Ham roll call?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bennies
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Ham roll call?

Post by Bennies »

Thank you for the info. Still waiting on my call but hope to talk with you all on air soon!
GOA member
NRA member
TSRA member
Glock 23 w/Crossbreed Supertuck

K5CLC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K5CLC »

My username gives it away, Licensed since 2004. Extra Class operator, mainly mobile comms and field radio, what i enjoy most of the hobby.
But I do have dual band/HF in the house for weather nets and such. Running dual band mobile (2m/440mhz) in the truck, Yaesu FT-7900R which primarily stays on simplex frequencies because i dont get into the daily commuter routine traffic. Also have an Alinco SR8T HF rig, mounted behind the seat with remote head in the console. Can run 10m - 80m with tuned hamsticks I keep tucked away when i need them. Not a member of local clubs, except my local Lodge. And there's another thread to look for or start!
Who here is a Mason? :tiphat: If there isnt one, i'll start it.
Chris
The Intelligent Response is a Brave Response : http://tinyurl.com/BraveResponse

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

Bennies,

Take a look at repeaterbook.com online or the application for android or iPhone for repeaters in your area. Lots of search options to narrow down what you are interested in. Load up the radio with repeaters and then operate the radio in scan mode during different times of the day. Take notes about what you hear and when. That will help you order the list from highest to lowest usage. Computer software to program and maintain your repeater data is key to keeping your sanity.

A note on the private info... Back in the good old day of black Bakelite and rotary dial telephones there was the "yellow pages" with your name, phone number and address. Now days the FCC database gives up your name and address. I can't see that as compromising, but some will.

Mike 73, KE5MC
Bennies wrote:
thetexan wrote:Remember that your call gives away a lot of your private info you may not want released
Good point I edited my old one from my post. Thanks
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mcscanner wrote:Bennies,

. . . Computer software to program and maintain your repeater data is key to keeping your sanity.

Mike 73, KE5MC
:iagree: !!!!!!! Either use the factory software to load memories, or get the proper CHIRP version for your radio. It's free and it works like a spreadsheet. Be careful selecting a programming cable, if you don't get the factory version. The factory cables are absurdly expensive for what you get, so I bought two on eBay. One works, the other one doesn't.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

K5CLC wrote:My username gives it away, Licensed since 2004. Extra Class operator, mainly mobile comms and field radio, what i enjoy most of the hobby.
But I do have dual band/HF in the house for weather nets and such. Running dual band mobile (2m/440mhz) in the truck, Yaesu FT-7900R which primarily stays on simplex frequencies because i dont get into the daily commuter routine traffic. Also have an Alinco SR8T HF rig, mounted behind the seat with remote head in the console. Can run 10m - 80m with tuned hamsticks I keep tucked away when i need them. Not a member of local clubs, except my local Lodge. And there's another thread to look for or start!
Who here is a Mason? :tiphat: If there isnt one, i'll start it.
Chris
I watched your Baofeng testing video. That was amazing.

I was licensed in 1976 and upgraded to Advanced in 1977. I was inactive for 20+ years, but got back into the hobby because of a post about the Baofeng here on the Forum. Now I'm running a Kenwood TM-V71A both at home and in my car. I have a Wouxun, Baofeng and Kenwood TH-F6A HTs.

Chas.

twjones
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twjones »

W9TWJ here.

Haven't been on the air in a while.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

The last update on this thread was in December. Surely more folks have gotten their ticket since then!

I'm going to post something else about Ham radio, TexasCHLforum and guns in general in a new thread.

Chas.

K5CLC

Post by K5CLC »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The last update on this thread was in December. Surely more folks have gotten their ticket since then!

I'm going to post something else about Ham radio, TexasCHLforum and guns in general in a new thread.

Chas.
Oh yeah got my license to carry in Texas and Arizona since this thread last had activity. I carry every day, even if its my pocket gun (LCP 380). And always have my M&P shield 9mm nearby.
Still doing ham radio and made a part two of the Baofeng video go check it out. Lol.
And still doing things for the local Lodge..
The Intelligent Response is a Brave Response : http://tinyurl.com/BraveResponse

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

KF5IZN
I have a technicians ticket. I operate a Yaesu FT7900 out of my car and an FT8800 from home I also have a couple of Baufengs but doesn't everyone? I have always been amazed at the high percentage of Hams that are CHL holders and vice versa.

73s
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

I'm also a ham, N5AFD and work with the WX5FWD Fort Worth National Weather Service Skywarn radio desk team. We are ALWAYS looking for spotters within our 46 county warning area(especially in our outlying counties), whether you are part of an organized RACES/ARES organization or not. We take reports from anyone. More info at http://www.wx5fwd.org.

Ham-Com is also coming up in Irving on June 9-10. I believe it's still the 2nd largest ham fest in the country.
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

WX5MKE - I used to be a storm spotter with the South Plains Storm Spotters and got my Tech. A new job schedule took that time away. I haven't been on in a long time. I have a Yaesu mobile and HT. Never got into the base or antennas for the house since we ran off the repeater network following storms.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

MustangGlocker wrote:. . . Ham-Com is also coming up in Irving on June 9-10. I believe it's still the 2nd largest ham fest in the country.
A friend, Eric (KF5RUW), and I will be there. It will be the first time either of us have been to Ham-Com. I wish I had been to it in Plano at least once to compare with Irving. I need to find some LDF5-50A for the new repeater. Although Martha is a ham (WD5GAV), she hasn't been on the air in 20+ years and has no interest in Ham-Com. We both got our tickets in 1976 primarily for mobile communications long before cell phone. I don't think she's touched a mic since she got her first "car phone."

Chas.

z_g_yang

Post by z_g_yang »

KG5SRK here.
I got Technician and General this April. So far only have a Baofeng HT , and USB SDR to listen to HF.

mdubtx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mdubtx »

You guys are sucking me in. ;) I've had a touch of fascination with Ham since I was a boy. My father's uncle [in Baytown] was a Ham and he always encouraged me to learn it. I never gave myself much of a shot at learning code though.

Started studying tonight for a Technician license and, so far, am brushing up on my basic electricity. It still rings a bell 20+ years after class. LOL
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

mdubtx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mdubtx »

Waiting for a call sign... Passed the Technicians exam tonight. Looking into local clubs (Keller/Roanoke area) and beginner radios.
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

Return to “Off-Topic”