time at the range and get to where you make precision shots at 25 yards and beyond with the most powerful, highest capacity gun you can carry. Get the most powerful hand held light you can find and hold it away from your body. I would sit near emergency exits because you want to get outside, not stuck in the shooting gallery. IF the worst happens, remember that the best way to handle an ambush if you can't immediately get away, is to attack the ambusher and stay low. The military calls it, "violence of action."

With the money you saved, you can have an AR-15 next to your recliner and a load bearing vest with 10 full 30 round mags. Sit back in your own home and relax. You're prepared for almost anything. This last is a joke, obviously and the previous paragraph is for those who have trained to take that action. We encourage our extended family to join us for an evening's entertainment at home. I just have no desire to be around any more firefights.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CHLLady »

Thank you for your responses and the link. I agree with the whole home entertainment idea, but sometimes you just feel the need to get out of the house. I've been telling hubby it's time for a new tv. Lol.

Right2carry,
I totally agree with the training and flashlight. The flashlight has already come in handy when we lost electricity in the theater a few months ago. It felt good to be prepared. The lady with the nice purse has more than just a tube of lipstick. ;-) Lol.
We find ourselves people watching, especially since we get there early. We have a family emergency password that we have discussed with the kids and using it in the movie theater scenario. My concern is the best location to sit. Back up against the wall at the top or near the exit? Colorado shooter came in from the exit. Louisiana shooter exited, saw cops and came back inside and started shooting again.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

CHLLady wrote:Thank you for your responses and the link. I agree with the whole home entertainment idea, but sometimes you just feel the need to get out of the house. I've been telling hubby it's time for a new tv. Lol.

Right2carry,
I totally agree with the training and flashlight. The flashlight has already come in handy when we lost electricity in the theater a few months ago. It felt good to be prepared. The lady with the nice purse has more than just a tube of lipstick. ;-) Lol.
We find ourselves people watching, especially since we get there early. We have a family emergency password that we have discussed with the kids and using it in the movie theater scenario. My concern is the best location to sit. Back up against the wall at the top or near the exit? Colorado shooter came in from the exit. Louisiana shooter exited, saw cops and came back inside and started shooting again.
That wasn't my post.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Right2Carry and I are in complete agreement on this topic.

Too few are courteous enough for me to ever go to a theatre.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

romeofox wrote:If you're going to a 30.06 posted theater bring your perfectly legal tactical light. Blind the attacker, a dose of peperspray or mace might give yours and everyone else a fighting chance.
I dont think I would want to stand out in the crowd by shining a (target) light. Even if holding the light away from my body, I wouldnt want him blindly shooting in the direction where my family is - my #1 priority.

Pepper spray may be a good idea if you can get close enough, but if I were that close I could probably tackle him faster than pulling the spray.

My preferred method is get low, stomp the gas and pop the clutch.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Return to “Off-Topic”