Self Defense Knife???

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Self Defense Knife???

Post by bmwrdr »

WildBill wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:My preference is my Boiker Turbine. It has a flipper and thumb studs, is adjustable, do it all knife and rock solid.
A serrated blade would not be my joyce instead I keep mine sharp.

https://www.boker.de/us/pocket-knife/bo ... 10130.html
Boker makes very good knives. :thumbs2:
Yes Sir they do, especially the made in Germany "Tree Brand", pricey though. I am a firm believer in quality over quantity and therefore it should be justified to spend the extra money.
:banghead: Still need a Sebanza ...
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:I'd love a Sebenza too - I'm not sure that I *need* one, but I think I need one :mrgreen:
Chris Reeve has designed some very nice knives. Though I don't think I really "need" one. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Well, I'm not saying I need one but I want one and that supersedes the need factor by far.
I wish somebody could tell if it is comfortable to carry in the pocket without scratsching a hand while performing other tasks in the same compartement of the pocket.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

I carry one similar to this one from Zero Tolerance. I tried Emerson, HK (made by Benchmade) and the ZT and I liked the ZT the best so I kept it and got rid of the others.

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0350bw

joe817

Post by joe817 »

This is a fascinating thread! Lot's of good info here. Keep it up everybody! I'm still searching & have narrowed it down to 5 or 6 models from 4 or 5 makers, and still looking. lolol.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

gdnewcomer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gdnewcomer »

I carry a Spyderco Native when wearing jeans. Spyderco Delica 4 when in shorts during the summer months. Kershaw Volt while working out in the oil patch.

gdnewcomer

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

joe817 wrote:This is a fascinating thread! Lot's of good info here. Keep it up everybody! I'm still searching & have narrowed it down to 5 or 6 models from 4 or 5 makers, and still looking. lolol.
What are your closer selections in terms of maker and model?

joe817

Post by joe817 »

bmwrdr wrote:
joe817 wrote:This is a fascinating thread! Lot's of good info here. Keep it up everybody! I'm still searching & have narrowed it down to 5 or 6 models from 4 or 5 makers, and still looking. lolol.
What are your closer selections in terms of maker and model?
Benchmade Auto Presidio - This is my fav, as it's ambidextrous(I'm left handed), but the price is my concern. Dunno, iffy at best. Has good steel though.

Protech Tactical Response - It's a dedicated left handed Auto, so it's high up on the list.

Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Covert Automatic - This is my fav, as the steel is the best of the lot, and it's the most affordable of the one's on my list of fav's.

Benchmade CLA-1

Myerco Darrel Ralph Military X-Ray Auto....The least expensive of the lot, has a GREAT safety system, but maybe problematic for me as I'm left handed. If they made a left handed model, I'd get this one, hands down. Uses same blade steel as all Benchmade knives(154 CM stainless)

Edit to add: I carried a auto opening knife(we called them switchblades back then) from the time I was 10 or 11 until I went to college in 1969. I had a dandy switchblade collection in the early to late 60's. Sold or traded them off in my younger years, so I'm partial to automatics, as you can tell.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Oh sure, I had switchblades when I was a teen and every one of them would have a collector value today.
The left hand operation of course limits your selection in the moder folding knife area. The steel is an important aspect and quiet frankly I like the harder ones with 58 HRC or higher, those stay sharp for a good while.
Thanks for sharing.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

I just purchased the Benchmade Auto Presidio. So far it has been great. I had a HK (made by Benchmade) OTF, but I was not comfortable with the blade that seemed to be very "lose" to it when deployed. The Presidio is a lot better made. The blade is sturdy and seems to be made with great quality. I will see how long it will last.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

carlson1 wrote:I just purchased the Benchmade Auto Presidio. So far it has been great. I had a HK (made by Benchmade) OTF, but I was not comfortable with the blade that seemed to be very "lose" to it when deployed. The Presidio is a lot better made. The blade is sturdy and seems to be made with great quality. I will see how long it will last.

I'm green with envy Carl! :drool: Good choice! Other than being ambidextrous opening, it also has a safety which is a real plus. Some auto opening knives don't have one, which I think is a real drawback. Many times I had a knife open on me in my pocket when I thought the safety was on, and it was REALLY hard to get it out of my pocket. A half deployed switchblade in your pocket isn't a fun thing to deal with. :shock: They are a bear to get closed(when still in the pocket). Another plus for the knife is that the pocket clip can be changed from right side carry to left side carry. Not all knifes have that feature.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

carlson1 wrote:I just purchased the Benchmade Auto Presidio. So far it has been great. I had a HK (made by Benchmade) OTF, but I was not comfortable with the blade that seemed to be very "lose" to it when deployed. The Presidio is a lot better made. The blade is sturdy and seems to be made with great quality. I will see how long it will last.

That is nice. I'd assume this does not have a button but a slideing mechanism to open it?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

bmwrdr wrote:

That is nice. I'd assume this does not have a button but a slideing mechanism to open it?
A button on the left and right that slides to deploy the blade. It also has a locking mechanism on the top of the top that keeps the knife from accidently being deployed in your pocket.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

carlson1 wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:

A button on the left and right that slides to deploy the blade. It also has a locking mechanism on the top of the top that keeps the knife from accidently being deployed in your pocket.
OK, thanks. I was looking at the manufacturers website and there are a variety of "Presidio' models.
This particular model seems to be the most practical version.

Return to “Off-Topic”