Self Defense Knife???

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ryan
Posts in topic: 2

Self Defense Knife???

Post by Ryan »

I'm curious, how many of y'all carry a dedicated self-defense knife? I know that EDC knives can also be used for protection but.... I was just curious if any of y'all have dedicated knives for self defense only.

Here's mine...it's a Spyderco Civilian
Here's the description from the Spyderco website.

In the 1990s Spyderco was approached by a specialized branch of U.S. law enforcement about making a knife for their undercover agents. These plain-clothes LEOs found themselves in situations where they often could not carry a firearm but carrying a knife was not a problem. Most had no formal training in self-defense tactics or MBC but as a last resort could use a blade to protect or extricate themselves from a life-threatening situation. This was how the Civilian model came to be.

Topbuilder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Self Defense Knife???

Post by Topbuilder »

I carry the Tenacious. I really like Spyderco.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

TangoX-ray

Post by TangoX-ray »

That is gnarly, and I want it.
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I just carry a regular old Buck knife with a clip. I carry it inside my front left pocket clipped over the front of pocket. It rides in the outside corner of my pocket. Carry more for cutting material things than for defensive purposes. Although it would work for that also. The one I'm using now actually came from the NRA-ILA. They sent it to me for making a donation. Buck knife made in USA. It's a good one.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Just picked up an Emerson Sheepdog with the new bearing system (in serrated spearpoint blade). It was expensive, but it has the smoothest opening action and grippiest handle of any self defense knife in my collection:

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Here's my EDC - I picked it with self defense in mind...

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

joe817
Posts in topic: 4

Post by joe817 »

AndyC wrote:My daily carry:

It's a carry-back from Iraq that I use daily but I'm about to retire it for a CRKT I've ordered (to replace one I lost in Iraq, oddly enough).
Andy, your Gerber is one of the one's I'm considering. What model of CRKT did you order? I've read a lot of good things about them.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

tms119

Post by tms119 »

I recommend Benchmade 908. Has a fantastic blade and real grippy g10 handle.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

What I bring to knife fights:

But if that is not an option available to me, then my EDC knife is either:

a CRKT M21-14DSFG:
http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces- ... Veff-Combo

or a Kershaw Tanto Blur
https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/blur-tanto
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:What I bring to knife fights:

But if that is not an option available to me, then my EDC knife is either:

a CRKT M21-14DSFG:
http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces- ... Veff-Combo

or a Kershaw Tanto Blur
https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/blur-tanto

:smilelol5:

Good one TAM, I was thinking the same thing I haven't practiced much with knives a means of self defense, I keep an Esee Izula neck knife with me most of the time, but it is only for when I run out of bullets. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

I've carried a knife since my granddad gave me a pocket knife when I was 10. He bought it when I was born and kept it in his drawer until he thought I was ready. I had a Cub Scout knife before that, but didn't really carry it. I still have that knife he gave me but don't carry it.

I carry a SOG Flash II, if I have pants on and not in an airport secure area. No self defense use so far, but it makes quick work of Amazon, Fedex, UPS et al deliveries, and quite a few around the home and car tasks. I've had it for 10 years or so, entirely satisfactory.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Touche TAM :lol::

I guess I was fortunate to have a father that is well versed in a few different forms of martial arts. As a young whipper snapper, I was taught Shotokan Karate and Eskrima. I'm fairly decent with a small blade, even better with a samurai... BUT, my favorite was Eskrima stick fighting. I'm much more comfortable picking up a couple sticks and going to town than I am a blade.

But yes, my blade is only for when I run out of bullets :fire

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

I want my knife to be useful as a utility knife, since that's how I'll use it most often. I have extensive training in Filipino MA so that got me into a lot of knife self defense study. So....as a utility/self defense knife my choice is also an Emerson, Journeyman (http://emersonknives.com/shop/knives/li ... yman-sf-2/). Since it doubles as a utility I don't want mine serrated.

I love Emerson's Wave cut for deploying. Deploying the knife blade is so fast it might as well be spring loaded.

There's a number of knives pictured above me I would never buy for self defense. They don't have anything hinting of a hilt. There's a reason hilts are between the blade and the grip. It's to keep your hand from slipping forward and cutting your fingers on the blade....should you ever needed to stab someone. It happens. You hit a bone or something hard and your fingers can slide right up onto the blade. Short of a hilt I want a folder that has a deep grip for my forefinger. It's a compromise. Likewise I want the handle to have a lot of grip so no slick-metal grip/handle for me.

edit:
Here's how the Wave works:

What I don't like about Emersons is the tinny screws that hold on the clip. If you carry it regularly you will ware out the screws and they'll break in half. I ordered the screws online from Amazon. I got 100 for $4. "Steel Pan Head Machine Screw, Black Oxide Finish, Meets ASME B18.6.3, #1 Phillips Drive, #2-56 Thread Size, 1/4" Length, Fully Threaded, Import (Pack of 100)"

Return to “Off-Topic”