Ham roll call?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 5

Ham roll call?

Post by OldCannon »

Finally got my tech license a couple months ago and my vanity approved last month:

K0GAR (it's in honor of my baby brother who passed from cancer five years ago)

Anyway, I have a Kenwood TM-D710GA in my truck and a Kenwood TH-D72A, but still haven't made my first contact yet (just lurking so far).

Was curious how many other hams are here. I know a few of you use your callsigns as your login name, but wondered if there are others quietly lurking :coolgleamA:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Ham roll call?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

KD5GR here, but you probably know that. You have two mighty fine radios there! I'm running Kenwood TM-V71A's in my car and as a base unit. I'm going to get A Yaesu FTM-400DR as soon as I get the DR-1X repeater up. It's for the Texas Youth Amateur Radio Club (http://www.TYARC.org).

Welcome to the hobby!
Chas.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

There is a topic running here that has a lot of the folks listed in it http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=70538

I am KEØFV
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

Welcome aboard! I think I was more excited to get my paper from the FCC than my plastic from DPS.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Congrats on the Tech license OldCannon. Hope you enjoy hamming. I know I have.

I'm AA5LD.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Growing up in southern Commiefornia I bought a little hand held ham radio years ago for a Just in case situation. I'm not licensed and I've never used it but it's nice to have in the bug out bag.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

I celebrated 56 years of being licensed a couple of months ago.

After 42 years of patient, persistent, experienced, dedicated, skillful procrastination, I upgraded from Advanced to Extra last fall.

I have a bunch of radios, Tentec Omni VI+, Elecraft K-2, ICOM 706MKIIG, MFJ 9020. My dipole came down this spring in the storms, so I put up a rotating dipole 44' long this summer. I also have a homebrew clone S9v31 that I built, using Petlowany coils for radials. HOA limitations, and the solid rock here makes a tower and rotating antennas a dicey proposition. I hope to try a ~300' loop before long. After decades of all sorts of activity, I only work QRP CW.

In my past life, I was a VC, EC, DXer, DFer, repeater trustee of a very large system in San Diego, and was a Radioman in the Navy Reserve before I got my commission.

My masterful procrastination drives my wife nuts. She wants me to join a support group, and I may, some day. I checked into it. They haven't met yet, so there is no rush.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

cheezit
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cheezit »

KF5ZYS, FORMER KF6RHT. Not on hf much do to hoa rules but everyonce in awhile ill string up a 6m delta or a 20m dipole. Home rig is a ft 857d , ht is a vx7r. Tring to find a 2m, 440 unit for the truck.
Close to 25 years now.
Congrats.

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

I'm a General License since 1964, been inactive for 20 years
Got my ARRL QST subscription going
The equipment sure has changed in 20 years

I'm retired now and will get the Extra and try the repeater world

Reluctant to post my call, reveals way too much for the internet bad guys.

It is amazing to me what has happened as to loosening the requirements, no Morse code. Even my First Class Radiotelephone has been obsoleted (I understand the requirement to have it was keeping the ladies out).
You may have the last word.

OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

KG5HTV here. Just got my Tech license in June. Have a Yaesu FT60R handheld. Want a base VHF/UHF and will get when I find a good used unit.
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

jamminbutter

Post by jamminbutter »

KF5KGE and the wifey is KF5KGD.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

K5NRA, was KF9TM, and N2AZM. A very long time ago (1955) I was a novice licensee for a year, and then in 1964 I got a tech license which I let lapse. I have no recollection of those calls.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Keith B wrote:There is a topic running here that has a lot of the folks listed in it http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=70538

I am KEØFV
Weird. I did a search before posting and that thread didn't turn up, not sure why :(

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:You have two mighty fine radios there! I'm running Kenwood TM-V71A's in my car and as a base unit. ....
Welcome to the hobby!
Chas.
Thanks! There's sooooo much to learn with this thing, and (ironically) I don't have much of a commute to work (takes me a whole 10 minutes :lol: ), so I don't get much time to goof around right now. I definitely need to find a local Elmer who knows how to help me make the most of my 710 system.

mojohn

Post by mojohn »

KF5ZMD here. Been licensed a couple years now. Volunteer with a very great group, http://www.wc-ares.org/
Congrats!
John

Return to “Off-Topic”