Self Defense Knife???

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Self Defense Knife???

Post by carlson1 »

joe817 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:I just purchased the Benchmade Auto Presidio. So far it has been great. I had a HK (made by Benchmade) OTF, but I was not comfortable with the blade that seemed to be very "lose" to it when deployed. The Presidio is a lot better made. The blade is sturdy and seems to be made with great quality. I will see how long it will last.

I'm green with envy Carl! :drool: Good choice! Other than being ambidextrous opening, it also has a safety which is a real plus. Some auto opening knives don't have one, which I think is a real drawback. Many times I had a knife open on me in my pocket when I thought the safety was on, and it was REALLY hard to get it out of my pocket. A half deployed switchblade in your pocket isn't a fun thing to deal with. :shock: They are a bear to get closed(when still in the pocket). Another plus for the knife is that the pocket clip can be changed from right side carry to left side carry. Not all knifes have that feature.
:iagree: It also has a lifetime warranty and a Lifesharp Service. All pluses for me.
https://www.benchmade.com/warranty-service
There's never a dull moment with a Benchmade... That's right! We will gladly re-sharpen your Benchmade knife to a factory razor sharp edge (service does not apply to any serrated portion of the blade). If you prefer us to sharpen your blade, or if you may have neglected to maintain your edge for a while, simply ship your knife to us. We'll not only sharpen it, but we will also inspect the knife for any warranted repairs and "tune" the knife for optimum performance.

68Charger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 68Charger »

These are just a few for myself, but usually what I tend to carry. More utility knives than SD. Still can play the SD role at anytime.

We don't need no stinking badges!

Edward Cullen

Post by Edward Cullen »

I most often carry the LEO Triple. It's the knife I like best and it goes with me everywhere. :cool:
Last edited by Edward Cullen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Tracker wrote:There's a number of knives pictured above me I would never buy for self defense. They don't have anything hinting of a hilt.
The Annoyed Man wrote:a CRKT M21-14DSFG:
http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces- ... Veff-Combo
This knife has a very pronounced hilt when it is open, which also act as flippers to open it. They also have parachord sized holes, so you can lash it to a pole and use it as a spear. Additionally, the Zeff serrations are brutally efficient, and it has a dual locking mechanism when open, instead of a simple liner lock. The pocket clip can be positioned at either end of either side. Here's an animated GIF showing the size relative to the hand, and it really does flick open as easily as shown. Comes in black too, and with the above shown spear point, or a tanto point.

I just ordered one of these off Amazon in Black for 55 and change to try. I like the looks and hope it is well made.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

1911 10MM wrote:I just ordered one of these off Amazon in Black for 55 and change to try. I like the looks and hope it is well made.
I think you’ll be satisfied with it. I still have mine, although it now sits in a pocket in my bugout bag. It was my EDC for a long time. A while back, I bought a Benchmade 940-2, and that has been my EDC ever since. In recognition of recent changes in the law, I also bought myself a large fixed blade - although I think it was legal before the change. It’s a Benchmade Fixed Contego 183. I bought the 940-2 at the 511 store in Frisco ($170-10%-$25 coupon), and I ordered the Contego on Amazon ($182.75). In both cases, the prices were lower than the MSRP.

The CRKT is a good, rugged knife, and it will cut everything their ad says it will, and those recurved serrations work as advertised. I tried it. I also appreciated that you could reverse the clip for left handed use. My only complaint over time was that the main pin, or swivel, or whatever you call it where the blade rotates, needed occasional tightening. It wasn’t like it always worked itself loose, it’s just that over time, with a lot of opening and closing, it would need to be tightened a few times. But it excels as a rugged use pocket knife.

When I bought the Benchmade, I was looking for a “gentleman’s folder” of somewhat smaller proportions, and I fell in love with the smoothness of the action and the quality of the blade steel. But I have no regrets about the CRKT, and it is a keeper.

But I would add one thing...... when AndyC took a recent knife fighting class (viewtopic.php?p=1162774#p1162774), hilts were deemed to be a negative for the reason that they can get hung up either on the stabee’s clothing, or actually IN his body, making it impossible to pull the knife back for a second strike. For me, the hilt/flippers on the CRKT make it a very good folding survival and utility knife, but in the light of what AndyC learned, it might not be the best option for a fighting knife.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Cold Steel Recon-1
Tanto, half serrated blade

I have another small 2-2.5" folder, Kershaw Shuffle. I carry this one most often and when I have my Glock. When I carry the Recon, I usually put it in my right front pocket and that gets in the way of my holster, so I don't carry the recon when I have the Glock with me. When I don't have the Glock I have two knives on me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Machetes do a good job...

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

Browning Black Label | Wihongi Signature Series Fixed

I stay true to my filipino heritage
'got to Texas ASAIC.