Self Defense Knife???

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Self Defense Knife???

Post by JALLEN »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Just picked up an Emerson Sheepdog with the new bearing system (in serrated spearpoint blade). It was expensive, but it has the smoothest opening action and grippiest handle of any self defense knife in my collection:

What keeps this from being one of those dreaded, and in Texas illegal, Bowie knives, undefined in the statute, AFAIK?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:I've unfortunately had to slash someone with a knife once (attempted mugging by 3 guys on a train) and concur with the benefit of something to keep one's hand from sliding forward. Although I didn't get cut myself, the possibility was (partly) on my mind at the time - but what I carry in my pocket is mostly for utility anyway. I happen to like some serrations - they can do the heavier work without dulling the straight edge.
I was wondering the same about the serrations. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

JALLEN wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Just picked up an Emerson Sheepdog with the new bearing system (in serrated spearpoint blade). It was expensive, but it has the smoothest opening action and grippiest handle of any self defense knife in my collection:

What keeps this from being one of those dreaded, and in Texas illegal, Bowie knives, undefined in the statute, AFAIK?
Size matters.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
JALLEN wrote:

Size matters.
How so?

TPC 46.01, the latest version I know of, says:

Code: Select all

(6) “Illegal knife” means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword;  or
(F) spear.
- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-46-01.html#sthash.gZkw4Tcu.dpuf
AFAIK, no other definition of "Bowie knife" appears in the law, which is why I raised this point. Maybe someone knows what a "Bowie knife" is.

Thise instruments defined in (B) through (F) above can have blades less than "five and one-half inches and be illegal. A knife with a blade of more than that is illegal regardless of what type it might be.

Many people recognize a Bowie knife by the characteristic that the upper edge is sharpened back from the point to the widest part of the blade.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

While an overzealous cop or DA could probably try to make the case that something like the knife in question is a 'Bowie Knife' - I think it falls short of all the characteristics that make it fit that undefined generic name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowie_knife
A Bowie knife (pronounced /ˈbuːiː/ boo-ee[2][3][4] or /ˈboʊ.iː/ bow-ee[4]) is a pattern of fixed-blade fighting knife created by James Black in the early 19th century for Jim Bowie, who had become famous for his use of a large knife at a duel known as the Sandbar Fight.

Since the first incarnation, the Bowie knife has come to incorporate several recognizable and characteristic design features, although in common usage the term refers to any large sheath knife with a crossguard and a clip point.
Its missing 2 of the main defining characteristics, the cross-guard and not being a fixed blade. Clip point alone does not make a Bowie...
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Tracker wrote:There's a number of knives pictured above me I would never buy for self defense. They don't have anything hinting of a hilt.
The Annoyed Man wrote:a CRKT M21-14DSFG:
http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces- ... Veff-Combo
This knife has a very pronounced hilt when it is open, which also act as flippers to open it. They also have parachord sized holes, so you can lash it to a pole and use it as a spear. Additionally, the Zeff serrations are brutally efficient, and it has a dual locking mechanism when open, instead of a simple liner lock. The pocket clip can be positioned at either end of either side. Here's an animated GIF showing the size relative to the hand, and it really does flick open as easily as shown. Comes in black too, and with the above shown spear point, or a tanto point.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

JALLEN wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
JALLEN wrote:

Size matters.
How so?

TPC 46.01, the latest version I know of, says:

Code: Select all

(6) “Illegal knife” means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword;  or
(F) spear.
- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-46-01.html#sthash.gZkw4Tcu.dpuf
AFAIK, no other definition of "Bowie knife" appears in the law, which is why I raised this point. Maybe someone knows what a "Bowie knife" is.

Thise instruments defined in (B) through (F) above can have blades less than "five and one-half inches and be illegal. A knife with a blade of more than that is illegal regardless of what type it might be.

Many people recognize a Bowie knife by the characteristic that the upper edge is sharpened back from the point to the widest part of the blade.
It is only a 3.5" blade, and it is a folder.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

For a fixed blade, I most often carry the LEO Triple O:

NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

karder
Posts in topic: 1

Post by karder »

I carry a well worn Gerber 06 Tanto blade. It's the best knife I have ever owned and it goes with me everywhere.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Jketchum

Post by Jketchum »

image.jpeg
Here's my edc.
been carrying this knive for probably close to 10 years. I've lost and replaced 5 or 6 of them over the years.

loktite

Post by loktite »

The Annoyed Man wrote:This knife has a very pronounced hilt when it is open, which also act as flippers to open it. They also have parachord sized holes, so you can lash it to a pole and use it as a spear. Additionally, the Zeff serrations are brutally efficient, and it has a dual locking mechanism when open, instead of a simple liner lock. The pocket clip can be positioned at either end of either side. Here's an animated GIF showing the size relative to the hand, and it really does flick open as easily as shown. Comes in black too, and with the above shown spear point, or a tanto point.
Nice, think I know what my next knife will be. Still kind of kicking myself for not jumping on a ZT-350tiger stripe when it was on sale for < $80 for all of like 6 hours on Amazon -- waited too long to pull the trigger.

Off property, I currently carry the Ka-Bar TDI 1480 (Drop point straight edge), and usually a TDI LDK on lanyard. Cheapie Gerber paraframe is my edc folder on and off property atm. This M16-14SFG looks to be my next off property edc folder (though I think i'll go with the black). Thanks TAM :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I don't believe that a folding knife can be a "Bowie Knife".
NRA Endowment Member

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bmwrdr »

My preference is my Boiker Turbine. It has a flipper and thumb studs, is adjustable, do it all knife and rock solid.
A serrated blade would not be my joyce instead I keep mine sharp.

https://www.boker.de/us/pocket-knife/bo ... 10130.html
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

bmwrdr wrote:My preference is my Boiker Turbine. It has a flipper and thumb studs, is adjustable, do it all knife and rock solid.
A serrated blade would not be my joyce instead I keep mine sharp.

https://www.boker.de/us/pocket-knife/bo ... 10130.html
Boker makes very good knives. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”